English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 July 2019, 22:51   #21
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfPlum View Post
How's your experience? Can the Amiga be used as any other computer for every day tasks - surfing web, watching Youtube, gmail, facebook, playing mp3s, watching videos, accessing my nas/network, netflix, etc ...
Vampire is about 233mhz 68060, so you can do thing with it, but it a hobby machine, not a general use computer.

If you want to buy it, do it but be realistic. Amiga OS machines are hobby machines.
Old 30 July 2019, 01:02   #22
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by croupier View Post
Hi, sorry to steal the thread....what type of adaptor are you talking here?

The JERRY+.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Amiga-...B/231881903933
Old 30 July 2019, 02:38   #23
ProfPlum

Thank-you everyone for your comments.

RE: That Jerry+ adapter (last message). I believe Jerry has been replaced with the Tom (v2) adapter. I am using a Tom adapter with a regular pc usb mouse. It works fine.
Old 30 July 2019, 14:25   #24
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Vampire is about 233mhz 68060
Do you have a source for it? I read current Vampire V2 68080 is practical like a 68060 at around 100 MHz.
Old 30 July 2019, 15:16   #25
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Do you have a source for it? I read current Vampire V2 68080 is practical like a 68060 at around 100 MHz.
While I personally think the 233 MHz 060 number only holds for some specific tasks and other than that is exaggerated, for all I know the 080 is faster than a 100 MHz 060 (but a lot closer to 100 MHz than to 233 MHz for standard usecases). There was one user with an 060 overclocked to 126 MHz who kept posting his benchmark results until finally it was superseded by the 080 in all disciplines.
Old 30 July 2019, 17:50   #26
daxb

Was that in a1k.org recently with FlatHamsters charts? I read that too and the 060 126 MHz (I had around 100 MHz in mind) and your? 080 values were nearly close. At least we can't say it is much faster. And if I remember right it was already the fastest vampire version what not all cards can reach. The Vampire standalone will be (much?!) faster. We will see.
Old 30 July 2019, 18:56   #27
hUMUNGUs

I have the V500+ and i am super happy. I´m getting the V4 aswell. Cant recommend it enough. Go for it !
Old 31 July 2019, 06:27   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I believe Jerry has been replaced with the Tom (v2) adapter. I am using a Tom adapter with a regular pc usb mouse. It works fine.
Jerry(+) is for mice using PS/2 protocol only while Tom supports HID USB keyboards, joystick and mice which is why Jerry is the cheaper option of the two if you do not need all the fancy features of the Tom adapter.
Old 31 July 2019, 07:53   #29
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
How's your experience? Can the Amiga be used as any other computer for every day tasks - surfing web, watching Youtube, gmail, facebook, playing mp3s, watching videos, accessing my nas/network, netflix, etc ...
Yes.

I don't use gmail, facebook or netflix, I don't listen to mp3s and rarely bother with YouTube. I do watch TVNZ 'On-Demand' tv programs over the net, but for that I have a dedicated PC in the exercise room running Linux.

For other stuff the Amiga can't do I use a PC running Windows XP. There are some things it can't do too either, eg. run KiCAD in opengl (video driver too old!) and others it's too slow for (that's right, a dual-core 2.8GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM is not enough!).

The Vampire in my A600 is great because it makes web browsing much more enjoyable on content-heavy sites, and it compiles C programs much faster. The RTG is great too, and it runs Wolfenstein 3D insanely fast!

My Amigas can't do everything and neither can my PC's, but I don't care. I can access most of the websites I want to with IBrowse (hopefully even more when 2.5 comes out), and the rest on the PC. I can play MODs all day on my stereo while programing in 68k assembler or C and browsing the web at the same time, download and try out the latest Amiga games etc., and use the PC to backup files over the network, all from the comfort of my living room with the Amiga on the coffee table hooked up to a big-screen TV. That's good enough for me!
Old 31 July 2019, 08:16   #30
Mr-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Jerry(+) is for mice using PS/2 protocol only while Tom supports HID USB keyboards, joystick and mice which is why Jerry is the cheaper option of the two if you do not need all the fancy features of the Tom adapter.

I have a TOM, it's really nice the only things it lacks is scrollwheel support.
For all the rest it works superb!

I have a V600 and a V4 (yes I'm a beta tester), if you want to have the fastest possible 68K Amiga the Vampire is the way to go (060/60Mhz feels slow and sluggish compared to vamp)

Like others pointed out it doesn't have the horsepower to make your Amiga a daily driver again, for that we need a Vampire that is like 10 times faster and that would result in a VERY expensive FPGA most of us could not afford.

Second the obvious lack of software ofc like a kinda up to date or up to date enough browser that could access most sites decently enough.

