English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 July 2002, 13:50   #1
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

F 18 Interceptor Qualification Mission

Okay, I'm sure fans of flight sims are going to blast me out of the sky for this question, but it is one I just had to ask.

I got F 18 Interceptor with my Amiga, and instantly fell in love with it. There was one slight problem...I could never get past the Qualification mission, the mission that changes you from a rookie/trainee to a pilot.

At the start of this mission, it tells you to "Take off from the aircraft carrier, fly around, come back, and land." That's it.

That's what I do. And when I land, the mission never finishes.

What am I supposed to do? What does "fly around" mean. Fly a circle around the aircraft carrier? Fly 'around' in general? If so, for how long? 5 minutes? When I land, is there a button I must press to conclude the mission?

This has been frustrating me for years...ever since I got my Amiga 500! If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful

PS: I never bothered with the previous training missions- the ones that taught you Barrel Rolls and Split Xs. Do you have to complete them in order to qualify too?

Thanx.
Old 07 July 2002, 14:28   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

My memory of this great game is a bit hazy, but as far as I can remember...
To complete the take off and landing mission, all I did was take off (be careful not to touch left or right on the joystick) fly ahead for a little while and then pull up. Keep pulling upwards until you are flying back over the carrier upside down. Fly over and past it until you have gone a fair distance from it (not too far though, it should still be visible). Then push forward on the joystick until you are facing the carrier the correct way up again. Make your approach and reduce your speed accordingly. As you touch down release the arrestor hook which should stop you completely. Turn off the engines. This mission should now be completed and you should be returned to the main menu.
Im sure that the completion of this qualifiing mission was not dependant on the other ones.

This is definitely the way i qualified so flying in a circle around the carrier is NOT necessary.

I too was stuck on this for ages so I hope this helps
Old 07 July 2002, 16:03   #3
Bloodwych

Muzkat

I used to qualify just as Dast described, on about second attempt if I remember rightly.

I can't believe you haven't qualified, let alone not finished interceptor!

Although they’re only a few missions, the one's that are there are great. I love the mission where you have to chase a cruise missile that's heading in the bridge direction.

The good thing is that you can enjoy completing it now.

Well, what are you waiting for?
Old 08 July 2002, 03:31   #4
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: F 18 Interceptor Qualification Mission

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzkat
Okay, I'm sure fans of flight sims are going to blast me out of the sky for this question, but it is one I just had to ask.

I got F 18 Interceptor with my Amiga, and instantly fell in love with it. There was one slight problem...I could never get past the Qualification mission, the mission that changes you from a rookie/trainee to a pilot.

At the start of this mission, it tells you to "Take off from the aircraft carrier, fly around, come back, and land." That's it.

That's what I do. And when I land, the mission never finishes.

What am I supposed to do? What does "fly around" mean. Fly a circle around the aircraft carrier? Fly 'around' in general? If so, for how long? 5 minutes? When I land, is there a button I must press to conclude the mission?

This has been frustrating me for years...ever since I got my Amiga 500! If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful

PS: I never bothered with the previous training missions- the ones that taught you Barrel Rolls and Split Xs. Do you have to complete them in order to qualify too?

Thanx.
Happened to me too, If it did that i would just Taxi up and down the carrier, and if I got bored, I would just take off and use the carrier for target practice. But I have completed the mission before, it DOES happen, if not always

Enjoy the flying.

My favorite, flying just above the sea with afterburners on.

Last edited by whiteb; 08 July 2002 at 03:42.
Old 08 July 2002, 04:42   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Smile Completion of training mission

OK here's how to complete the mission:

1. Take off from the carrier, set afterburners on (F10 twice).
2. Once off the carrier, pull back and fly back over the carrier.
3. Once you are far enough back and at least 3000 feet, set the throttle to about 50% and push forward until you are up the right way again.
4. Now line yourself up over the carrier going as fast as you see fit. 40%-60% should be OK to land.
5. Put the arristahook down by pressing A.
6. Now it's all up to you! You must catch the cable (the grey lines) on the carrier so make sure you are low enough when you go past them.

I am guessing you never landed with the arristahook catching the cable. If you don't, you will have to fly around again, so this is probably the problem you encountered.

Now onto fun matters, I used to have competitions with my cousin to do the most unusual landing. We used to land without any engines on, landing at 100% thrust with burners, landing side on to the carrier (very tricky) etc. What a cool game, still the best flight sim I've played on any machine!
Old 08 July 2002, 11:32   #6
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: Completion of training mission

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
OK here's how to complete the mission:

Now onto fun matters, I used to have competitions with my cousin to do the most unusual landing. We used to land without any engines on, landing at 100% thrust with burners, landing side on to the carrier (very tricky) etc. What a cool game, still the best flight sim I've played on any machine!
And it will be for some time yet. Microsoft flight sim might have fancy graphics, but F-18 still draws the crowds.
Old 08 July 2002, 14:58   #7
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Happy

Thanks for the response guys. I appreciate it.

Time to take to the skies, methinks.
Old 11 July 2002, 16:09   #8
spooner

Happy re:

i used to do the same thing! take off, not touch the left right axis, fly in a loop da loop, then land on the carrier, with a perfect heading!

question:

when i got this game out of the box when i bought it, it said to make a backup copy. This was because your pilot name / info etc was saved back to the disk.

I would love to have an original untouched version in ADF format if any one has it.

the version ive got has been modded to someone called "Alfie Quist." Im pretty sure i got this version from Lazarus some time back.

thanks in advance

Old 21 March 2023, 13:39   #9
rasclaat

I have played this a lot on Amiga and subsequently WinUAE - probably more on WinUAE by now- and the game can be inconsistent in registering your carrier landings, in missions and in qualification.

Last time I decided to start the game again I noticed that to finish qualification, despite having avoided various missiles and taken out both MiGs with machine gun, I had to be facing in the same direction I was when I took off, and over the grey wires. I actually landed on the carrier in the opposite direction then taxied round until I was in the right place and orientation.
Old 22 March 2023, 07:03   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

The easiest way is just to use MCE to mark that mission as complete ;-)

Last edited by Minuous; 22 March 2023 at 09:14.
Old 22 March 2023, 11:03   #11
rasclaat

But... but... then you'd be flying a warplane around a built up area without the appropriate qualifications! :O

I would definitely consider that for the 'downed pilot' mission but recently realised if you go to external view zoomed out a bit and fly over at 50% thrust at about 30 feet it's easy to land the damn pod in the right place.