English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate Emulation handheld?
GBA 14 38.89%
GP32 13 36.11%
/me dont know 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 March 2004, 17:59   #41
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Oh, and the ST emulation was not as good as people say...
[begin rant]

Castaway the ST emu is freaking excellent... yeah so the sound isnt 100% but I can play an absolute shiteload of great AtariST games properly... and not at 1/3 the speed.

In my opinion comparing a PDA to the GP32 is like comparing a pda to a laptop. The GP32 is a games machine and nothing more and it does its job well. The Zodiac is the system balancing on the line between PDA/Game machine.

I strongly doubt the GP32 will ever get any MAME past 84-85 working 100% let alone a smooth GBA emu... But I don't think perfect SNES and Megadrive emus are out of the question and just a matter of time... obviously they won't support everything like massive games and CD games.

[end rant]
Old 04 March 2004, 18:19   #42
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad

Nevertheless, the Zodiac still has a high reliance upon paid for emulators which is abhorrent to me. Still, judging by the exchange rate of the dollar paying £160 for a Zodiac 1 or £220 for a Zodiac 2 its beginning to become good value when you compare it to the price of a GP32 FLU at gbax.com which is £125.

Still...it would take a lot for me to jump ship especially when FromWithin here mentions the Sharp Zaurus and then theres the PSP and the next GBA on the way.
Any idea where I can buy Zodiac in the UK or must I buy from USA? Likewise.. wot is the Sharp Zaurus???
Old 04 March 2004, 18:41   #43
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
I agree. GP32 is not something special. A limitation that GP32 people fail to mention is its memory. It's not enough to emulate certain consoles/mame. Oh, and the ST emulation was not as good as people say...
Hear hear Thierry, since when do you have an informed opinion on Castaway on the GP32 ManicX? You dont even own one! Its only some of the sound thats lacking.

Id rate the emulation of platforms on the GP32 as follows:

C64: 8/10
CPC: 5/10
GBx: 8/10
GENS: 4/10
LYNX: 3/10
MSX: 8/10
NES: 8/10
PCE: 6/10
SMS|GG: 8/10
SNES: 7/10
ST: 8/10
ZXS: 7/10

Alright, not perfect but not bad nonetheless. The GP32 IS something special compared to the GBA, its nearest competitor. I have no regrets plumbing for the former over the latter.

Yer, one year on maybe Id now buy a Zodiac - but so what?
Old 04 March 2004, 18:44   #44
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Been doing some research..

Why bother with Zodiac with 200mhz CPU plus ATI graphics when most of the PocketPCs are coming with 400mhz CPUs... Surely that can make up for lacking an ATI graphics chip?

Other than a 480 * 320 screen what does Zodiac have thats so special?
Old 04 March 2004, 18:56   #45
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Why bother with Zodiac with 200mhz CPU plus ATI graphics when most of the PocketPCs are coming with 400mhz CPUs... Surely that can make up for lacking an ATI graphics chip?
What the Zodiac and GP32 have in common besides hardware similarities is they are set up for games with the joystick/joypad and buttons set up ergonimacally for games... unlike some PDA's (not all) which have the buttons in awkward places.

End of the day it all depends on what you want out of it... for some people the control system may be a consideration.
Old 04 March 2004, 20:48   #46
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Meth, if you can afford a PDA by all means get one!
Old 04 March 2004, 20:51   #47
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I had a PPC 400Mhz but it was always running flat and I only ever charged it a few times before I got bored and sold it...

I have a WindowsMobile Phone and that wont hold charge so its on its 3rd trip to Motorola for replacement.

Basically all I wanted was something I could occasionally game on and listen to MP3 old time radio on....

And no, can't really afford it...

Zodiac looks good tho... and having an ST emu would be cool cos I'd love to play Millennium 2.2 and Deut on move
Old 05 March 2004, 05:07   #48
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

woot!
Giana Sisters remake came out last night

http://www.gianas-return.de/downloads.html

Dreamcast and PC versions to follow
Old 06 March 2004, 01:46   #49
spiff
Oh noes!

