English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 12 October 2013, 22:00   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
Well, after a while I did eventually install 2009 and Premier Edition 2013 upgrade. So why do I see the install as Plus Edition?
There is no difference between the Plus and Premium Editions as far as the emulation environment is concerned. That is why the download version you are offered immediately upon making payment is the Plus Edition, which gets you up and running staightaway.

The difference between the Plus and Premium Editions is the inclusion of a DVD with the Premium Edition which contains archive video footage from the history of Commodore and the Amiga computer plus a few more games, IIRC.

Last edited by prowler; 13 October 2013 at 20:49. Reason: typo
Old 13 October 2013, 00:52   #22
shovel

Thanks Prowler. Think I understand now. Just got to find out where I can download games now, but that's for another area than this one. I hate hijacking my own thread lol.
Old 20 October 2013, 18:15   #23
shovel

To continue this saga I'm now having problems with running ADF files. I have no problem with RP9 but it somehow can't recognise a second disk for ADF. It loads with 1 disk but then hangs and I don't know how to insert disc 2. Anyone help on this please?
Old 20 October 2013, 18:27   #24
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Shovel, hope this helps.....

Last edited by Arnie; 20 December 2013 at 22:51.
Old 20 October 2013, 20:03   #25
shovel

I think I tried that Arnie. Other problem is before game even starts is to what I am trying to use. Mouse or joystick. The joystick light pops up when I press a button but the mouse should be in use pre-game to select whatever the screen projects at me so that I can configure what I will be using. After I had selected Joystick the mouse was still operative in the setup and the HD was clicking away, which was for disc 1. The problem came when I needed disk 2, and couldn't find a way of executing. As I said, I think I selected the from file when prompted but it was quite a waste of time. I do wish all games were RP9.

Just so you know my installs I have(Of course) AF Premium. Then yesterday I was contemplating whether to install WINUAE, but I kept thinking that I already had it installed through AF. Then I downloaded AmiKit and AmigaSYS. I have asked but no response as yet as to whether this was a good move on my part. See my post under Support WINUAE.
Old 20 October 2013, 21:02   #26
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

What game are you trying to load?
Old 20 October 2013, 21:43   #27
shovel

I decided not to go crazy because of the difficulty of finding games that would actually download and play. So far I have only successfully downloaded Cannon Fodder RP9. As I said, I won't go crazy just play the games that held me for hours some 17 years ago. Games I have had problems with are Sensible Soccer( all versions) F/A 18 Interceptor and most of all A320 Airbus. I know a lot of people have put the sim down a lot because of the boredom, but I LOVED IT. So what do I do Arnie. The files I have tried are either ADF. ECS/OCS. RP9 is my first choice but they are very few and far between.
Old 21 October 2013, 12:58   #28
DH
Global Moderator

Try running WinUAE independant of AF, Tools/Launch Plugin/WinUAE

Then try adding the adf files in WinUAE and see what happens.

EDIT: Hmm, just tried this myself, and it won't load from disk 2 either. Strange :s Gonna update WinUAE in AF and try again as it's using an old version (2.5.1)

Last edited by DH; 21 October 2013 at 13:23.
Old 21 October 2013, 13:36   #29
shovel

Thanks DH. Keep me informed. That was my plan to install WINUAE too, but I thought AF had all that I needed. Not all download sites have RP9, or none at all with my searching. That would eliminate the running problems.

I did read above in the Newbie section that ADF won't run games.

I was about to quote what the poster said but now I think it was referring to ADF games being played on the Amiga hard drive and it wouldn't work.
Old 21 October 2013, 13:48   #30
DH
Global Moderator

Well, I have updated WinUAE to 2.6.1 and the problem is still there, it's obviously an AF config problem, because I use WinUAE 2.6.1 with a different config, elsewhere on my PC and both drives operate OK, it seems to be when you run WinUAE through AF that the problem exists.

Download the latest WinUAE and install it somewhere else on your HDD, then you should be ok running adf's and be able to use DF1: upwards.

