English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 February 2023, 09:12   #721
TuKo
Apollo Team

Then saving window position on exit would be awesome ;-)
Old 25 February 2023, 19:02   #722
lioneer

Technical question for all: I have problem with voice in some games, Discworld (music ok, voice is strong noise only), Broken sword1 (just music/background sound but voice is silent), Indy4 PC version (just music, voice is silent), Police Quest 4 (music ok but voice is strong noise as in Discworld). Touche adventure is silent too (only MIDI music is playing). Can somebody help me? For music i use CAMD midi output.

Last edited by lioneer; 25 February 2023 at 20:54.
Old 27 March 2023, 19:46   #723
JJ__

Hi All,

I've posted a question in the Lands of Lore thread but does anybody know what the game file Scummvm 1.5 AGA is looking for to be able to play it on my Amiga 1200 68030 with 64mb ram? I'm using kickstart 3.1.4.1

Currently I get a message pop up in Scummvm saying it can't find a game file.

NB I have the file kyra.dat in my extras folder and it's pointed to by the options menu.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 27 March 2023, 23:00   #724
NovaCoder

Hi,

Make sure it's the v1.5 kyta.data file, they sometimes change so you can't mix data files with different Scummvm versions. Just download the windows version and copy the data files.

Are you sure you have a complete copy of LOL? Maybe it's just missing something

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 March 2023 at 23:28.
Old 28 March 2023, 22:11   #725
JJ__

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Hi,

Make sure it's the v1.5 kyta.data file, they sometimes change so you can't mix data files with different Scummvm versions. Just download the windows version and copy the data files.

Are you sure you have a complete copy of LOL? Maybe it's just missing something
Thanks for the tips but unfortunately it's still saying it can't find a game file?

I tried a few different versions of kyra.dat but I guess the one that actually came with v1.5 is the one to use?
Also, when I run it in Scummvm in Windows I only need to extract "game.dat" into a "data" folder with it's sub folders and that's enough to get it running fine, but I'm afraid it's not the same story on the Amiga sadly.
Old 29 March 2023, 00:28   #726
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ__ View Post
Thanks for the tips but unfortunately it's still saying it can't find a game file?

I tried a few different versions of kyra.dat but I guess the one that actually came with v1.5 is the one to use?
Also, when I run it in Scummvm in Windows I only need to extract "game.dat" into a "data" folder with it's sub folders and that's enough to get it running fine, but I'm afraid it's not the same story on the Amiga sadly.
Strange, it is definitely able to at least run on older releases as shown in this video

[ Show youtube player ]

I think only version 1.9 runs it properly though and that requires an 060
Old 29 March 2023, 10:10   #727
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Hi All,

I've posted a question in the Lands of Lore thread but does anybody know what the game file Scummvm 1.5 AGA is looking for to be able to play it on my Amiga 1200 68030 with 64mb ram? I'm using kickstart 3.1.4.1

Currently I get a message pop up in Scummvm saying it can't find a game file.

NB I have the file kyra.dat in my extras folder and it's pointed to by the options menu.

Thanks for any help in advance.
I suppose You mean by options menu as set "Other" path to Other in PROGDIR: ?
Old 29 March 2023, 19:03   #728
JJ__

Quote:
Strange, it is definitely able to at least run on older releases as shown in this video

[ Show youtube player ]

I think only version 1.9 runs it properly though and that requires an 060
Ok, thanks for the update. I live in hope still though :-)
Old 29 March 2023, 19:28   #729
JJ__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
I suppose You mean by options menu as set "Other" path to Other in PROGDIR: ?
Hi, when I mentioned 'options' I meant defining where the Extras folder needs to be pointed to under the 'Paths' option in the main Scummvm menu
Old 30 March 2023, 01:50   #730
NovaCoder

