English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 March 2015, 14:59   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Exchanging files between Windows and OS4.1 FE

I tried to mount a directory as an Amiga hard drive in WinUAE's hard drive settings but it doesn't seem to work. I always get the error message:

"PPC native OS booted with UAE boot ROM active. UAE expansions are not hardware emulated and are not PPC compatible...."

So I guess I can only work with hard files when using OS4.1 FE on WinUAE? Is that right? If it is, what's the easiest way to copy files from one of my Windows drives to a drive that is visible to OS4.1 FE under WinUAE?
Old 16 March 2015, 16:25   #2
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Ok, I see this has been asked here already:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77382

But is there really no nicer way than mounting an FTP on the Amiga side? This looks horribly unintuitive...

What I have always dreamed about is a tool that allows me to write to the Amiga RAM disk from the Windows side. Is that very difficult to implement? There could a special new register page in the WinUAE GUI where I could simply drop files that WinUAE should upload to the Amiga RAM disk. That would be a real killer feature and it would make life so much easier!!!

What do you think? Is this difficult to implement? Of course this feature should only be enabled when in Workbench mode. It doesn't make any sense while playing Turrican II ;-)
Old 16 March 2015, 16:42   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

+1

It's a good idea I think.
Old 16 March 2015, 16:52   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

How about attaching some FAT formatted flash memory to WinUAE as a harddrive? This must be mountable inside AmigaOS?
Old 17 March 2015, 22:52   #5
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Are there any instructions on how to do this?

I've tried to add my FAT32 formatted USB flash drive using "Add Hard Drive..." in the "Hardware/CD & Hard Drives" tab. I chose IDE:1 for the USB flash drive (IDE:0 is my hardfile for OS4).

When I boot into OS4, the USB flash drive doesn't show up.

When trying to mount the USB flash drive using the "SYS:System/Mounter" tool I get the error "Partition data not found!" (from Mounter)

When trying to install the USB flash drive using MediaToolbox I get the following error from WinUAE: "Block zero write attempt but drive has one or more mounted PC partitions or WinUAE does not have Administrator privileges. Erase the drive or unmount all PC partitions first."

So how should I proceed here? Do I have to run WinUAE with administrator privileges? But I'm a little afraid that it might destroy something it shouldn't...

There really should be an easier method to just copy some files from Windows to OS4.1 if you ask me....
Old 18 March 2015, 00:41   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

WinUAE needs to see the entire device for it to work, not just the FAT partition (else AmigaOS cannot see the partition table). I needed WinUAE to run as administrator before it could see the entire drive. As long as you don't keep any important stuff on your flash drive and make sure to select the correct device when you mount it, nothing bad should happen (famous last words? ).
Old 18 March 2015, 22:54   #7
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Well, your nick name is scaring me a little... I don't want WinUAE to erase my other partitions So do I have to use MediaToolbox to install the USB flash drive or does it work without it?
Old 18 March 2015, 23:06   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

I have no experience with OS4.x, so cannot help with how to mount it in there, but I would expect it to appear automatically.. Doesn't 4.x comes with FAT as standard?

WinUAE will not allow to mount HDD's, even when running as administrator - you need a special command line switch to enable that. Without that switch you should be quite safe.
Old 20 March 2015, 15:33   #9
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Tried running WinUAE in administrator mode now but whenever I click "Save to disk" in MediaToolbox I still get the following error:

"Block zero write attempt but drive has one or more mounted PC partitions or WinUAE does not have Administrator privileges. Erase the drive or unmount all PC partitions first."

I don't really understand what this means. If I unmount the PC partition WinUAE won't see the drive any more. And what is meant by "erase the drive"?

Any ideas anyone?
Old 20 March 2015, 15:50   #10
demolition
Unregistered User

The partition is mounted in Windows (the drive shows up under My Computer). I think it should be possible to unmount it by going into Computer Management -> Disk Management and removing the drive letter on the partition. 'Ejecting' the device will probably remove the drive completely so I don't expect that to work.

WinUAE should still see the card if it is unmounted (it just won't have a drive letter).
Old 20 March 2015, 16:47   #11
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
What I have always dreamed about is a tool that allows me to write to the Amiga RAM disk from the Windows side. Is that very difficult to implement?

This can be done with Amiga Explorer. You can run AExplorer in WinUAE and then access it with the Amiga Explorer GUI on Windows.

http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

It is a bit more difficult to configure with OS4, though. OS4 can only access the outside through the A2065 interface which is connected to a virtual NAT router in WinUAE. In order to access AExplorer from the Windows side you have to enable port-forwarding in the virtual router for port 356. I know that this is possible by manually adding some lines to WinUAE's configuration file, but I don't find the thread any more which describes the details.

Edit: found the thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=940534#post940534

You add slirp_ports=356 to the config file, then you can run AExplorer in WinUAE and access all your Amiga disks from Windows Explorer, including Ram Disk. Tried it, it works.

Last edited by thomas; 20 March 2015 at 21:11. Reason: Port 356, not 256
Old 18 October 2015, 02:14   #12
ncstebb

Why not use an iso file?

Hi peeps,

I know this thread is a little old but I've been struggling with this issue myself and then I hit upon the obvious solution. On the windows side you can just put the files that you want to transfer into an iso file. I used MagicISO for this.

This should work nicely for those, like me, who have just come back to WinUAE to try out OS 4.1 and really don't know what we are doing .

Cheers,

Last edited by ncstebb; 18 October 2015 at 02:20.

Old 18 October 2015, 02:34   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

I use a method definitely more beneficial, I created a hardfile, and I shared between OS4 e OS3. When I need to copy data from Windows, load OS3 and copy what I need from Windows, i made this run OS 4, where to find the same HardFile with data already copied.
Old 18 October 2015, 03:32   #14
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
I tried to mount a directory as an Amiga hard drive in WinUAE's hard drive settings but it doesn't seem to work. I always get the error message:

"PPC native OS booted with UAE boot ROM active. UAE expansions are not hardware emulated and are not PPC compatible...."

So I guess I can only work with hard files when using OS4.1 FE on WinUAE? Is that right? If it is, what's the easiest way to copy files from one of my Windows drives to a drive that is visible to OS4.1 FE under WinUAE?
Toni said that he was working on something that would make that possible, but he i asking for donations in return.