English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 March 2011, 22:48   #1
CDTV1991

Bootable Workbench CD on CDTV

I'm trying to make a bootable Workbench 1.3 CD by using the instructions on http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml

I have MakeCD and a working WinUAE setup.

I'm trying to burn the contents of the Workbench 1.3 disk to an ISO CD disc image with MakeCD, then I'm testing it in WinUAE.

If I run a CDTV config in WinUAE and mount the ISO CD image the CDTV start screen just shows, nothing else.
If I run an A500 config in WinUAE and mount the ISO CD image the Insert Disk start screen just shows, nothing else.

If I run an A500 config in WinUAE and mount an extracted version of the image as a hard drive then it boots up ok
If I run a CDTV config in WinUAE and mount an extracted version of the image as a hard drive then the CDTV start screen just shows
If I run a CDTV config with no extended ROM in WinUAE and mount an extracted version of the image as a hard drive then it boots ok

So I can't get the image to work with the CD at all and I can only get the hard drive route working if I disable the extended ROMs

My startup sequence is as follows:

Addbuffers df0: 10
c:SetPatch >NIL: ;patch system functions
cd c:
echo "Richie's Test A500/A2000 Workbench disk. Release 1.3 version 34.20*N"
Sys:System/FastMemFirst ; move C00000 memory to last in list
BindDrivers
SetClock load ;load system time from real time clock (A1000 owners should
;replace the SetClock load with Date
FF >NIL: -0 ;speed up Text
resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add; activate Shell
resident c:Execute pure
mount newcon:
;
failat 11
run execute s:StartupII ;This lets resident be used for rest of script
wait >NIL: 5 mins ;wait for StartupII to complete (will signal when done)
;
SYS:System/SetMap usa1 ;Activate the ()/* on keypad
path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:system s: sysrefs add ;set path for Workbench
LoadWB delay ;wait for inhibit to end before continuing
endcli >NIL:

Last edited by CDTV1991; 13 March 2011 at 00:57.
Old 13 March 2011, 00:53   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post
I'm trying to make a bootable Workbench CD by using the instructions on:

http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml

I have MakeCD and the CDTV.TM file and a working WinUAE setup.

I'm trying to burn the contents of the Workbench 1.3 disk to a CD disc image, then I'm testing it in WinUAE. However the CD image just turns the CDTV screen red when I try to run it from a WinUAE CDTV config.

If I mount an extracted version of the disc image as a hard drive in WinUAE with an A500 config running or a CDTV config with no extended ROM then it starts up ok.

If I turn off the extended rom and get rid of the hard drive then run the CD disc image as if it was a real CD then the normal A500 insert disc screen shows

Any advice?

I can get an A500 config to load the disc image as a hard drive, but not as a CD ISO image. My startup sequence is as follows:

Addbuffers df0: 10c:SetPatch >NIL: ;patch system functions
cd c:echo "Richie's Test A500/A2000 Workbench disk. Release 1.3 version 34.20*N" Sys:System/FastMemFirst ; move C00000 memory to last in list BindDrivers SetClock load ;load system time from real time clock (A1000 owners should ;replace the SetClock load with Date FF >NIL: -;speed up Text resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add; activate Shell resident c:Execute pure mount newcon: ; failat 11 run execute s:StartupII ;This lets resident be used for rest of script wait >NIL: 5 mins ;wait for StartupII to complete (will signal when done)
; SYS:System/SetMap usa1 ;Activate the ()/* on keypad path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:system s: sysrefs add ;set path for Workbench
LoadWB delay ;wait for inhibit to end before continuing endcli >NIL:
Just burn it as described, and boot it in a real CDTV, will work.
I simply, make an iso of the WB1.3 folder and CDTV.TM file, then burnt it using Nero and it worked perfect.
Old 13 March 2011, 10:31   #3
CDTV1991

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Do I just drag the contents of the WB1.3 disk and the CDTV.TM file into Nero (or another windows burning program) and just burn the disc?

Thanks

ok, I've just tried that and in WinUAE is doesn't work, just makes the CDTV screen go red. If I disable the extended ROM then the A500 startup screen shows and nothing happens

Last edited by TCD; 13 March 2011 at 10:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 13 March 2011, 14:46   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Do I just drag the contents of the WB1.3 disk and the CDTV.TM file into Nero (or another windows burning program) and just burn the disc?

