English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 16 September 2017, 13:38   #21
earok

I don't have a terriblefire yet, but I did a quick test with emulated fastram. It's still a bit painful panning the cursor around the screen, but the scrolling is better.

Probably a dumb question but if anyone can answer it, I'd be interested. At least from my understanding of the source code, the game does C2P conversion at draw time. Is there any particular reason it couldn't be done when the graphics are loaded, so it'd just need to do a straight blit rather than a straight blit and then a C2P conversion?

So far as I can tell the DOTT AGA source isn't available any more, but the original source (for SCUMMAGA 0.38.2) is around and maybe the DOTT AGA source could be found somewhere.
Old 17 September 2017, 13:52   #22
Riempie
Amiga freak

DOTT AGA (novacoder version) back in The Zone.. (not the source code sadly)
Just played it again. Works great. Just some screen glitches when a screen is moving from left to right (or vice versa)

Last edited by Riempie; 17 September 2017 at 13:59.
Old 17 September 2017, 20:30   #23
jolly11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
DOTT AGA (novacoder version) back in The Zone.. (not the source code sadly)
Just played it again. Works great. Just some screen glitches when a screen is moving from left to right (or vice versa)
do you also have the cd32 version?
Old 20 September 2017, 08:34   #24
earok

I don't have a copy of the CD32 version myself any more but it'd be quick to put it back together. There isn't a great deal of value in of itself though - without smooth cursor movement at least it's basically unplayable.

Let me know if you still want it though, and I'll slap it back together.
Old 20 September 2017, 16:00   #25
jolly11

yes of course, if it's possible..I love DotT and I'd like to play it on amiga cd32.
Played it even on my 286, so I'm used to slow-motion

Last edited by jolly11; 04 October 2017 at 14:54.
Old 20 September 2017, 19:48   #26
solidcore

@jolly11 from what I saw it's terribly unplayable in that youtube video, however saying that TF328 may help a bit. And hopefully, we get some kind of vampire 2 for the cd32. Early days yet we could all be playing it on a cd32 at full speed one day :P
Old 20 September 2017, 22:41   #27
earok

I'll see if I can get it sorted out in the next few days.

I've zoned a weird curiosity when I was poking around, there's actually abandoned AMOS port of DOTT (Only a room or two I think).
Old 01 October 2017, 14:26   #28
jolly11

any news?
Old 02 October 2017, 01:09   #29
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
@jolly11 from what I saw it's terribly unplayable in that youtube video, however saying that TF328 may help a bit.
With the TF328 you'd probably be better off running my latest port of ScummVM AGA (and using that to run DOTT)
Old 02 October 2017, 02:53   #30
solidcore

@novacodeer I'll give it a try, you got a link ? Thanks mate.
Old 02 October 2017, 02:59   #31
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
@novacodeer I'll give it a try, you got a link ? Thanks mate.
http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/ScummVM_AGA_030

I've no idea how much FASTRAM it needs (the readme states 32MB but that was just a guess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Probably a dumb question but if anyone can answer it, I'd be interested. At least from my understanding of the source code, the game does C2P conversion at draw time. Is there any particular reason it couldn't be done when the graphics are loaded, so it'd just need to do a straight blit rather than a straight blit and then a C2P conversion?
Although this should be possible it would require a massive re-write of ScummVM (which is why I never tried it)

A better speed-up is to stop the screen getting redrawn every time the mouse cursor moves, I had a plan to use a Bobby to drawn the cursor and skip a ton of screen updates but never got around to trying it.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 06 October 2017 at 01:54.
Old 04 October 2017, 11:45   #32
solidcore

Nova appreciate your message I hope to try it soon and please do your optimizations I'm sure others here would appreciate that in order for her to run more Smoothly .

Chris
Old 04 October 2017, 16:08   #33
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
A better speed-up is to stop the screen getting redrawn every time the mouse cursor used, I had a plan to use a hardware sprite to drawn the cursor and skip a ton of screen updates but never got around to trying it.
Oh, that would be very cool! Indeed I had no idea you were doing that.
Hopefully you find time to try to implement it I think the game doesn't run so bad if you consider all other Lucasfilm adventure games like Indy 4! A little push might be all it needs to be acceptable.
Old 04 October 2017, 19:57   #34
Amigajay

Actually plays alot better and faster for CD32 users with FastRAM using the alpha Earok made.
Old 05 October 2017, 03:06   #35
earok

@Amigajay do you still have a copy of that alpha..? If so, could you please upload it for Jolly? Cheers.

@NovaCoder brilliant idea re: mouse cursor
Old 05 October 2017, 12:07   #36
Amigajay

I've uploaded it to the zone.
Old 05 October 2017, 13:02   #37
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I've uploaded it to the zone.
I know its not a real CD32 and I can run it in SCUMMVM but I had to test... With RUNinUAE CD32 on my AmigaOne X1000. It is super fast! I was expecting a crawl fest, but it is absolutely amazing!
Certainly running at least twice as fast as is needed... I am now looking for the speed controls. Keep hitting F10 and quitting

Brilliant job. Definitely going to try it if I ever get myself a TF328.
Old 06 October 2017, 14:55   #38
Amiga1992

That is really fast indeed, the game runs as fast/slow as Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis, which is amazing!
The only issue is still the mouse pointer. If Novacoder could look into that code, it would be perfect. I think if you fix that, you got yourself an amazing game!
Old 07 October 2017, 03:21   #39
jolly11

when I select the right code, the game freezes on my unexpanded cd32
Old 03 May 2018, 08:44   #40
thairacerjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
So I found DOTT AGA the other day and thought I'd give it a try on a CD32. I'm spread very thin between various CD32-related projects so it'd be great if someone else takes over on this.

What's good:
- It works!
- BlazeWCP isn't needed on a CD32, as WriteChunkyPixels is hardware accelerated by Akiko
- Playable with gamepad, using Fakemouse driver and Joy2key2
(Press Reverse to skip cutscene, Play to access menu)

What's not so good:
- It's -slow- not sure if it's possible to squeeze much more speed out of the version of ScummVM it's based on the incredibly limited power of the stock CD32.
- Won't work on an SX32 etc
- Music is very inaccurate due to the automated mod-to-midi conversion. Maybe we could convert the MIDI files to CD Audio and play it back that way (assuming there's less than 80 or so minutes of music, I have no idea)
- Not currently using the full speech of the CD-ROM version
- Novacoder's version might be a better base to use? I haven't been able to find this though
- Saving will likely never be a possibility (due to the 1kb NVRAM available) and there's no pre-saves. We may to create a massive bunch of save games that break the whole game down into bite sized chunks.

Download
Thanks earok, NocaCoder for give CD32 this nice game i had never player before (shame on ME !) , i have tried the CD version who is playable on my TF328 extension and the "DOTT_AGA (NovaCoder)(Full Talkie)" who is near full screen but more laggy but the speech is great , my question is why earok your version have no speech ? is it becose the cd speed or the memory of a stock CD32 ? and i haven't to install the ScummVM program, is it include in the game ?
have a nice day !
cheers
jean.
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by thairacerjp; 03 May 2018 at 09:01.