I got my brother (myself a GBA.. while it can't emulate other systems.. ports of most good "16bit" makes that unnecessary. The fact that there even are some NEW nice games as well and not just the same old(emulated) makes it an even easier choice.
Old 10 March 2004, 11:47   #50
manicx

Quote:
Id rate the emulation of platforms on the GP32 as follows:

C64: 8/10
CPC: 5/10
GBx: 8/10
GENS: 4/10
LYNX: 3/10
MSX: 8/10
NES: 8/10
PCE: 6/10
SMS|GG: 8/10
SNES: 7/10
ST: 8/10
ZXS: 7/10

Alright, not perfect but not bad nonetheless. The GP32 IS something special compared to the GBA, its nearest competitor. I have no regrets plumbing for the former over the latter.
For me, getting an emulator is all about speed. I think it is ridiculous struggling with a handheld to emulate old hardware at slower speed. It's masochistic. I prefer a handheld with its own games and good support. GP32's games were disappointing. Also, the disappointing thing is that all emulators of older gandheld games are not good. It would be great to have 10/10 for all older handhelds. The reason is simple: Handheld games for Gameboy, Lynx etc were made for handhelds. Games for consoles were made for TV screens and monitors. As a result, you are missing certain aspects and most important, proper controls. Just try to play fast action games made for the ST using the GP32 joypad.

Although the GP32 is a nice piece of hardware, it has no support from the creator anymore. Production ceased a while ago. If I want something with power and emulators, I would go for a PPC or Zaurus. They have all the power and support to have 10/10 emulators. If I want a handheld console, I will go for GBA. It has excellent support and nice wee games. If I want emulators for the SNES, Megadrive etc, I will use the PC. As for the ST, I prefer my real STE.
Old 10 March 2004, 22:22   #51
Djay
95th User

i'm gonna sound very stooopid here but...

what is the Gp32?

is it released yet? (if not how can we rate it against the GBA)

i own a GBA SP Black with a 256Mb Cartridge and it rocks!!!
Old 10 March 2004, 22:32   #52
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i'm gonna sound very stooopid here but...

what is the Gp32?

is it released yet? (if not how can we rate it against the GBA)

i own a GBA SP Black with a 256Mb Cartridge and it rocks!!!
www.google.com

Yes it is out, roughly £120.
Old 10 March 2004, 22:42   #53
Djay
95th User

ok...

anyone got one?
Old 11 March 2004, 16:22   #54
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Yes Djay I own one. And im probably the nearest GP32 owner to your good self.

Oh and ManicX, once again I dispute your "insights" on the GP32..you dont own one and are unaware that the emulators arent all slow.

And frankly, I didnt buy the GP32 for modern shite games. If i wanted that crap Id get a stupid GBA.

And whats this bull about not being able to play games not designed for a handheld device? Again - have you any experience to draw from? No, as always its you having your own little opinion which isnt based on facts but your imagination.

And your harping on about production ceasing for the GP32 and no support from the creator...hmmm....sound familiar? Thats funny, and yet were all here still talking about a machine which stopped being made 10 years ago ffs!!!

Oh and have you seen the price of PPCs and a Zaurus? The GP32 is much cheaper. Were not all moneybags you know...

And if you prefer your PC and ST fine, but id like to see you try to play them on the move...

Last edited by Antiriad; 11 March 2004 at 16:44.
Old 11 March 2004, 22:04   #55
Bobsonsirjonny

In my haste.. I accidently selected GBA.

Trust me - GP32 rocks. Better than GBA in so many ways. The community is fantastic - like the Amiga community used to be. Dev is too a penny.

The machine may be limited by 8mb on board which prevents some emulators from working at their best - eg 8mb prevents roms from being fully loaded in - but you can solve this with the 32mb hack.

