English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 September 2010, 17:49   #101
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Your beautifull I love you -What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
Old 21 September 2010, 17:55   #102
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Your beautifull I love you -What I was saying is emulators cant do smoothing scrolling, you have no argument.
I see the words, but their meaning eludes me. Help me out here.
Old 21 September 2010, 18:22   #103
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggot View Post
How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga?
so more colors used = better? if gods is a masterpiece as for anything it is gfx imho.
ugly sprites... I thought thats the issue of Lionheart!
Old 21 September 2010, 18:27   #104
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
ugly sprites... I thought thats the issue of Lionheart!

Agreed.

He may have the heart of a lion, but he has the body of a badly drawn woman.
Old 21 September 2010, 18:48   #105
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome to the interwebs Raggot btw. Good luck on your mission!
Seriously, you blame people for being irrelevant? Had a good chuckle
Old 21 September 2010, 18:48   #106
switchblade

@Raggot

HERPY DERP GODS SUCKS CUZ IT HAS SHITE SCROLLING

Did I get that right? Does it really matter THAT MUCH to you if a game sucks because of slow scrolling graphics? I've played DOS platformers that have worse scrolling than Gods does (Commander Keen for example), but I still enjoy playing both Commander Keen and Gods.
Old 21 September 2010, 19:43   #107
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Welcome to the interwebs Raggot btw. Good luck on your mission!
Seriously, you blame people for being irrelevant? Had a good chuckle
That's actually why I asked the question about using an emulator.
His posts had a "feel" as tho they are coming from someone who only uses an emulator.

Funny, I'm in the USA and I have 2 Amigas.. They really aren't that hard to come by...

desiv
Old 21 September 2010, 20:24   #108
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
so more colors used = better?
No, but fewer colors used = not "the best". In fact, I've seen 16-color games that look better than Gods, like Shadow of the Beast II and Brian the Lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
He may have the heart of a lion, but he has the body of a badly drawn woman.
That's not true! He has the body of a badly-drawn gimp!

Joking aside, I think that Lionheart looks better than Gods (and most other Amiga games) in just about every other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
@Raggot

HERPY DERP GODS SUCKS CUZ IT HAS SHITE SCROLLING

Did I get that right? Does it really matter THAT MUCH to you if a game sucks because of slow scrolling graphics? I've played DOS platformers that have worse scrolling than Gods does (Commander Keen for example), but I still enjoy playing both Commander Keen and Gods.
LEARN TO READ. Maybe you missed this?

Quote:
(I'm not saying, by the way, that Gods is bad because of its scrolling. I forgive both games like you forgive Gods. It takes something like Zool for me to say that the scrolling makes it "a pain to play".)
Notice that I put Ruff 'n' Tumble, bad scrolling and all, at number 5 on my top ten list. I dislike Gods because of the awful controls, cheap hits, and annoying item interface.

I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't. If you have a problem with my posts, fine, but don't invent stuff like "Raggot says that Gods is badly-programmed, he thinks that it's a worthless game!" or "Raggot says that Gods's scrolling could be a lot better, he thinks that the scrolling makes it terrible!" "Raggot said stuff about emulators, emulators can't scroll!" Give me a break, people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Funny, I'm in the USA and I have 2 Amigas.. They really aren't that hard to come by...
Maybe for you, but I searched for them on eBay three times and found nothing but power supplies and keyboards. And an old 1000, but it was $400. No thanks.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 20:38.
Old 21 September 2010, 20:33   #109
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't.

ahh the interwebs =)
Old 21 September 2010, 20:36   #110
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't. If you have a problem with my posts, fine, but don't invent stuff like "Raggot says that Gods is badly-programmed, he thinks that it's a worthless game!" or "Raggot says that Gods's scrolling could be a lot better, he thinks that the scrolling makes it terrible!" "Raggot said stuff about emulators, emulators can't scroll!" Give me a break, people. What's next?
Nah, you just tell people that they're wrong, because they don't share your point of view. Read Zetr0's post above
Old 21 September 2010, 20:41   #111
desiv

Quote:
Maybe for you, but I searched for them on eBay three times and found nothing but power supplies and keyboards. And an old 1000, but it was $400. No thanks.
So, when you use the word "searched".. By that you meant???

-----------

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-A500-compu...item335fc849ee

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-500-100-op...item3f03454409

http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-Amiga-...item4152e9bfd8

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-1200-6mb-2...item3f03163afc

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-1200-2mb-r...item230a2d139b
Old 21 September 2010, 20:43   #112
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Where's my ROFL smiley when I need it?
Old 21 September 2010, 20:54   #113
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
So, when you use the word "searched".. By that you meant???
I typed in "Amiga" and "500" as my query in the computer department. I already told you what I found. I had a similar experience looking for an Atari 800. I guess that I was just profoundly unlucky, it was ages ago. I'll probably be buying an Amiga sometime soon.