Quote:
Hi, when I mentioned 'options' I meant defining where the Extras folder needs to be pointed to under the 'Paths' option in the main Scummvm menu
Do you have a WinUAE workbench setup? What I used to do when I couldn't get something running is to use a vanilla WB (no hacks and patches) running on WinUAE to test the application. If you can get it running with your game data in WinUAE then you can try and narrow down the issue. You could even setup WinUAE as an 060 and try your game data files with v1.9 of ScummVM AGA to test the data files themselves.
Old 30 March 2023, 13:21   #731
JJ__

Quote:
Do you have a WinUAE workbench setup? What I used to do when I couldn't get something running is to use a vanilla WB (no hacks and patches) running on WinUAE to test the application. If you can get it running with your game data in WinUAE then you can try and narrow down the issue. You could even setup WinUAE as an 060 and try your game data files with v1.9 of ScummVM AGA to test the data files themselves.
That's a good idea and will try some variations out. Thanks!
Old 18 April 2023, 05:50   #732
snowpile79

Recently I downloaded SCUMMVM AGA version 1.9.0.05 (from aminet. I upgraded from the 1.5 version there). Every game runs fine except for all SCI games. All SCI games only give a black screen and freeze my A4000. Ctrl amiga amiga still reboots. I've tried all the early Kings Quest 16 color SCI games as well as Colonel's Bequest (Laura Bow), Loom etc..
Kings Quest V runs great etc..

In SCUMMvm 1.5 on aminet everything runs fine even SCI games although there is a slight timing issue with MIDI (I have an external Roland RA30 via a serial to midi cable) and sometimes the timing is off in the midi songs by just a bit even with my 68060 50mhz theres a slite "off beat" timing issue once in a while but not as bad as an 040. This timing issue decreases with faster CPU's and with a Vampire there is no timing issue.

Anyways to troubleshoot 1.9.05 I slowly turned everything off even midi, all sounds, tried emulate EGA (vs VGA). Yes I made sure the extra's directory is set properly although I believe SCI emulation is part of the core vs files in the extra folder anyways.

My setup is: A4000, Kickstart 3.2.2 (And Workbench 3.2.2) BFG9060 with a Rev 5. 68060 (full 060 FPU MMU) at 50mhz, AGA (I do have a VA2000 RTG card in Zoro III mode but am not using it, I'm using AGA for now as I like the old tube 1084 monitor). Also an Xsurf 100 with a Rapid Road USB, Buddha IDE anniversary edition running an IDE CDRom and external SDcard reader (my boot cardflash is off the on-board IDE and is FFS format. Its 16gig cardflash and has two partitions. SUMMvm 1.9 and 1.5 runn off the apps partition on this cardflash) . Latest Camd for midi, Ahi 4.18, One of the latest Mulibs for 060 libraries and kickstart mapping, Rev 11 Super buster, Roland RA30 for Roland MT-32 emulation and general MIDI music. Just being thorough in case any of this matters.

Again... I did shut everything off in scummvm but the basic basics and still no-go for any SCI game. In 1.5 SCI works fine other then the random midi timing issue where music goes a bit off beat randomly with cpu load.

Just thought I'd report the issue as I read the revision history and in 1.9.0.05 it states SCI improvements and for me no SCI games work .

Thanks for all you do.
Old 18 April 2023, 07:37   #733
NovaCoder

No worries, thanks for letting me know.

It's entirely possible that I broke the AGA/RTG SCI support with the last release I did (although I'm pretty sure I at least tested it with a quick game of SpaceQuest). Can someone else try and run any SCI games with v1.9.0.05 (either AGA or RTG). Thanks
Old 18 April 2023, 15:54   #734
Estrayk

Quote:
No worries, thanks for letting me know.