Plus there is ample home brew dev - and native software. Origional titles which are great such as tomak saves the earth again.

Emulation is its biggest draw. Thankfully the GP32 has a flashible ROM - which has space for lots of different firmwears. A GBA emulator was thought impossible at full speed due to the GP32's own overheads. But one clever chap is in the process of writing a firmwear that enables you (much like the amigas early start up control) to reboot your GP32 into a GBA mode - thus freeing overheads and opening the GP32 upto GBA :-)

If you are going to buy one - go for a FLU unit, so you can play at night. GP32 standard unlit is more visible than GBA origional unlit anyway.

Old 12 March 2004, 09:06   #56
manicx

Quote:
And whats this bull about not being able to play games not designed for a handheld device? Again - have you any experience to draw from? No, as always its you having your own little opinion which isnt based on facts but your imagination.
I had the chance to use a GP32 2 weeks after its release in Asia. A game that is not designed for a handheld is a game that need a Joystick to play it. Try to play sensible Soccer or Kick Off 2 in a handheld. Yes you can play certain games but when controls have to be fast and accurate, the GP32 pad is not good. Mind you that many conversions from the Atari/Amiga to the handhelds had different implementations in the controls in order to be playable.

Quote:
And your harping on about production ceasing for the GP32 and no support from the creator...hmmm....sound familiar? Thats funny, and yet were all here still talking about a machine which stopped being made 10 years ago ffs!!!
No it's not familiar. Commodore built a great market and a great legacy for their machines. The GP32 died sortly after its release. It's not the same and the market dynamics are completely different. If you want to compare the GP32 with a familiar market choose this of the Sam Coupe.

Quote:
Oh and have you seen the price of PPCs and a Zaurus? The GP32 is much cheaper. Were not all moneybags you know...
Each one of us gets something for his taste. The Zaurus or PPCs are best value for money nonetheless.

Quote:
And if you prefer your PC and ST fine, but id like to see you try to play them on the move...
Well, if I want something on the move, I will get a Zaurus (just need to be patient for another couple of months ). Linux in your palm...
Old 12 March 2004, 10:04   #57
Bobsonsirjonny

The GP32 isnt dead and even if it did "die" it would linger on as we are - already ppl are making mods etc.. Furthermore Gamepark's parent company is kinda big as well.. for a clue as to who they may be have a look inside one

Gamepark have kinda been annexed a little - and told to get on with it. They were started as basically a pet project by some exec.. and it just took off. Gamepark need more pennies though to push it further afield.. one fears the parent company is loosing interest. A great product spoilt by mis-management.. where have we seen that before?

I for one quite like the control, its microswitched, and due to its "sticky out" design can be controlled with the same fluidity as a joy stick - that is to say you dont have to take your thumb off it when moveing it.

Playing Speedball 2 through caSTaway is great!

[edit ---- adding link to pic of GP32 so you can see the microswitched control pad. http://www.gbax.com/gp32pics.html ]

Old 12 March 2004, 10:07   #58
Bobsonsirjonny

And a Lunix kernal has been built for the GP32.... though a fully functional linux desktop environment, even i concede may be a little out of its reach...

Old 12 March 2004, 11:15   #59
Big-Byte
Long time member

I see from www.retrogames.com news that Nintendo have now got a patent on 'emulation' of its systems and are now starting to go after anyone who is emulating thier systems.. starting with the guy who wrote the first commercia GBA emulator for the Zodiac Tapwave. I shouldnt think that it would make much difference to the emulation scene. Only those people who sell their emulators for profit will be affected - buts its worrying news all the same.
Old 13 March 2004, 17:18   #60
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Yes, its very interesting news Big-Byte. I can understand them pursuing GBA emus as thats still a commercialy viable platform. But the GBx part looks worrisome...

That and those idiots at Crimson Fire were charging for their emu. They deserved it for that alone.

I believe you should not emulate commerically viable platforms - only redundant ones...and NEVER charge for them. That only justifies the lawyers...