I stopped using AF a long time ago because of glitches etc, but never realised this major glitch was present. I am sure there's an easy fix for it, but I'm not going to search it out, as I just don't use it any more
Old 21 October 2013, 18:19   #31
shovel

Well failing the us of ADFs just what WILL work apart from RP9 of which there is only 1 site that has them and no other site does. All I find is ECS and OCS files so how do I work around those? Any sites you recommend?
Old 21 October 2013, 19:00   #32
DH
Global Moderator

Almost everything can be sourced from the EAB file server, just follow these instructions in post #1 here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ab+file+server using an ftp client like filezilla, which is free and can be dowloaded here https://filezilla-project.org/

If you'd prefer to continue using AF with RP9's you can actually create your own using the files you grab from the server.

With FIlezilla look under in the TOSEC folder, then the appropriate folder from then on. There are other places but this is by far the best and safest place to get what you need.
Old 21 October 2013, 19:01   #33
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You can make your own RP9's, I have made a few myself. If you let me know what games you would like in RP9 format then I'll try a few out to see if they work.

I'm going to try

Sensible Soccer
F/A 18 Interceptor
A320 Airbus

Arnie.

Edit: Try these......

Airbus RP9
FA 18 Interceptor RP9
Sensible Soccer
(mods, Please delete If this breaks any rules)

Last edited by Arnie; 20 December 2013 at 22:51.
Old 21 October 2013, 19:19   #34
shovel

Those are the ones I need Arnie(At the present). I would like to know the low down on how to make my own RP9 formats.

I have no Amiga games as I gave ALL my Amiga gear including 3 box full of games to charity. So it's just a memory now and it is slightly saddening. Nevertheless, I am planning to visit the shop to see if I can snatch(lol) back some of the games with manuals I need, especially A320, and that dreaded computer wheel for F/A 18 Interceptor. So if I would require the games to make RP9s then that could mean a lot more bartering. Plus I have no Ami 500 gear and monitor.
Old 21 October 2013, 19:22   #35
DH
Global Moderator

Read my post above #32 for getting the games & HOL is your friend too http://hol.abime.net/3173/manual << A320 manual

Codewheel for F/A 18 Interceptor http://hol.abime.net/469/miscshot Print and join together in the correct order
Old 21 October 2013, 19:30   #36
shovel

That's way above my head DH, as I'm not technically savvy at this sort of stuff. I want it simple, like me lol. I did however manage to download the manual for A320, but the most important missing items are the flight plans. At least my version is in English. I also got the F/A 18 manual and wheel diagram so if I can't barter my way through obtaining the boxes then I can always make my own wheel.

Did you slip that last bit in about the wheel after I replied to your post DH? I haven't got a printer that's workable at the moment. Haven't used it in 15 years when I had Win 98.

HOL! Is that just a database or can you download the games as well? I've tried but can't get anything except the HTML. At least I know that AF supports ECS/OCS. I was told to do a search at the AF box. It shows a few results. I was told either select the file and drop it into the AF player(Didn't work). Or press the play button. Works for some but not all.

Sorry!

Last edited by shovel; 21 October 2013 at 20:08. Reason: Merging 3 posts together
Old 21 October 2013, 19:52   #37
DH
Global Moderator

FileZilla is relatively simple to use, bit like a browser, left side = destination on your comp, right side = source, the only hard bit is adding the necessary info required to access an ftp site.

Yes, I did edit my post, probably before you replied, but during your post creation

HOL is just a database, oh, and try to edit previous posts too, instead of producing another post one after the other I have merged your posts for you
Old 21 October 2013, 20:11   #38
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

RP9's added to post#33
Old 21 October 2013, 21:29   #39
shovel

Thanks Arnie. I'm a pain in the proverbial. I haven't got a rar program, although I thought I had with Windows 7 as a default. I think I have to pay for it, because I went to another so called free download and had an AVG warning. Quickly uninstalled it. Any ideas what to use?
Old 21 October 2013, 21:35   #40
DH
Global Moderator

7-zip will do http://7zip.co.uk/?gclid=COSA7IvWqLoCFbLHtAodXwQAHQ