English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 08 April 2004, 00:52   #21
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
/me waves fist..... when I say I have my eye on it.... I have bid

well currently at 95 cents (AU), i wont cry if someone out bids me then

The box contains:
Armour-Geddon manual
Armour-Geddon Diary
Multi-language keyboard control sheet
Megazone subscription flyer
3 3.5" Disks
Eeek, I am sorry about that whiteb. Of the several thousand games left to do. Armour-Geddon is only one of a handful of games that we have tagged as needing attention. That was very unlucky.

Quote:

[edit] see, this is where you need to have a section on the website for "Submitted and being worked on".
I take it you mean "released" and being worked on.

As both IFW and I said, this game may bad, so we want as many dumps as possible, though for buying - it is probably better to ask us first.

Quote:

You tell people "Go check the website, and if its not listed... then go ahead".
Well, 99% of the time that is true.

Isn't that in the context of dumping though?

Quote:

So, that then makes.... "Games released" and "Games already submitted and is being worked on".
Submitted - as IFW says, not much point, since most are unusable.

Games "being worked on" is not such a bad idea if you change it to "games that need special attention to be supported that we don't currently have time to do right now".
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 April 2004, 01:02   #22
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
This is exactly my point, The CAPS website said NOTHING about Armour-geddon (or any other game for that fact, except games already
Well, that is not strictly true:

http://www.caps-project.org/wip-apr-...html#Psygnosis

But I agree it is not very visible.

Quote:

released.), what parts have been scanned, and what havent, what disks are corrupt and need more dumps of.

Caps website needs to have THIS information too.
Again, not completely true. Scanning list is available, but I will admit it is out of date:

http://www.caps-project.org/games.php?view=1119

Unfortunately "real life" has us in its cold grip at the moment, and so we do not have time to update it atm. Only a few thousand files to go through by hand....

As for what has been submitted but is corrupt - what is the point? More work for no gain, i.e. its not on the release list hence it needs to be dumped (again).

Quote:

Also, with games dumped already...., on the database, it *NEEDS* segments to display which games have had scans of manuals, boxes etc already submitted, and which HASNT.

Until we see this, my ebay buying will stop, and such as it is, so will my dumping and scanning.
Again, we do have that information, it is just not up to date.

I am having trouble even keeping up with our email atm. My apologies for this, but I am not super-human.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:11   #23
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
To echo whiteb's comments and be more explicit, it would be useful for contributors to know the fate of each their submitted raw CAPS images - whether they have been successfully turned into an IPF image, contained errors, were modified in some way, were in an unknown/unresearched format or are awaiting a second raw image for comparison etc.
That would be great in an ideal world. Unfortunately, that would take a huge amount of effort which would be taken away from actually getting games out the door.

I am willing to do that for people that ask when I get time, but spare time is a precious commodity atm - I still have not caught up with our email (blames loss of Psion), let alone do that for those that have asked...

I will do the best I can, anything else will just have to wait - sorry!

Last edited by fiath; 08 April 2004 at 01:23.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:22   #24
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
I'm always interested in picking up obscure games, so if you need anything in the UK just shout (as long as it isnt too expensive).
Okay, here is some

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3669503212
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089424199
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089402317
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089279061
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089074619
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089074580
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089074347
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089074251
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3089012550

PLEASE don't all bid at once. That would be silly. I guess post your intentions here first or something...

Perhaps we should start an eBay wanted thread
Old 08 April 2004, 01:30   #25
IFW

If it is out, it was good
May not be the copy x or y submitted, but finally we got hold on a good one so everyone benefits.
Every contributor gets the game - unless it is named in a wierd way that the contributor emailer script plus Fiath don't recognize...

a, minus atari format games
b, minus psy 1.5mfm games
c, minus games submitted that I've saved for the later, mostly because I tend to check everything if possible. Don't get very excited most of those are duplicates, and there is a slim chance that they can be different versions... this is most likely on MicroProse titles
d, plus a very few "new" titles that will see the light of day asap.
e, plus all the new titles we could get hold on due to great donators like Cody and some other people here and there
[thanks!]

It certainly makes the processing much faster if a few duplicates are submitted among loads of possible new releases, than vice versa. ie useful dumps by Chuckles or Walker or Rodimus were turned into ipfs very fast since practically every single game dumped was a new release.
This is simply due to very limited time and resources, my caps working hours are quite often 4-8 hours per day.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:47   #26
IFW

Ok, let's see how that works out.

Please note that anyone buying games using this info just to resell it or to hide the stuff into a secret hacienda, and not dumping it will be pointed at and publically humiliated

Also this only works if only ONE person bids on a game, and it is discussed who does it. if more than one person bids the only people gaining on the transaction are the "professional ebay traderz"

Also it normally requires perfect sniping skills to get any acceptable price. Being it ethical or not does not matter, everyone does the very same at least this one goes for a good cause.

If you can no longer afford bidding on an item post it very clear so someone else can enter.
It is worth noting that:
1, despite sniping some games will be insanely expensive. Be prepared that a game can go up in price dozens of euros in the very last minutes. If you can't afford that please don't bid, as you'll lose, and nobody else could bid to win.
2, there is absolutely NO guarantee that any game bought is a game useful, that is not modified, the seller was honest, it was not shrinkwrapped with an e200 shrinking machine from OfficeDepot and so on. The only guarantee given is that it was not dumped or all dumps available are bad in some way.
3, Do NOT bid on items bid by Fiath or Ville9 or if_caps, if you ever want to see them dumped. Thank you.