I did manage to get netsurf working with a video conversion site and the modified RIVA version that supports the SIMD instructions (AMMX) of the AC68080, and with that you get a decent 24 FPS playback speed on 640x360 res (even 233 Mhz 604e can't reach that FPS by far btw!)

It's a novelty ofc, it works but that's it.

No a Vampire sadly cannot replace your PC/MAC/Whatever but it does give your Classic Miggy new life, fun and a whole lot of extra's and a very good bang for the buck compared to other products out there.

What does work really nice with vamp ?

-Samba
-FTPmount (i get up to 2 MB/sec over local network PCMCIA 10/100card A600)

-Play Mp3 (you'll almost don't even notice playing)
-Super fast jpeg decoding with the nice AMMX jpg datatype)
-Google drive,dropbox
-Nice high res very fast WB (1280x720 works really fast)
-Watching mpeg 1 movies
-Fast IDE (on V500+)
-Boot time is really short (No 3.9 setpatch reboot!)
-Watching heavy RTG scene demos is the best on V600/V500+ (2 MB chip required)
-On V4 even better (AGA support)
-A lot stuff i probably forgot
Old 31 July 2019, 08:41   #31
ronybeck

Quote:
Can the Amiga be used as any other computer for every day tasks - surfing web, watching Youtube, gmail, facebook, playing mp3s, watching videos, accessing my nas/network, netflix, etc ...
If you want to enjoy 68k based Amiga computing at its finest, the Vampire boards are for sure great value. I have one for my A500+ and my A600 and I wouldn't own an amiga without them anymore. The speed of the CPU and RTG makes the Amiga a joy to use. It is by far the best OS3 Amiga experience you can have on real hardware.

But you have to align your expectations. To properly do all of those things you want to do, just like you would on Windows/Linux/Mac (as you described as "used as any other computer for every day tasks") requires more software support than currently exists on OS3. You may have seen from AMIGASYSTEM, that he was able to accomplish the playing of online videos with some additional effort. But don't expect this out of the box.

I would buy a Vampire to relive the classic Amiga experience at its finest. I wouldn't buy it if you need it to play Netflix or use Facebook.
Old 31 July 2019, 09:41   #32
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronybeck View Post
You may have seen from AMIGASYSTEM, that he was able to accomplish the playing of online videos with some additional effort.
If FFplay Works a system there would be on Vampire to see some types of video links in MP4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cG...piVisXg5ELrXKH
Old 03 August 2019, 15:26   #33
ProfPlum

After 25 (?) years of Amiga inactivity, I have looked at it again.

I had an A2000 with no keyboard or mouse. Now I do (via adapters). Got rid of the 2090a for a buddha, upgraded to rom 3.1, added some more memory to my ram card.

I was looking at getting the Indivision flicker/fixer and the vampire - why not, you only live once. I was going to place the order/put me on the waiting list.

Now, I'm not so sure. After getting everything up and running, the computer was giving me a lot of crashes and system failures. Yellow screens, green screens, other crashes. I found a floppy with a ram test app for my ram card. I discovered some of the ram wasn't making full contact. I re-seated all of them, all fine now. No ram test failures.

System has been stable in the last 2 days. Mind you, I removed the 3.1 rom and reformatted back to wb 1.3. I don't know what it is. I'm pretty disappointed. I guess after so many years, there's bound to be some sort of failure. I need to experiment some more.

On a side note, the amount of swapping when playing games is crazy. And I'm trying to figure out how to get downloaded apps (from my pc) to the Amiga.
Old 05 August 2019, 17:40   #34
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Probably crazy in the eyes of some, but I plan to do this:

A2000 rev6.2,
Vampire V2,
SBC PC board.

The SBC will be slaved to the Amiga with the main intention of providing all the faffy stuff like Youtube, browsing, downloading amiga stuff, running an arduino floppy writer etc. Probably will put linux on it.

I have concerns about the psu in these 2000's and stuffing this SBC in, have visions of it all dying in a puff of magic smoke.

I have a pair of NOS psu units from Analogic. But! I have another plan. I bought some custom built ATX adaptors that provide the correct tick-signal. If all goes well I will find a decent atx psu, it will be a bit OTT but I really do want just one main Amiga that does everything possible on a desk with no other piles of hardware about.
Old 07 August 2019, 04:57   #35
ProfPlum

How does the speed of the Vampire's RTG graphics compare to a Picasso (2/4) or CyberVision 64 card and how good is compatibility with RTG written software?
Old 07 August 2019, 15:00   #36
demolition
Unregistered User

I think the compatibility with P96 is 100% - I am not aware that the Vampire driver is missing any functionality of the P96 API.

Regarding the speed, this thread states that it is the fastest solution around - even faster than Voodoo3:
http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...226&order=&x=0

And this is an old test so I can only imagine the speed must have improved with later cores.