English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 29 January 2004, 18:22   #21
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Good news, bad news ...

First, the good news. I downloaded the dumping disk yesterday (thanks, fiath!) when I got home (right before my broadband connection went on the blink), and have transferred it to the Amiga. I ran the system and drive tests and have the output, which I'll e-mail back to CAPS as soon as my internet connectivity problem at home is sorted out. From peeking at the output it looks like I ought to be in pretty decent shape, as it reports that all 4 drives can reach track 83. Of course not knowing what other things in the output are significant, I'll await the final verdict.

Now for the bad news. Being meticulously careful about making sure that my Halley Project original remained write-protected, I booted it up on my A1000 and found that the friend that I got it from had in fact saved high scores to the disk, so this is unfortunately a modified disk. While the game provides an option to clear the high scores table, I also realize that doing so would not restore the disk to its virginal state. Whether yet another dump of a modified original would be of any value at all I don't know, but if so then I'll dump it anyway once I've gotten the green light on my system/drive tests.

For most of my other original disks I shouldn't have this sort of a problem, since most of those I bought retail myself, and I've always been a stickler about keeping my originals write protected and only using backup copies. All I need to do is figure out which ones of them are worth dumping in the first place.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 January 2004, 22:01   #22
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
All I need to do is figure out which ones of them are worth dumping in the first place.
ALL games are worth dumping for CAPS
Old 29 January 2004, 22:18   #23
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
ALL games are worth dumping for CAPS
True of course, though it would be pretty pointless to go to the trouble of dumping a bunch of disks that they've already gotten verified dumps from. I think I'll try to find things they don't have dumps of first.
Old 30 January 2004, 14:19   #24
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Re: The Halley Project

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K If so I have it, looks complete with 1 floppy, audio tape, and whatever stuff is supposed to be in the box.
What's on the audio tape?
Old 30 January 2004, 14:40   #25
fiath

Yeah, no point dumping HP then but yes, dumping other undumped/different version stuff instead would be fantastic
Old 30 January 2004, 17:43   #26
Chuckles
The Ancient One

That's what I figured, so I'll skip dumping that one. It will take me a little while to get started due to the fact that at the moment I'm having intermittent connectivity problems with my broadband internet connection, and have been mostly unable to get online from home. I did manage to get on long enough yesterday to e-mail my system/drive test results back to CAPS though before losing my connection again. Even if they send a "thumbs up" reply though, I won't get it until I can manage a connection again. The cable company says it's a hardware problem that they have to come out to correct and they've scheduled that for Sunday, but since the forecast for Sunday calls for heavy snow, I won't be surprised if that doesn't get pushed back.

In the meantime I grabbed a copy of the list of current CAPS releases so that I could check this against my originals. It looks like I've got about 75 original games and data disks that aren't on the list, so when everything is sorted out, that's where I'll start dumping. As for different versions, that's something that I'm not sure about. If I look at what is listed in the "region" column, the list seems to mostly consist of EU entries, which I might assume would be PAL. Since I'm in the US, most of the originals I have are NTSC. If I can assume that a game in the list that shows EU as the region is in fact PAL, then if I have an NTSC original, I'd think that this would be worth dumping. Is it that simple, or am I missing something?
Old 30 January 2004, 19:06   #27
fiath

No problem about the delay.

75 games, very nice!

Yes, most games are from the EU, this is basically because there have been very few people in the US that are able to contribute because most that contact us only have a 68000 based machine.

About NTSC & PAL. For most games there is actually no difference between NTSC and PAL. The only games that are effected are (1) Games which have region locks like Lost Patrol, where the game refuses to work properly in the wrong region, and (2) games "enhanced" for extra PAL screen space, etc.

So, at the moment, all games are defaulted to PAL unless there is a region lock or for some other reason it doesn't work on PAL machines.

If the difference is just PAL <> NTSC then I wouldn't worry too much about it, though US versions are semi-often different (earlier/later) editions.
Old 30 January 2004, 20:18   #28
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Re: Re: The Halley Project

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Softy
No idea havnt listened to it.
Old 31 January 2004, 19:00   #29
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Well, I've gotten a "thumbs up" on the initial system and drive tests, and my internet connectivity problems have gone away long enough for me to make a first test submission to CAPS. I've now uploaded a dump of "Silicon Dreams" from the "Most Wanted" list to the ftp, so assuming that dump turns out to be good, I'll start dumping the rest soon afterward.

Thanks for the help, fiath!
Old 31 January 2004, 19:13   #30
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: Re: The Halley Project

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Softy
The mission briefing.
Old 01 February 2004, 11:34   #31
Interceptor

best not listen to it, in case it self-destructs
Old 02 February 2004, 11:45   #32
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Well, I've gotten a "thumbs up" on the initial system and drive tests, and my internet connectivity problems have gone away long enough for me to make a first test submission to CAPS. I've now uploaded a dump of "Silicon Dreams" from the "Most Wanted" list to the ftp, so assuming that dump turns out to be good, I'll start dumping the rest soon afterward.
Guess which game just came off the wanted list.

The dump was fine, and thanks very much! Please do continue!
Old 02 February 2004, 17:42   #33
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Thanks for letting me know, and I'll begin working through my list now. I believe that's the only title I had left that was on the "Most Wanted" list, so the rest will simply be games that didn't appear on the release list. Quite honestly I'm rather surprised to see that some of the better known titles don't seem to have been dumped yet, so hopefully I'll be able to fill in a few of those gaps.
Old 02 February 2004, 19:03   #34
fiath

Great, thanks!

There are some games that have various reasons why there are no good versions found yet (like our versions being modified or damaged in some way), most of which mean we need more dumps to be absolutely sure they are good.

But as you say, there are a lot of games that simply don't seem to have been found yet. Obviously with time and help, we will be left just pursuing only the really rare titles for the Amiga.
Old 03 February 2004, 18:07   #35
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbdgg
Popped open my manual and found the credits.

Program Authors: Omar H. Khudari and Thomas F.F. Snyder

Programming and Graphics: Omar H. Khudari, Chris A. Lutes Jr, Ed McNierney, Peter H. Reynolds, and Gabrielle Savage

Playtesting and Editorial Development: David A. Dockterman

Illustrations: Peter H. Reynolds

Music Composition: Thomas F.F. Snyder

Amiga, Commodore 64 and Apple versions: Leonard Bertoni
Do the credits in your manual actually mention the Amiga version in that last sentence? Mine don't, although Leonard Bertoni is the main coder of the Amiga version according to the in-game credits. The in-game credits are quite different to what is listed in the manual (which presumably are just for the Apple and C64 versions).

@Andreas
Gotta verify game details (especially if supplied by others) before HOLising them.

Last edited by DrBong; 03 February 2004 at 21:13.
Old 03 February 2004, 19:08   #36
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
I've written you a PM, the same you could've done too if you want to complain about something I did.
[edit] I may have been blind and looked at the wrong places, but missed the credits *in* the game, but as you said there are some, you've been luckier than me. *Shrug* Ergo: I'd only verify them if I FIND them. If there's something wrong, well, fix it.

Last edited by andreas; 03 February 2004 at 19:20.
Old 03 February 2004, 21:20   #37
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
I've written you a PM, the same you could've done too if you want to complain about something I did.
Flaming PM coming your way
AdSense AdSense