English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 April 2009, 03:13   #1
stefcep

Big grin "Pure" platformers?

Platform game=MARIO. Mario gives al we need to know about platformers. Sadly no other Amiga platformer comes close. And part of the problem is the control: using a joystick to push up to jump makes the games harder-not in a fun sort of way either- then they are.
But Great Giana sisters is OK.
Old 25 April 2009, 03:36   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
Platform game=MARIO. Mario gives al we need to know about platformers. Sadly no other Amiga platformer comes close. And part of the problem is the control: using a joystick to push up to jump makes the games harder-not in a fun sort of way either- then they are.
I love platform games, but i really couldnt disagree with this any-less than absolutely!

I love platformers like NZS, Rainbow Islands, Robocod and more.... Mario to me is frankly horrible (there will always be people with whom it doesnt sit well) and Giana-Sisters, by the same token, a horrible ugly clone.

That's my opinion however, but to be -so- dismissive of Amiga platforms by the token of 'mario is better' really cracks me up.

Some of use actually prefer using up-to-jump by the way

For me, Dastardly has already provided a list of the cream-of-the-crop.
Old 25 April 2009, 03:53   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

There are tons of decent platformer games for all the gaming platforms, and too many to list them all. Dastardly's list covers only a very few of them. That's for sure.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 25 April 2009 at 04:08.
Old 25 April 2009, 11:53   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There are tons of decent platformer games for all the gaming platforms, and too many to list them all.
true. but we are talking Amiga platform games here, are we not? The original poster did mention winuae afterall.

Quote:
Dastardly's list covers only a very few of them. That's for sure.
i think you've missed my point retro-nerd. "cream of the crop" ("the top ones", if you prefer) would only be a list of very few.
Old 25 April 2009, 14:13   #5
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
I 2nd what Hungry Horace says here. Mario is "not" the be all and end all and is not the greatest platform game ever made as you may be indicating here!? Its simply a matter of personal taste and personal bias towards the game, but personal bias does not indicate true fact.

Yes, Mario is a "good" game, but this whole argument about pushing up to jump has no basis on whether the game is good or bad because i grew with with EVERY game when i was younger being a case of push up for jump and i think its the method i adore the most because that is what i "grew up" with.

Actually, i cannot STAND using a button on joypad to jump, it drives me absolutely mental and couldn't hate that control system anymore than i already do.

So sorry mate, i will have to 100% disagree with you on that one
Old 25 April 2009, 15:16   #6
WhoReallyCares

up 2 jump is reallly stupid I'm sorry. Pure platforms like Mario need 2 buttons like for speed running then jump.

Let me explain to you. You hold you left thumb where it normal goes (sorry)and your index and middle finger on A and B with your right thumb under controller (so sorry).

This is how to play pure platform. Later they evolve with super mario 64 analog and z b button etc.

very sorry but nothing on Amiga come near this. Dastardly makes a good listing but ultimate isthat Mario etc. will laugh.

Mario etc. is ultimate. Amiga with Prince and Flash has unique but always crippled. Why? One button and up 2 jump.
Old 25 April 2009, 15:40   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoReallyCares View Post
Pure platforms like Mario need 2 buttons like for speed running then jump.
maybe thats exactly -why- (for some people) Mario is not the greatest (or in my case, even particularly likable) platform game at all?

Quote:
This is how to play pure platform. Later they evolve with super mario 64 analog and z b button etc.
So every game that doesnt feature the need for an extra button, isnt a 'pure' platformer?

Quote:
very sorry but nothing on Amiga come near this. Dastardly makes a good listing but ultimate isthat Mario etc. will laugh.

Mario etc. is ultimate. Amiga with Prince and Flash has unique but always crippled. Why? One button and up 2 jump.
pure opinion. You're entitled to it. But i'm also entitled to massively disagree.
Old 25 April 2009, 15:43   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
pure opinion. You're entitled to it. But i'm also entitled to massively disagree.
Oh how I love to second that Horace I can live with both, but since I played on C64 before any console, the 'up = jump' is my 'natural' way of doing it
Old 25 April 2009, 16:07   #9
WhoReallyCares

why don't you like Mario? Is that because no Amiga platform can equal? I love Amiga but for platform console is better, so sorry!

Look at near all consoles, each one has better platform than Amiga almost.

