English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 September 2009, 21:17   #1
crazyegg

A600/A1200 RGB to Composite Converter

Hi All,

Will this generic RGB to Composite converter work with the Amiga?

PS: I plan on using this with the Commodore RGB-VGA adapter so as I will have the correct 15 pin connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RGB-T...fAudioQ5fVideo

After reading many posts, I understand that this will allow for a PAL Amiga to property play PAL games on a NTSC LCD TV???? Keeping my fingers crossed ;-))

Regards....ed
Old 24 September 2009, 22:07   #2
kipper2k

hi,

yes this willl work, however, it will display vertical bars all the way across the screen. Its good for playing games as they are not so visible but for using workbench its not that good. the cost of this is a little high when you compare it to an indivision VGA card, but if you only have composite input to use then its probably the best solution for the price

If you really want to get the best of both Pal and NTSC games then buy this....

http://www.110220volts.com/L20A980A.html

Its a multi system TV (In Canada tooo that will allow you to use both Pal and NTSC equipment and display it properly... dont spend $130 on the adapter when you can get a really nice TV/Monitor for a bit more

Hitachi L20A980A 20" Multi-System LCD HDTV

See larger images Code: L20A980A
System: Multisystem
Power: 100-110-220-240 Volts 50/60 HZ (WORLDWIDE USE)
Price: $389.99

Shipping Weight: 20.00 pounds

Key Features:
20" Wide Screen 16 X 9 TV with Active Matrix TFT ASV (Advanced Super View) LCD Panel
HDMI input for 1080 HDTV
PC input - allows you to use this TV as a computer monitor
4:3 Aspect Ratio
NTSC/PAL/SECAM/ Color System - Watch any video signal on this TV!
NTSC/PAL BG/PAL I/Secam BG, DK/ PAL DK TV tuners
Built-in NTSC/PAL BG/PAL I/Secam BG, DK/ PAL DK TV tuners enables you to plug your cable TV line right into the TV and start watching.
Put it anywhere, even near windows, doors or other light sources and their picture will still be vivid.
60,000-Hour Lamp Life
Nicam Stereo
Teletext
LCD backlight life is long enough to give you viewing pleasure for many years.
Image Inverter for Custom Installations - allows you to invert the image upside-down or "mirror" image if you need to hang it in an unconventional manner.
160º/160º Viewing Angles are so wide you can view Liquid Crystal Televisions from anywhere in the room!
Carry Handle/Table Stand is the ultimate in convenience! Carry it easily from room to room or detach the one-piece stand for wall mounting.
450:1 contrast ratio provides incredible images whether you're watching dark or bright scenes!
Pixel Resolution: 800 x 600 x R/G/B=VGA
Brightness: 430 cd/m
Lamp Life: 60,000 hours
Viewing Angles: 170ºH / 170º V
Audio System: 2.5W + 2.5W
Component Input (Y/Pr/Pb )
S-Video Input
Composite (AV) Video Input
Composite (AV) Video Output
Power Consumption AC: 65W
Audio Output: RCA: L/R x 1
ENERGY STAR® Compliant
World-wide Dual Voltage 110-240 volts 50-60 hertz
1 year parts and labor Limited Warranty from Hitachi
Dimensions (w x h x d) 552 x 448 x 210 mm with stand or 552 x 412 x 65mm without stand
Weight: 19 lbs. (with stand) 17 lbs. (without stand)
After properly packaging the size and weight of the box will be 29" Wide, 14" High, 25" Deep and 35lbs

edit... BTW.. Amigamaniac sells really nice RGB to SVideo convertors for $33.00 Now that gives an awesome quality picture!! http://www.amigamaniac.com/amiga_hardware.html

He has one left in stock, if hes sold out i can sell you one

Last edited by kipper2k; 24 September 2009 at 22:28.
Old 24 September 2009, 22:25   #3
crazyegg

Hi Kipper2k and fellow Canuck,

I did not know about the white line issue. How about the RGB to Composite converter by AmigaManiac? This thing is MUCH cheaper than the Indivision if all I want to do is play PAL games on my PAL A600.

http://www.amigamaniac.com/index.html

PS: I think the Indivision is a better option for NTSC Amigas since there is no other way for these Amigas to properly display PAL games correct?