It's entirely possible that I broke the AGA/RTG SCI support with the last release I did (although I'm pretty sure I at least tested it with a quick game of SpaceQuest). Can someone else try and run any SCI games with v1.9.0.05 (either AGA or RTG). Thanks
I tested Quest of Glory: So you want to be a hero (SCI0 game) and it works
I tested Police Quest III (SCI1 game) and it works.
I tested Quest for Glory III: Wages of War (SCI1.1 game) and it works
I tested Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (SCI2 game) and it works (slow like hell but it runs)

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra...ve_Interpreter

A1200 AGA 060 80Mhz KS3.2.1 (MIDI: Roland SC-88)

Last edited by Estrayk; 18 April 2023 at 16:05.
Old 18 April 2023, 23:44   #735
NovaCoder

Great thanks for testing
Old 19 April 2023, 04:16   #736
snowpile79

Wow! Thanks for testing. Wonder what the heck is going on then. Did you test with AGA or similar specs to my rig? Could it be KS 3.2.2? Not sure where to start on this oddness. Oh well its something with my rig then.
Old 19 April 2023, 05:28   #737
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpile79 View Post
Wow! Thanks for testing. Wonder what the heck is going on then. Did you test with AGA or similar specs to my rig? Could it be KS 3.2.2? Not sure where to start on this oddness. Oh well its something with my rig then.
I just had a thought, might be the closewb option in the Scummvm ini file, try setting it to 0. Maybe incompatible with 3.2?

Also, don't mix game extra data files with different versions of Scummvm, they aren't always the same.
Old 24 April 2023, 01:50   #738
snowpile79

Thanks for the idea. I did disable closewb (made sure it was commented out in the scummvm icon and set to false in the scummvm.ini file). No change . I also made sure no foreign dat files were in the extra folder. As a reminder all other games seem to work. Probaly is some odd Kickstart 3.2.2 incompatibility.
I did try betajaen's 2.2.0 port here with force_aga turned on (it otherwise uses RTG) https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56836&page=18 which works amazingly. Its very fast too. For the older 16 color SCI games like KQ4 he seems to use a slightly altered palette too giving a slightly more flesh toned red for skin colors and altered blues for the sky and water (replacing bright blue on the EGA pallet). Dark blue is altered too. I like this but some may not just a heads up for others who try that port. His port is aimed at the SCI releases (seems to play all the SCI games I've thrown at it including KQV etc the later ones).

Anyways thanks for the ideas! Any others are appreciated. I guess I'll use Betajaen's for SCI while I figure out this 1.9 port.
Old 24 April 2023, 14:30   #739
betajaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpile79 View Post
Thanks for the idea. I did disable closewb (made sure it was commented out in the scummvm icon and set to false in the scummvm.ini file). No change . I also made sure no foreign dat files were in the extra folder. As a reminder all other games seem to work. Probaly is some odd Kickstart 3.2.2 incompatibility.
I did try betajaen's 2.2.0 port here with force_aga turned on (it otherwise uses RTG) https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56836&page=18 which works amazingly. Its very fast too. For the older 16 color SCI games like KQ4 he seems to use a slightly altered palette too giving a slightly more flesh toned red for skin colors and altered blues for the sky and water (replacing bright blue on the EGA pallet). Dark blue is altered too. I like this but some may not just a heads up for others who try that port. His port is aimed at the SCI releases (seems to play all the SCI games I've thrown at it including KQV etc the later ones).

Anyways thanks for the ideas! Any others are appreciated. I guess I'll use Betajaen's for SCI while I figure out this 1.9 port.
I am glad you like the colours. I use them on twitch.tv when streaming for those games; either through shaders in OBS, or directly changing the palette in the Sierra executables via a hex-editor.

However, they wasn't meant to be the default colour palette with the build I put out - it was an option in the game settings. When I get the time, I will try and release a new build with that bug fixed, so it defaults to the normal EGA.

Cheers,

betajaen
Old 25 April 2023, 10:43   #740
itsmedoofer

Quote:
I just had a thought, might be the closewb option in the Scummvm ini file, try setting it to 0. Maybe incompatible with 3.2?
Hi,

CloseWB does seem to cause strange effects on 3.2, not done extensive testing but it seems to cause gfx glitches at least, not played far enough to know if I get crashes.