Quote:
Nah, you just tell people that they're wrong, because they don't share your point of view. Read Zetr0's post above
The idea that slow scrolling has to be choppy or that Gods has smoother animation than Leander isn't a matter of my "point of view". It's objectively wrong. And I'm sure that I, of all people, can tell people that they're wrong when they say that I called Gods's graphics "worthless" and that I hate it because of its scrolling.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 21:01.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:03   #114
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

As a point to mention -

As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -

Hmmm I wonder why?

I dont think it would be a technical aspect - after all Mike Montgomery pretty much wrote every thing (in-house) - so come 92' I am sure he would of had the skills to a very sucessfull sequel.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:08   #115
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
The animation is "the best on the Amiga"?! Really? What about Leander, Flashback, Benefactor, Lionheart, the Shadow of the Beast sequels--honestly, Gods has some of the cheapest animation that I've seen. I've seen better on the NES.

Tell that to Lionheart. How can a game with ugly character proportions, a 16-color palette, and choppy movement have the best graphics on the Amiga? Have you even played another Amiga game?
Yep, can only see hard scientific facts from you there
It's about taste, so any discussion is pointless. The fact that people don't mind choppy scrolling doesn't make your 'point' (whatever it is) any more vaild.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:16   #116
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
As far as I am aware GOD's sold quite well for the BitMap Bros. - they followed up most of their games with a sequel but not GOD's -
Hmmm I wonder why?
I think I can see where you're going with this Zetr0.

You feel that Gods was so close to perfect, that even they realized they couldn't improve on it...

Seriously, that is a good question... Considering the almost guaranteed fanbase/initial purchase even if it was really bad, it makes no sense that they wouldn't have made a sequel.

I see that "Steve Tall" was also listed for design and code, and that he didn't do too much else; nothing else I can see after that... Although, even if they had all new staff, seems they would have wanted to write a sequel...

desiv
Old 21 September 2010, 21:24   #117
Jgames

Quote:
I dislike Gods because of the awful controls, cheap hits
If there is game where you don't suffer cheap random hits, it's Gods.
Gods is all about strategy and thinking, and that's why the game is great.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:27   #118
Raggot
Unfortunate Gerbil

Quote:
Yep, can only see hard scientific facts from you there
Gods is technically deficient, so it can't be the best. (I'm not saying that an Amiga game needs backgrounds like Lionheart or scrolling like Kid Chaos for that to be the case, but it should at least look like it's on the Amiga.) Gods also has very noticeably coarser animation than the games that I mentioned in comparision.

Quote:
The fact that people don't mind choppy scrolling doesn't make your 'point' (whatever it is) any more vaild.
Whether or not people mind the scrolling doesn't change the fact that it's choppy. But that was never my point to begin with! I only mentioned its scrolling in passing! Then a few people jumped on that with "It's only choppy because that's the only way to do slow scrolling!" and "It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!" (never mind that Retro-Nerd sees what I'm talking about on his Amiga), and I had to defend what I said. Because I was defending a claim about Gods's scrolling, that OBVIOUSLY means that it was my main point the whole time, and might as well define the game as far as I'm concerned. Who cares what I actually said or think?

tl;dr: What you're calling my "point" was never anything like a point to begin with. Again, you guys can't seem to figure out how to not put words into my mouth.

Last edited by Raggot; 21 September 2010 at 21:36.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:31   #119
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Gods is technically deficient, so it can't be the best. Gods also has very noticeably coarser animation than the games that I mentioned in comparision.
Did you count the animation frames? Please share the results.

Quote:
"It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!"
Please quote the message where people posted that (and prove that you don't use the same methods you blamed other people for).

Quote:
and I had to defend what I said.
Maybe you learn one day that it's a futile effort to try that.
Old 21 September 2010, 21:36   #120
desiv

Quote:
"It's only choppy because that's the only way to do slow scrolling!"
"It's actually really smooth, you're just not seeing that because you're using an emulator!"
Now, I know you are BIG into not misquoting and twisting peoples words...
I believe you said:
Quote:
I didn't join this forum and post this thread so people could make things up that I didn't say and twist my words into what they aren't.
But I can't find those "actual" quotes you used above...

Hmmmm.....

desiv
TCD beat me to the point of clarification needed... ;-)