English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 July 2012, 09:22   #21
fishyfish
Banned

Most people tend to say Zool was over-rated, and apart from a few over-zealous magazines back in the day its reception was a bit luke warm. To me this suggests it wasnt over-rated as it clearly wasnt rated all that highly
Having said this though I thought Zool2 was a really nice platformer, and was what the original Zool should have been. It's a shame the amiga version was the worst version released. Check out Zool2 on PC or Jaguar and the amiga version doesnt reach the standards set by them. I still enjoyed it on amiga, but it wasnt as good as the other versions.
As for the James Pond series, I personally think Robocod is one of the best ever platformers and holds its own against Mario and Sonic. On the surface it may appear a little generic, but when a person really delves in they soon discover its not what's on the surface that makes it so great.

SWIV Id have to agree with. It'k not bad, but far from great. Very basic gameplay and boring backdrops. It plays like a slick SEUCK game so much that theres even a clone done with seuck which manages to play pretty similarly (one of the better seuck games admittedly, but this doesnt stop it highlighting the very basic gameplay of SWIV).
Old 02 July 2012, 16:17   #22
Christian
Zone Friend

Overrated: any Sensible Soccer, Zool 1&2, Pinball Illusions, Street Fighter II, Cannon Fodder, Gods, James Pond.

I realise lots of people love those games, just didn't do it for me.

Edit: actually, I played Cannon Fodder(s) on the PC. Sorry, if the Amiga version is much better. Need to re-visit these some time.
Old 02 July 2012, 16:39   #23
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by obmij77 View Post
Under: Supercars II. Good physics, good courses (very hard late on), sort of funny at times and what did AF give it - 82%....balls.
AF were a bit of a nonsense when it comes to racing games. They seemed to mark them all down on originality or some such spurious reason. Lotus 1 and 2 both received 89% from AF and its hard to find more well loved Amiga games.

Another case in point is the brilliant Nitro. Amiga Format didn't have a bad word to say about it and summed up with:

"Verdict

* Graphics are colourful and well drawn and help portray the racy action.
* Enjoyable and competitive gameplay, especially with three human players
* An addictive and playable translation of a tried and tested theme.
* The best race game of its type - even better than official coin-op conversions"

The rating? 84%...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Overrated: any Sensible Soccer, Zool 1&2, Pinball Illusions, Street Fighter II, Cannon Fodder, Gods, James Pond.

I realise lots of people love those games, just didn't do it for me.
Yeah, I don't know what it is about Gods. I found it really tedious to be honest.

Chris
Old 02 July 2012, 16:51   #24
SWIV

Overrated :- Barbarian games,Virus,Frontier

Underrated :- Side Winder,Bart Vs Space Mutants,Battle Squadron
Old 02 July 2012, 18:26   #25
Cpt. Hindsight

Some of you are saying Sensible Soccer is overrated? What about Football Glory? A ballsy clone rated 95% by CUAmiga. Haha, Tony Dillon striked again.
Old 02 July 2012, 18:48   #26
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Gods really is the Marmite of Amiga games
Old 02 July 2012, 19:02   #27
BuckoA51

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know what it is about Gods. I found it really tedious to be honest.
Gods looked lovely for the time but it's exceptionally slow compared to platform games that came later, especially on the consoles, it's not aged well at all.

We've had Supercars mentioned here and I agree that's a very playable game. I'd like to nominate ATR as being under-rated, again not one that's considered a bad game just a game that doesn't get mentioned as much as something like Super Skidmarks, for example.
Old 02 July 2012, 19:10   #28
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoA51 View Post
Gods looked lovely for the time but it's exceptionally slow compared to platform games that came later, especially on the consoles, it's not aged well at all.
I disagree that Gods hasn't aged well. Graphically and aurally it is still exceptional. Gameplay/speed wise, bear in mind it was never meant to be face paced. It is meant to be a slower, more exploration/puzzle solving game. To me, it's not strictly a platform game. Yes it does have platforms, but they aren't the main focus and negotiating the jumps is no more difficult at the end of the game than it is at the beginning.

Just my annual Gods defence post
Old 02 July 2012, 19:29   #29
s2325
Zone Friend

Gods is faster on SNES and unplayable because of that.
Old 02 July 2012, 21:50   #30
Lord Riton

Underrated:

- Captive !! the best Amiga game i ever played !

- Bloodwych !! This one was really much underrated. Mainly because it's mediocre graphics, i guess. The game is LOOOnnng, and has that special dungeon crawler feeling that immense dungeons give to me.

- some sort of strategy game i loved to play, unfortunatly i forgot it's name. It was a shareware, i think, that was on an aminet set CD. You had to build up your planet, with collecting ressources, and building starships if i remember, and later you could go to other planets and colonize these too, and affter some time aliens came and attacked your planets. I don't remember exactly anymore, it was like 20 years agoo. Really not sure, but the name could have been something like "Colonization" (?). Edit: no, was not that name, just googled "Amiga colonization" wich was some Sid Meier game. But pretty sure the name was similar.
Old 02 July 2012, 22:24   #31
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I disagree that Gods hasn't aged well. Graphically and aurally it is still exceptional. Gameplay/speed wise, bear in mind it was never meant to be face paced. It is meant to be a slower, more exploration/puzzle solving game. To me, it's not strictly a platform game. Yes it does have platforms, but they aren't the main focus and negotiating the jumps is no more difficult at the end of the game than it is at the beginning.

