English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 January 2018, 21:53   #1481
Cowcat

Tremulous...Thats looks familiar to me (even the github sources have the same forgotten bugs from Q3). But don't expect a port tomorrow
Old 11 January 2018, 22:24   #1482
grelbfarlk

I was just hoping for GemRB, but it's .cpp so it's probably above my head. But I know someone, ^ HIM RIGHT THERE is good at rewriting C++ to C.
Old 11 January 2018, 22:25   #1483
trixster
Guru Meditating

GemRB, ie. Baldur's Gate? Now that would be something.
Old 11 January 2018, 22:47   #1484
nexus

just remember people we still need altivec as that is where the magic happens

second thought since this is Amiga we should call it AVMX
which is way better than some others MMX just sayin

Last edited by nexus; 11 January 2018 at 22:59.
Old 11 January 2018, 23:42   #1485
jack-3d
kLiker

I dont know, these games are like Quake3, but not as good as Quake3 anyway. I wish FPSE the PS1 emulator would be working with a sound. Also its Warp3D is not working well. The Nintendo Cube emulator is nice, but quite buggy.

Anyway, that's quite offtopic. I really would like to know more about the magic from grelbfarlk ;o)
Old 12 January 2018, 00:13   #1486
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
I dont know, these games are like Quake3, but not as good as Quake3 anyway. I wish FPSE the PS1 emulator would be working with a sound. Also its Warp3D is not working well. The Nintendo Cube emulator is nice, but quite buggy.

Anyway, that's quite offtopic. I really would like to know more about the magic from grelbfarlk ;o)
My magic output is reduced. I have an iffy power supply, again crappy atx in my Desktop, it had been fine with the sonnet for a long while. Well I let it run all night and it had apparently crashed after six hours or so in the night. Now I can't get it to supply stable enough power for the Rapture. So I had to switch to my Tower.
Old 12 January 2018, 02:10   #1487
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Now I can't get it to supply stable enough power for the Rapture. So I had to switch to my Tower.
What's this....Rapture you speak of??
Old 12 January 2018, 03:17   #1488
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
What's this....Rapture you speak of??
That's what we're calling this new accelerator. Someone guessed yeah it's a common off the shelf board that happens to work. Specs are as follows:
450MHz G4 7410, seems like we can overclock but it's about as complicated as overclocking a CSPPC.
256MB of PC100 SDRAM it's faster than that but due to the way timings are set up we may not be able to go faster than that.
1MB of L2 cache, running at 150MHz. I had hoped that 2MB was possible as an option but it doesn't appear the 19th address line is connected. So instead I guess I'll just slap 1MB of 250Mhz on a board, for testing.

Now that we've kind of pretty much proven that they work, we're looking at what other boards of this type should work, some of which are ludicrous speed for classic Amigas.

Bad part is power, some of us had power problems with the Sonnet, well it's just a little bit worse than that. In my A4000d tower it works fine, doesn't need supplemental power or anything. Desktops with original power supplies are probably going to be a problem, not sure since I don't have an original power supply which is in good shape right now, just these junky SFX ones. It did run for many hours last night in my desktop but now my 5V rail is too weak, maybe 200 reboots over the last couple days has something to do with that.

Also when we're all in agreement, source will be completely open as with the Sonnet.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 12 January 2018 at 03:51.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:43   #1489
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post

I agree totally. FPSE with sound, JIT and 3D support would be just the best, and the Sonnet is definitely fast enough for it.
Old 12 January 2018, 04:27   #1490
Magic

Do tell, what card is this?
Old 12 January 2018, 05:35   #1491
nexus

this is just the testing card not the final product we have much more speed to unleash overclockers will love it as it has just about everything they could want

Last edited by nexus; 12 January 2018 at 05:40.
Old 12 January 2018, 08:42   #1492
jack-3d
kLiker

Thumbs up

grelbfarlk, nexus, Hedeon and all others, THANK YOU very much, this is soooo exciting!!! I dont know how and if I can thank you enough. When my Sonnet "broke with me" I was really sad and angry to myself. Its a long way till this gets repaired and there is a chance I will never have Sonnet working again (the other Sonnets at home are from friends and they will get it back sooner or later).

