English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 January 2020, 23:42   #1
fxgogo

Anyone running the Amiga in MAME?

Just busy setting up a MAME installation and I wondered how many people run their Amiga through this system.
Old 22 January 2020, 23:46   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

Nope, I keep MAME strictly for Arcade games only; as it should be... and the inclusion of MESS still annoys me to this day

WinUAE only for Amiga games; as it more advanced / accurate than any other emulator
Old 23 January 2020, 00:24   #3
Retro1234
Boo

is there anyway of doing this on Android?
Old 23 January 2020, 00:26   #4
fxgogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Nope, I keep MAME strictly for Arcade games only; as it should be... and the inclusion of MESS still annoys me to this day
One ring to rule them all....
Old 23 January 2020, 00:28   #5
fxgogo

Just been playing with the shadow mask, scanline options in MAME. They are really really good. With some more tweaking, I could get a great fake CRT look.

I don't remember WinUAE running CRT emulation that advanced. Am I just behind the times?
Old 23 January 2020, 00:38   #6
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I don't remember WinUAE running CRT emulation that advanced. Am I just behind the times?
Yes, read / look through this thread: Corrected shaders for WinUAE
Old 23 January 2020, 08:31   #7
fxgogo

Thanks Damien D. 17 pages of discussion. Yip, I think I have been out of it for a while...
Old 23 January 2020, 10:58   #8
dreadnought

Quote:
Just been playing with the shadow mask, scanline options in MAME. They are really really good. With some more tweaking, I could get a great fake CRT look.

You'd be probably better off emulating Amiga in Retroarch for that (PUAE core), their shaders are amazing (though admittedly I haven't tried the new WinUAE ones yet).
Old 24 January 2020, 00:17   #9
Foebane

Quote:
Just busy setting up a MAME installation and I wondered how many people run their Amiga through this system.
I didn't even know you COULD. Is it totally non-UAE?
Old 24 January 2020, 00:27   #10
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I didn't even know you COULD.
Yes, since the inclusion of MESS into MAME many years ago now; the current official MAME versions allow you to play old computer / consoles also.

I'll repeat what I've said above though (and in other threads); this was the worst move ever IMHO

I want MAME to be only Arcade games like it was for close to 20 years... if I want to play around with old computers / consoles; then I'll use the best emulators for that job, not some mega hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Is it totally non-UAE?
Yup, nothing to do with Toni, or any other pioneering Amiga emulator authors.

As a result; it's not as accurate as WinUAE for example
Old 24 January 2020, 10:57   #11
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I want MAME to be only Arcade games like it was for close to 20 years... if I want to play around with old computers / consoles; then I'll use the best emulators for that job, not some mega hybrid

Didn't know that MAME can do this. Anyway, I agree, that I would rather take a good emulator. I also wonder how stable MAME is, because they tend to break compatibility with every new version, which I find rather annoying.
Old 24 January 2020, 11:13   #12
LanceT

Tried it a few years ago. Not a great experience, trying to get it setup and all. Gave it a miss, haven't been back since. Just way to slow.
[ Show youtube player ]
P.S : I was changing the speeds of the animation via key presses.

Last edited by LanceT; 24 January 2020 at 11:20.
Old 24 January 2020, 11:44   #13
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Didn't know that MAME can do this. Anyway, I agree, that I would rather take a good emulator. I also wonder how stable MAME is, because they tend to break compatibility with every new version, which I find rather annoying.
Back in the day there was MAME and MESS - the former dedicated to emulation of arcade games, the latter for everything else, sharing the same core though. They merged in 2015 for various reasons, the bottom line of which is that it is a better solution for the devs.

Sure, the MESS emulators are often inferior to standalone ones, but not always so, many of them are very good. Also, their main target is accuracy, and they emulate heaps of unpopular machines you can't find anywhere else.

There is also a good reason why some of the MAME games are "broken" in new releases - the devs are always trying to either improve the code or are finding new versions, so obvioulsy you need to match your romsets with releases if you want to be up to date. It's not really necessary to enjoy the bulk of what MAME offers, personally I update maybe once or twice a year.
Old 24 January 2020, 12:48   #14
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
It's not really necessary to enjoy the bulk of what MAME offers, personally I update maybe once or twice a year.

Yeah. Because of that I stopped updating some time ago. I have the roms I'm interested in, and they work, so I rather keep an outdated version that works with what I want, instead of the brandnew shiny version which breaks, so I don't have to hunt down new rom versions all the time.
Old 24 January 2020, 13:23   #15
Gzegzolka

Nope. I hear it was possible, but it is pointless for me.
I am used to WinUAE for Amiga emulation and old MAME for arcade games.
I keep three older versions of WinUAE if I find game that wont work in latest one.
I keep five versions of MAME32UI to cover my romset. For day to day quick emulation I prefer old MAME32 0.123 version - it is old, but it run smooth, start quick and cover most of my romset.
Latest versions of MAME run too slow for me, it took ages to open them. I would love to see more arcade hardware in new versions rather that current build in television games or different computers. I am sure there are still some rare arcade games that do not work in emulation. It would be awesome if Vertexer or Spell Singer were available in MAME
Old 24 January 2020, 13:26   #16
Hewitson

Rather than add MESS to MAME, I'd have liked to see MAME split into several smaller emulators.

It's nothing but a bloated piece of shit these days.

Edit: The current source code is 930 MB and consists of 35,922 files!

Last edited by Hewitson; 24 January 2020 at 13:31.
Old 24 January 2020, 15:36   #17
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'd have liked to see MAME split into several smaller emulators.
That's basically what MAME is in a way. Each arcade game needs custom code to emulate accurately.
Old 24 January 2020, 16:05   #18
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It's nothing but a bloated piece of shit these days.
Yeah, let's take a massive dump on people who made arcade gaming in your room possible, and bothered to write countless emus for forgotten machines. Seriously...
Old 24 January 2020, 16:17   #19
drHirudo
Amiga user

MAME is currently the best emulator of them all for many many reasons!

It can emulate countless of rare machines (including the Amiga) with very good precision. The merge with MESS was a good step, since now when some chip emulation for arcade machine improves, it also benefits some of the computers that use such chip as well. And no it's not better to use standalone emulators that were last updated years ago. Instead MAME is updated each month and bugfixes happen all the time. Even I reported some bugs that were fixed - via the https://mametesters.org/ website. So if you find some bug or something not very well done in the Amiga emulation in MAME, you can always report the bug to the developers.

P.S. I use MAME since 1999 and used it on Amiga, AmigaOne, Nokia N-Gage, Apple Macintosh, PC, PlayStation 2, PSP, PSVita, Android, Linux, JXD, Dingoo ,Anbernic RG350, GPD Win and many other rare and not so rare platforms.

P.P.S. MAME RULEZ!!!111

Last edited by drHirudo; 24 January 2020 at 16:23. Reason: P.S.
Old 24 January 2020, 17:07   #20
sparhawk

I don't know the source structure of MAME. I also had the impression that all different machines were basically seperate projects within MAME, so I always wondered why it made sense to put hundreds of seperate machines into a single executable.

This only makes sense if there is an abstraction layer where you can describe machine properties and then gets an emulation. Don't know if MAME is written in such a way, but then you would definitely the the benefit of fixing one problem for some machine, and have it fixed in similar machines as well for free.