You have been warned.

After all these it makes more sense that CAPS - actually Fiath - bids on stuff from funds transferred to our account for the above reasons.
Trust me he is VERY good - a natural born trader
[this is not a compliment, it is fact]

Also we can still buy games from closed shops, that we are not going to publicize, simply because it is in everyone's best interest that we can grab those *factory new* games. They cost quite a bit more than your average ebay purchase, but at least we get what we pay for. Sometimes much cheaper, than buying a few dozen copies of the same game.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:59   #27
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

I see that SOME of them are worldwide shippers, and some are not.

Biggest drawback is

1) we dont use pounds, we use some obscure currency called "Dollars" and when taking the close price into consideration you must multiply the closing price by 2.4 to get the cost to me.

2) If the postage is 5 quid to post to here (just a guess) for one game, then thats $12 postage.

its best I stick to ebay Australia.
Old 08 April 2004, 02:05   #28
IFW

Exactly, these are reasons not to bid by any of us on stuff available from Australia. So just do it
Actually I once did and paid dearly for the postage, insurance, vat and whatnot... and in the end it was a modified game... such is life.

Please ask what is needed, or check the online database (as I said it is 99% of what we have good, minus the exceptions)
The above thing about a bidding pool through Fiath and caps is mostly true for EU stuff importing from the rest of the world can get very expensive after shipping and customs etc.
I trust however that Chuckles can dump pretty much all the stuff in the US, and Whiteb in Australia.
Some other places may get more tricky.
Old 08 April 2004, 02:19   #29
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
I trust however that Chuckles can dump pretty much all the stuff in the US, and Whiteb in Australia.
For me, dumping is not a problem, I got a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card for my A1200 for AU$10 (yes its in the 3com driver device compatibility list) so I can dump more efficiently again (old one's media dongle packed up.) Just finances say I cant buy every game under the sun. Not to mention space for the stuff
Old 08 April 2004, 02:22   #30
IFW

finance or fiance?
notice how these two words are similar - there must be a reason
Old 08 April 2004, 02:27   #31
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Note that in English, fiancé is a male person.
(the female counterpart is fiancée)

[yes even English native writers make that mistake, spoken it sounds the same]

Sorry to have destroyed your joke now
Old 08 April 2004, 02:31   #32
IFW

Maybe, though many people use it as is.

http://www.fiance.com/
Old 08 April 2004, 02:59   #33
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
You're right there, and I'm certainly willing to do that. I also bid on games that I see on eBay, and probably have at least a dozen that I need to dump and submit at this point. I have yet to see any of the names mentioned earlier bidding on the same items, and don't really expect to since I restrict myself to bidding on items sold from the US and Canada, while I believe most of you are probably bidding in other markets. If I did see though that one of you had the winning bid, I wouldn't try to snipe your bid. As for sniping other people's bids, I'll make no such pledge.

I'd also be willing to dump disks for other people over here if anybody wants theirs dumped but lacks the required hardware. The trick there is simply managing to pass the disks back and forth, and paying the shipping costs to do that. If somebody wants to pay the cost of shipping them to me, I'd be willing to cover the costs of shipping them back with the understanding that once the ipf's are released, I'm entitled to a copy as compensation for the time and effort involved.
Old 08 April 2004, 03:05   #34
IFW

Thanks Chuckles.

No, we are not bidding on anything in the US. ville9 might feel lucky and do it sometimes, but so far he always got himself burnt with the purchase

As for the rest: all the people out there in the US hear what Chuckles says and submit your disks for dumping
[...and don't forget to thank him for quite a few great US dumps meanwhile - and a few other people from the US and Canada that are not here in EAB or don't visit EAB very often. Thanks to all]
Old 08 April 2004, 11:14   #35
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Note that in English, fiancé is a male person.
(the female counterpart is fiancée)

[yes even English native writers make that mistake, spoken it sounds the same]

Sorry to have destroyed your joke now
Actually, according to the dictionary, "Fiance" is either a man engaged to a woman or a woman engaged to a man. "Fiancée" is exactly the same and "Fiancé" is a man who is engaged to a woman, alone.

So IFW was correct in the first place.
Old 11 April 2004, 21:05   #36
[idoru]

Bidding on those items still ongoing, except the last one - I don't bid on something that doesn't list the postage costs unless I REALLY want it

So don't bother sniping ebay nick rjrteb
Old 11 April 2004, 23:41   #37
fiath

Great stuff. Thanks idoru!
Old 12 April 2004, 18:47   #38
[idoru]

As an update...

From those auctions I won : Bombuzal, Deep Core, Mr. Blobby, Pinkie, Table Tennis Simulation

Maybe this sort of thing should get a new thread, cos on returning to post the update I forgot which thread it was currently in

Last edited by [idoru]; 13 April 2004 at 00:13.
Old 13 April 2004, 00:43   #39
fiath

Great!

And agreed, I'll split it up tomorow.
AdSense AdSense