English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 04 April 2017, 03:10   #601
Tachyon
OG Amiga user

I got my adapter board that allows me to program Amiga ROM's with the TL866 so I'm ready for DiagROM. Waiting on the actual blanks though.
My big holdup on the project is the CPLD's.
I solved the microscope issue too....a while ago actually. I've been doing SMD's without one for a couple years.
Old 04 April 2017, 08:19   #602
kolla
Banned

Did you use any connection between the Atari and the Amiga to keep them in sync, or did you have to tune the speed much before recording, or do they just stay in sync by setting the bpm to the same?
Old 04 April 2017, 08:26   #603
plasmab
Banned

Kolla there is another thread for that video on eab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05 April 2017, 02:16   #604
havok1919

Got my boards today (still waiting on some other parts), but since some people were challenged by the 0.5mm pitch VQFP CPLDs I figured I stick one down on a board on video without using anything too fancy (no microscope, no solder paste/reflow, x-ray, etc.) -- just a fine tip, some liquid flux, and leaded solder (because we can still have that here in the USA). ;-)

Pretty bare-bones video, one take with my old SD camcorder so it's not exactly broadcast quality, but hopefully someone finds it helpful. Sometimes just seeing how someone else does something is all it takes to solve a problem...

[ Show youtube player ]

-Clay
Old 05 April 2017, 09:44   #605
idrougge

Just to avoid confusion: It's perfectly legal and very easy to buy leaded solder in Europe. If you buy amateur equipment, that's usually the default option.
Old 05 April 2017, 14:05   #606
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Just to avoid confusion: It's perfectly legal and very easy to buy leaded solder in Europe. If you buy amateur equipment, that's usually the default option.
Indeed. There is no issue. I believe you wont get a CE mark for *consumer* level equipment that contains lead. But thats it.

You can still get a CE mark for servers that contain lead i believe.
Old 05 April 2017, 19:50   #607
havok1919

Ah, I guess I'll have to quit making fun of you guys then. ;-) My last run-in was a number of years ago exporting a little gaming device (the Uzebox) in to the EU and having to pay a service bureau big bucks for RoHS compliance testing (and other CE stuff).

But yeah, use leaded solder if you can! ;-)
Old 05 April 2017, 19:53   #608
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok1919 View Post
Ah, I guess I'll have to quit making fun of you guys then. ;-)
Nah keep it up ... keeps us sharp

Quote:
But yeah, use leaded solder if you can! ;-)
Absolutely!!
Old 05 April 2017, 20:23   #609
Mr.Flibble

Just had my boards arrive - Some of the boards are definitely a little warped, but other than that, they look really good

Old 05 April 2017, 20:56   #610
plasmab
Banned

Good luck with that Mr Flibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05 April 2017, 21:52   #611
Mr.Flibble

Hmm, looks like everyone is out of stock of the CPLD's at the moment, although RS has the 7ns variant.

Edit: ah ignore me, had the wrong link. https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-de...1388-ND/826991 is the one we want.
Old 05 April 2017, 22:05   #612
Mr.Flibble

Eh, what's going on? The github account is now empty?

and why is plasmab labelled as banned?
Old 05 April 2017, 22:19   #613
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
Eh, what's going on? The github account is now empty?

and why is plasmab labelled as banned?
All his videos are gone from Youtube, last comment on his account, 18 minutes ago as I post this, "I'm Done".

Who is the Moron who has said something to upset him ?

[edit] just been chatting with him, and while he does not want to go in to details, he has been banned.

So I put it to the mods, I think we need to know what has happened here, we need people like him creating boards like this for the Amiga, and while I do not know the full story, can we get a comment ?

Last edited by whiteb; 05 April 2017 at 22:27.
Old 05 April 2017, 22:26   #614
talybont

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
All his videos are gone from Youtube, last comment on his account, 18 minutes ago as I post this, "I'm Done".

Who is the Moron who has said something to upset him ?
I think it was the other way around, he hurt someones feelings on the internet and had to be punished. I am starting to see why everything Amiga fails. The Amiga attracts some brilliant people, but mostly morons. I am a moron btw.
Old 05 April 2017, 22:33   #615
trixster
Guru Meditating

Crazy.

Come back! You're project and videos are fascinating!
Old 05 April 2017, 22:36   #616
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talybont View Post
I think it was the other way around, he hurt someones feelings on the internet and had to be punished. I am starting to see why everything Amiga fails. The Amiga attracts some brilliant people, but mostly morons. I am a moron btw.
I always say that this is the unfortunate side of the internet, its all text, all black and white, all emotionless. I can call someone a Dickhead in text, with a smile on my face and in humour, but its the emotionless side of text that someone will take that as an actual attack. (Having said which, I have been known to bait people on facebook, its a facebook thing).

Again, I am not privvy to the full conversation, so I will never know, but another Amiga project bites the dust, and yes, it is the community at large that suffers
Old 05 April 2017, 22:38   #617
a4k-oerx

Totally crazy. I am following all your videos and have the greatest respect for all your work and sharing. Don't let it get you down. Not worth it. Keep doing what you like. Thanks!
Old 05 April 2017, 22:46   #618
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
So I put it to the mods, I think we need to know what has happened here, we need people like him creating boards like this for the Amiga, and while I do not know the full story, can we get a comment ?
It's a shame that the posts aren't there for you to make your own judgement.
What I saw was that plasmab asked a question on the Vampire thread, was asked to clarify and became insulting - "are you dim?", "learn some electronics" and so on. Don't blame the mods - they need to enforce the rules evenly and not give favourable treatment based on someone's achievements. Hopefully there's a way back from here or at least that someone's got the repositories backed up.
Old 05 April 2017, 22:53   #619
Overflow

When I saw the exchange between grond and plasmab I feared this would take wrong turn, and it seemed it did.
I liked Majsta's neutral and compromising tone, and hoped it would defuse the situation.
It still seems like a rather harsh reaction if the "dim" comment is all it took.
Old 05 April 2017, 22:55   #620
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
It's a shame that the posts aren't there for you to make your own judgement.
What I saw was that plasmab asked a question on the Vampire thread, was asked to clarify and became insulting - "are you dim?", "learn some electronics" and so on. Don't blame the mods - they need to enforce the rules evenly and not give favourable treatment based on someone's achievements. Hopefully there's a way back from here or at least that someone's got the repositories backed up.
That is the thing, as end users we only see the resulting fall out. If someone told me to "Learn some Electronics" I would be saying "I would LOVE to", and I admit, I know about as much about creating the boards, as a brick would, in flying a plane.

I am pretty sure I have the last archive he put out...., seems last I downloaded was March 15th.