So the Rapture project is a new hope for me and if you would need any help with testing, or some promo, I am here available 24/7 ;o) (and don't be worried, I will not touch passive cooler never ever again!)
Old 12 January 2018, 10:50   #1493
kgc210

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
That's what we're calling this new accelerator. Someone guessed yeah it's a common off the shelf board that happens to work. Specs are as follows:
450MHz G4 7410, seems like we can overclock but it's about as complicated as overclocking a CSPPC.
256MB of PC100 SDRAM it's faster than that but due to the way timings are set up we may not be able to go faster than that.
1MB of L2 cache, running at 150MHz. I had hoped that 2MB was possible as an option but it doesn't appear the 19th address line is connected. So instead I guess I'll just slap 1MB of 250Mhz on a board, for testing.

Now that we've kind of pretty much proven that they work, we're looking at what other boards of this type should work, some of which are ludicrous speed for classic Amigas.

Bad part is power, some of us had power problems with the Sonnet, well it's just a little bit worse than that. In my A4000d tower it works fine, doesn't need supplemental power or anything. Desktops with original power supplies are probably going to be a problem, not sure since I don't have an original power supply which is in good shape right now, just these junky SFX ones. It did run for many hours last night in my desktop but now my 5V rail is too weak, maybe 200 reboots over the last couple days has something to do with that.

Also when we're all in agreement, source will be completely open as with the Sonnet.
Really looking forward to getting my hands on a board to test!
What sort of power requirements are we talking? The PSU in my desktop has 20A on 5v. Although my mediator is a 5v one, will these CPU cards need 3.3v adding?

Last edited by kgc210; 12 January 2018 at 11:11.
Old 12 January 2018, 10:57   #1494
spudje

Tell us, tell us,.. so we can start our ebay searches before prices increase again
Old 12 January 2018, 11:17   #1495
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Tell us, tell us,.. so we can start our ebay searches before prices increase again
Thought your Amiga couldn't handle the sonnet?

Then this card is almost certainly too much in power demand.

I haven't been able to run it on my A3000D so the testing is done by Greg. I attempted to prep my A4000T yesterday for the card but somehow I destroyed my partitions in the process. I need to rebuild that system completely.

I had some strange firmware messages like SCSI disconnect and CMD[] 512 read 4180 discarded or something like that. Messages from the cybppc.device or csppc firmware I'm guessing.
Old 12 January 2018, 12:02   #1496
jack-3d
kLiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
It is not a Sonnet product as guys clarified, so I think this one is developed entirely by Greg's team. Am I right?

When Rapture has power problem, shouldn't it be powered directly from PSU by floppy connector for example? Because when I asked Elbox about making Desktop mediators with additional power connector they replied they don't plan it and I should add power connector directly to my Sonnet.
Old 12 January 2018, 12:14   #1497
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

These are cards you can order on eBay. It took some money and testing to find a type that actually worked. We are still testing more types with 800 MHz and 1GHz speeds. Nexus is referring to a project he wants to pickup. That one would have a 7457 at 1GHz. That would be a designed card. Still not connected to the 68K bus, but I'm not sure about that

I'm reluctant to give more info as I had a tough time getting a second sonnet when I needed one as my other was being modified to 3.3V and as said only Greg has actually one running.
Old 12 January 2018, 12:17   #1498
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Oh, wait a minute... Greg's team? :-P
Old 12 January 2018, 12:31   #1499
jack-3d
kLiker

Ehm, sorry, Hedeon's team
Old 12 January 2018, 12:42   #1500
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

It's a combined effort with everybody having their own responsibilities