Just my annual Gods defence post
Gods takes slow to all new levels, but it was one of the few games I just had to finish.
Old 02 July 2012, 23:42   #32
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Underrated: Chaos Engine, well perhaps not, but still quite surprised how many non Amiga gamers know about this game. I think in terms of sound design alone the game deserves more exposure. Dynamic music that would change depending on your location and extremely clever use of sound blending, mixing ambient sounds with the soundtrack all within the tight restraints of the Amiga's humble 4 channel sound. Genius. As for gameplay it wasn't original at all but it played well and looked great. Party power!
Old 03 July 2012, 01:56   #33
pickaweapon

Overrated - Gods (the walking animation, the scrolling, the countless boring pull lever 'puzzles'), Cannon Fodder II (aliens, ugh - not a patch on the original)

Underrated - The Killing Game Show - a save game facility is all this game needed to make it a classic. Odyssey - a clever shapeshifting, puzzle platformer on an epic scale
Old 03 July 2012, 02:06   #34
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Underated...
I genuinely cannot understand why Banshee is not raved about more often. It is 1942, reworked with awesome graphics and gameplay.
There is just so much detail, it is beautiful to watch and there's always something new to see. Plus it's Steampunk which by it's very nature is awesome.
The gameplay is pitched just right too, a cracking shooter, hard enough to be a challenge, but not psychotically difficult like some others.

Overated...
Quite a few for me, but top of the list is Superfrog I'm arfaid. Just don't like it. The sound track is annoying as all hell after a few minutes, and the main character and graphics are to corny cutesy. I don't mind "cute" games, I love RodLand, Rainbow Islands, New Zealnad Story and Bubble Bobble, but something about trees with faces makes my fists itch.
I dunno, a frog in a cape? Just seems to be trying to hard.
Old 03 July 2012, 05:42   #35
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

... no matter where you go... there are super-frog haters everywhere.... bless them for they know not what

Overrated Amiga Games:
Shadow of the Beast 3
(not even a shadow of its former incarnations - pun intended)
Mortal Kombat
(epic waste of disks)

Gods -
(its a slow-paced-plat-puzzler with added boring)

Chaos Engine 2 -
(WTF where they smoking!!!)

Banshee -
(slow, boring, stupid level design.. I could go on!)

Monkey Island -
(lame humour to cover up a boring game)
Beneath a steel sky -
(see previous statement)
Another world -
(while I have beaten it, its only in spite of myself - its an arduous game, with so much repetition it makes you want to remove your teeth with a pair of pliers!)
Myst -
wow.... some one once told me there was a Game in here somewhere.... I didn't know it was actually in juggling the disc!

Bodyblows -
Slow and not enough frames of animation - felt jerky and not fluid as a beat'em up should be
Alien Breed 3DII -
is such a mess I dont know where to begin!

Underrated Amiga Games:
Armour-Geddon (if you haven't played this, you cannot call yourself an Amigan!)
Captive (sublime RGB made with honey, chocolate and the rarest awesome ever!)
Hunter - one of the best Amiga games ever made!
Super foul egg - Addictive and fun... and addictive..... very VERY addictive!
Dragonstone - get it and play it NOW!
Bloodnet (AGA) - a very absorbing cyperpunk RPG with Vampires!

Last edited by Zetr0; 03 July 2012 at 05:56.
Old 03 July 2012, 08:36   #36
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Monkey Island -
(lame humour to cover up a boring game)
Beneath a steel sky -
(see previous statement)

What? Interesting statement. :P
Old 03 July 2012, 09:11   #37
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

I felt there was a disturbance, like a million voices crying out in pain at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
... no matter where you go... there are super-frog haters everywhere.... bless them for they know not what
Guess what my game choice will be at the next games night buddy, and we've already played that sodding frog one, so you can't have another go on it.

Old 03 July 2012, 10:37   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If there was one game I thought that nobody would have on their overrated list, it would be Monkey Island... Guess there was to be a connection between that and the love for Craptive somewhere
Old 03 July 2012, 10:47   #39
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
If there was one game I thought that nobody would have on their overrated list, it would be Monkey Island... Guess there was to be a connection between that and the love for Craptive somewhere
Actually, Monkey Island was (imo) underrated in one instance. It scored a 79% from "Det Svenska Datormagazin" (abbreviated to DMZ). The same magazine also scored Rise of the Dragon a 96%, and Dark Seed got the same score as Monkey.

At least they rectified it by giving the sequel a 98%. Their highest scoring game was Civilization, which got a 99%.
Old 03 July 2012, 10:57   #40
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
I felt there was a disturbance, like a million voices crying out in pain at once.

Guess what my game choice will be at the next games night buddy, and we've already played that sodding frog one, so you can't have another go on it.

nu uh!... its Jay's turn to choose a game ;p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
If there was one game I thought that nobody would have on their overrated list, it would be Monkey Island... Guess there was to be a connection between that and the love for only the best game in the world called Captive somewhere

I secretly cuddle my copy in bed at night...

There.... fixed those typo's for you