Thanks

ok, I've just tried that and in WinUAE is doesn't work, just makes the CDTV screen go red. If I disable the extended ROM then the A500 startup screen shows and nothing happens
No,

I ment follow the amiga guide and do it in WinUAE using CD32 Toolkit (iso creation tool). Then take that iso and burn it using nero.
Old 13 March 2011, 14:59   #5
CDTV1991

Thanks for the advice. I'll try again later today. I don't think that guide is very clear, I've run through it about ten times.

When I run the MakeCD program in WinUAE I do not see the boot option button or the screen that comes after it. It is the correct version so why do I not see that option?

Also, I don't really understand the startup sequence bit. If I'm just putting a workbench disk on a cd I assumed that I do not need to change it.

MakeCD creates .raw images and not .iso. Is it just a case of renaming the file extension in windows from .raw to .iso?

Burning an .iso in a standard windows burning package should be no problem.
Old 13 March 2011, 15:25   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll try again later today. I don't think that guide is very clear, I've run through it about ten times.

When I run the MakeCD program in WinUAE I do not see the boot option button or the screen that comes after it. It is the correct version so why do I not see that option?

Also, I don't really understand the startup sequence bit. If I'm just putting a workbench disk on a cd I assumed that I do not need to change it.

MakeCD creates .raw images and not .iso. Is it just a case of renaming the file extension in windows from .raw to .iso?

Burning an .iso in a standard windows burning package should be no problem.
Dont use makecd.

Use the isocd that comes with Commodore CD32 devkit. It lets you setup the iso as bootable with inclusion of CDTV.TM file.

I normally mount my windows desktop as a drive, then tell isocd to create iso there, so I can burn it with any app I want.
Old 13 March 2011, 17:17   #7
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Dont use makecd.

Use the isocd that comes with Commodore CD32 devkit. It lets you setup the iso as bootable with inclusion of CDTV.TM file.

I normally mount my windows desktop as a drive, then tell isocd to create iso there, so I can burn it with any app I want.
I used ISOCD and tried the ISO image in WinUAE, the "CDTV from Commodore" black and white screen shows but went no further.

I then added RMTM file to the C folder and added RMTM as the first item in the startup sequence. Then it works ok.

Tested an ISO image in a WinUAE CDTV config and it works ok, but while loading it says "pure bit not set" about 5 times. There must be some stuff in the startup sequence that should be removed. I have no idea how to work this out though.

I may risk burning another coaster to see if it is not a WinUAE problem

Last edited by CDTV1991; 13 March 2011 at 21:49.
Old 14 March 2011, 03:02   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I used ISOCD and tried the ISO image in WinUAE, the "CDTV from Commodore" black and white screen shows but went no further.

I then added RMTM file to the C folder and added RMTM as the first item in the startup sequence. Then it works ok.

Tested an ISO image in a WinUAE CDTV config and it works ok, but while loading it says "pure bit not set" about 5 times. There must be some stuff in the startup sequence that should be removed. I have no idea how to work this out though.

I may risk burning another coaster to see if it is not a WinUAE problem
Yeh, you need to alter the startup-sequence as your running it from a CD.
Old 14 March 2011, 20:07   #9
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Yeh, you need to alter the startup-sequence as your running it from a CD.
I'll have to guess what I can take out of the startup

I also got The Settlers game installed on the same Workbench CD too, although there's not enough RAM to run it.

Tried it in WinUAE with more fast ram and it worked fine
Old 19 March 2011, 04:01   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Ive noticed (Only from emulation) just how much Ram the CD drive eats.
Commodore should have compensated this with some extra Ram

Some Disk/ADF games seem to fail just by having a CD inserted, even though Floppy has boot priority removing the CD/ISO form drive seems to free some memory - This might not be true with NDOS games

Anyone know of any ways of freeing up memory add36k etc.
Old 20 March 2011, 16:22   #11
JACK98

Didn't most of the cu amiga cds boot into wb environment on cdtv?
Old 20 March 2011, 19:49   #12
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
Didn't most of the cu amiga cds boot into wb environment on cdtv?
Most of the Amiga Format CDs did too but I'm not sure that it was a 1.3 WB though.

Fred Fish CDs might be worth a try

Dave G