English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 February 2017, 14:09   #1
Nova

UADE Frontend

i would like to give uade a try. the website states, audacious (player) can be used as a frontend, but so far i could not get them working together. looking at the plugins settings, uade is missing.

which setting should i look for?

ps: converting exotic mods is my aim, is audacious the recommended frontend (besides xmms) in this matter?
Old 07 February 2017, 12:29   #2
jbl007

Hi,
uade hasn't been updated since 2009, while audacious is under active development and plugin API has changed several times. So i doubt that we can get a working plugin for a recent version.
If you only want to convert music, the command line version is the much better choice. You can output .wav files directly:
uade123 music.mod -f music.wav
Old 07 February 2017, 20:55   #3
Nova

hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Hi, uade hasn't been updated since 2009, while audacious is under active development and plugin API has changed several times. So i doubt that we can get a working plugin for a recent version.
yes, it seems the latest version of uade is quite dated, but did you ever succeed with uade acting as a plugin? i could not find any hints on this matter, how is this supposed to work after all (when installed from the arch aur)?

Quote:
If you only want to convert music, the command line version is the much better choice. You can output .wav files directly:
uade123 music.mod -f music.wav
commandline is fine, but as it is quite some mods waiting for conversion, so i would prefer a frontend. deadbeef player is also mentioned to work as a frontend, which would be ideal, as i am already using it. then again, i could not manage to get it recognize uade, too?

has anyone recently found an uade & frontend solution that works (or has an even better native linux suggestion to it)?
Old 07 February 2017, 23:02   #4
emufan

did you try to build uade on your own, on your linux box?

next to the standard version here is a quadmode version, based on 2.13.

extract source, ./configure and make. is described on the website.
Old 08 February 2017, 12:21   #5
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
did you ever succeed with uade acting as a plugin? i could not find any hints on this matter, how is this supposed to work after all (when installed from the arch aur)?
Yes, I used it and it worked. I think, I installed from AUR but I don't remember for sure. The plugin worked like any other input plugin. If you build it, you get a library (*.so) which can be copied to plugins dir /usr/lib/audacious/Input/

Quote:
commandline is fine, but as it is quite some mods waiting for conversion, so i would prefer a frontend.
You need a little script or one-liner that converts your files in a loop.

Quote:
deadbeef player is also mentioned to work as a frontend
Haven't found it on the official homepage.

Another solution, compile and install an old version from 2009 of audacious. Sources should still be available. But this could be a pain because of missing/outdated dependencies.
Old 08 February 2017, 18:02   #6
Nova

Quote:
Yes, I used it and it worked. I think, I installed from AUR but I don't remember for sure. The plugin worked like any other input plugin. If you build it, you get a library (*.so) which can be copied to plugins dir /usr/lib/audacious/Input/
ok, many thanks for this hint, need to give it a try

yes, a script would be helpful. (but) perhaps uade123 offers batch conversion out of the box?

here is the deadbeef frontend info that i found. i think it was also mentioned in a forum, but i dont recall the site anymore...

@emufan: no, it is avaiable in the arch user repo, so i went straight forward. thanks for the link.
Old 29 January 2023, 20:33   #7
Tundrah

Hi,

FYI I've updated my UADE plugin to support latest Audacious (and UADE), testers welcome

https://github.com/mvtiaine/audacious-uade

Currently you have to build / install it from source.
Old 21 March 2023, 22:20   #8
Tundrah

Fixed Linux build and actually tested on Linux as well.