Regards....ed
Old 24 September 2009, 22:33   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyegg View Post
Hi Kipper2k and fellow Canuck,

I did not know about the white line issue. How about the RGB to Composite converter by AmigaManiac? This thing is MUCH cheaper than the Indivision if all I want to do is play PAL games on my PAL A600.

http://www.amigamaniac.com/index.html

PS: I think the Indivision is a better option for NTSC Amigas since there is no other way for these Amigas to properly display PAL games correct?

Regards....ed
Some games are switchable via the early startup menu when booting a 3.1 A1200/A600 but not all. the only way to truly do it is by a multisystem TV or the indivision VGA. the A1200 indivision is out, and the A600 will be released next month, however you have to remove your internal floppy which for me would be a pain. the RGB to SVideo is really a great device and really gives a crystal clear picture. if you have the money to spend, i would get the multi system TV.

heres a link on the RGB video adapter, it makes for interesting reading. (read my above thread on the Amigamaniac (Narmi) adapter

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=narmi
Old 24 September 2009, 22:40   #5
kipper2k

btw,

the ECS indivision card is $135 and you would need the a603 memory module with it ($55) and of course Canada customs need their payoff too so its not cheap

I do have a multisystem TV and its great, i can use my Pal/ntsc Amigas and it auto switches like a charm
Old 24 September 2009, 22:47   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi crazyegg,

Couldn't you just use an A520 modulator to get composite video?
Old 24 September 2009, 22:50   #7
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi crazyegg,

Couldn't you just use an A520 modulator to get composite video?
Hehe, if he does i got 2 of them here i can sell him, i dont know about PAL displays from an A520 but the NTSC is really fuzzy
Old 24 September 2009, 22:51   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Am i missing somthing here....

A600's and A1200's (and A2000's) all have a composite out....

what have I missed?
Old 24 September 2009, 22:53   #9
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Am i missing somthing here....

A600's and A1200's (and A2000's) all have a composite out....

what have I missed?

LOL... i knoww from my experience the onboard composite is not the best, i think the a520 is a little better but it would put me off using a real Amiga suffering with the composite. Also he has a Pal machine that he wants to use on a NTSC monitor so that wouldnt work for him

Last edited by kipper2k; 24 September 2009 at 23:01.
Old 24 September 2009, 23:04   #10
crazyegg

Hi Kipper2k,

Thanks again for such a detailed response...

WOW! That TV you showed is sweet and the price is relatively VERY cheap when compared to the other pricier options out there.

Just two questions though on this TV: Does the TV scan down to 15Khz when in VGA and if so, does it support BOTH PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz screen modes when in VGA? I'm hoping 'yes' so that means a scandoubler will not be necessary ;-))).

PS: Thanks for the offer on the AmigaManiac converter! If he doesn't get back to me by end of the week, just name your price! I will send you private mail on EAB with my contact info.

Im slowly getting back into my Amigas......yet again!!!

Regards....ed
Old 24 September 2009, 23:13   #11
crazyegg

Hi All,

I know it sounds weird to the Amigans in the PAL world out there but...

short of buying the Indivision, getting a composite output via the A600 RGB connector is the cheapest/best solution so as to allow NTSC (cursed?) Amigans to hook up a PAL A600 to a NTSC LCD TV in order to play PAL games.....whew....that confused even me !!!

Any questions???

Regards....ed
Old 24 September 2009, 23:19   #12
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyegg View Post
Hi Kipper2k,

Thanks again for such a detailed response...

WOW! That TV you showed is sweet and the price is relatively VERY cheap when compared to the other pricier options out there.

Just two questions though on this TV: Does the TV scan down to 15Khz when in VGA and if so, does it support BOTH PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz screen modes when in VGA? I'm hoping 'yes' so that means a scandoubler will not be necessary ;-))).

PS: Thanks for the offer on the AmigaManiac converter! If he doesn't get back to me by end of the week, just name your price! I will send you private mail on EAB with my contact info.

Im slowly getting back into my Amigas......yet again!!!

Regards....ed
K, here i'm a little fuzzy on the tech side, My TV works with my 1200 and Indivision at 60Hz, both in Pal and NTSC and my TV has a few "deadspots" (i have a Sony Bravia 26") meaning i had to go into te indivision config and set the screen frequencies manually. All games whether WHDload games/floppy will all work perfect.

I am hoping that i can eventually set up my A600 with 8 gb CF card, 8mb memory card, and an accelerator that i can use as a nice little retro games machine. Things are starting to happen now and the hardware is being developed as we speak