NES super Mario Bros. 1/2/3
SNES super mario world
GEN/MEGA sonic
PC EN bonk

And they are only pure/classic type, laugh. I will play on emu any of them before all Amiga if they not unique.

maybe you don't like "immature cartoon style"? well look at run and gun platform. Sorry Contra III smash Turrican't.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:09   #10
DH
Global Moderator

@WhoReallyCares

Platformers and *pure* platformers were around before they even designed a joystick that had two or more independent buttons or even a gamepad. Who really cares whether you need to push the joystick up to jump etc, it's all in the game play and it adds that uniqueness to the real platform games.

Having a gamepad that has a button that does everything conceivable, IMHO, is just pointless and boring, but having to use a one buttoned joystick and having to work things out to actually achieve something in the platformer uses the ingeniousness of the person.

Take another look at the Amiga platformers, I think you'll find they were the best, of the best, of the best my friend
Old 25 April 2009, 16:17   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Well if we all want to have a go at ignoring anyone else's opinions then i might as well say;

Manic Miner walks all over all the Mario games, because that only needs three keyboard controls.

As a character, Miner Willy literally cant do anything else but walk and jump on platforms. There is no more "pure" platform game than that surely?

Everything else must be rubbish then, and clearly not worth playing.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:19   #12
WhoReallyCares

So sorry but I like to speed run in Mario DemonHellraiser.
And in shoot em and root em game whatever they scroll (up or down) I like two or more button.

I don't like to make dog's breakfast out of trying to nuke by doing epileptic joystick movement like in xenon 1 or later on in terrible Team 17 game Project x.

proper arcade have gunfire button and nuke button. Please come to the future, laugh.
maybe you never play game that need combo.

man you play streetfighter 2 on SNES than with one button joystick on Amiga. This not on topic so much but understand 1 button restrict.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:22   #13
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

if you want a pure platform game

have this

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 25 April 2009, 16:27   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@WhoReallyCares
I wonder what your purpose here might be my friend. Seems a bit like you came to troll tbh. Doesn't seem that you would agree that it's about opinions and preferences and this thread is about 'awesome platformers' on the Amiga.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:28   #15
WhoReallyCares

discomeats, you made me laugh. That was good man
Old 25 April 2009, 16:30   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i have a question... does NZS become a better game than Mario if i add 2-button mode into the WHDload slave? Does it become a better game generally, even if the jump-contol-mode is switchable?

but what if i then still play on one-button, as i prefer it??
Old 25 April 2009, 16:42   #17
WhoReallyCares

cyberdruid '' no troll, just to agree with stefcep about Mario and up 2 jump. But I'm not of the Giana sisters liking like he and like NZS that the only game Dastardly mention that is not good, not good at all. It did not entertain even when I was child.
Old 25 April 2009, 16:59   #18
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I'd like to point out that my list was only supposed to be my favourite Amiga platformers.

I actually think that the 2D Mario's are the best examples of pure platform gaming. For me they have absolutely 100% perfect controls. If I lose a life in one of these games it never feels like I've been cheated by the game, it feels like my fault. On the other hand the 3D Mario's are bloody awful and might as well be a completely different franchise.

I'm also one of the people that thinks a separate button for jumps is preferable to pushing up on a stick. I've lost countless lives on joystick controlled platformers by not getting the timing quite right or accidentally missing the right contact point inside the stick. That's probably more down to me being crap than anything else, but I find with a button, it's a lot simpler. You either press it, or you don't. Of course it's very subjective and there are loads of Amiga games that do the up to jump well, but personally, it's not the ideal.

As for Sonic the Hedgehog, I don't even consider that to be a very good platformer. Yes it looks very pretty, but takeaway it's looks and it's speed gimmick and there's not much left apart from a very bog standard game. It controls horribly at 'normal' speeds making exploration of the levels a real chore. The only time it feels right is when you're bollocking it through a level at top speed and ignoring the exploration.
Old 25 April 2009, 17:36   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The problem is the defination of a platformer game. I don't consider Flashback as an platformer, it's more like an Action Adventure. There are also too many subgenres, platformer single screen, multi-screen, scrolling screen.

The last category is probably the most popular, with games like Super Mario, Giana Sisters, Super Frog, Rayman etc. Some games use "up", some a second button. I can live with both, if the controls are accurate enough.

@Sonic

Yes, this is only a fast scrolling platformer. You cannot enjoy the gameplay. I wonder why it became so popular.
Old 25 April 2009, 17:45   #20
WhoReallyCares

yet Amiga developer tries to emulate it with 50 games like KidChaos and other fast movers.
That my point, Amiga don't win on any pure platform variation.

you want to play kidchaos or sonic? neither for me too but still sonic is better