English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 September 2017, 19:43   #1
IvanEBC

Amiga Explorer over TCP/IP

Hiya Guys. Its been a few years since this has been addressed and i've read all the threads here and tried all the solutions.

Amiga/4000 with AmiTCP v3 with x-surf Ethernet
Windows 10 with Amiga Explorer

Machines have been transferring via Serial Cable no issues
Machines can ping each other (I'm not new to networking and have a DHCP servers thats locked the machines to a permanent IP)
A4000 happily works on the internet.

4000 loads and says "TCP/IP" for its connection.

now the extra stuff i read was to edit the db/inet.access
The whole file had never been touched and every single line had a ; at the start
so i added the ONLY line
356 10.0.1.* allow [LOG]

BUT once this line has been added, amitcp will no longer load and give me all these errors starting with the "AMITCP/IP version 3 must be started first", so i have to ";" out the line.

I have made sure to run Aexplorer AFTER starting easynet.

PC Side i added a firewall rule for both incoming and outgoing to allow port 356 to allow traffic.

Only thing i can POSSIBLY think of it Amiga Explorer isn't supported by Amitcp v3? Can anyone verify this? While i know some replies might be, use Miami or Genesis, i'm happy enough with AmiTCP even if it is an older version.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 22 September 2017, 20:26   #2
Sinphaltimus

This maynot be helpful to you at all except to know that I have not had great success with AExplorer over TCP/IP. for small files yes but anything 1-2 MB or larger, it always times out. I have an A500 with Vampire and SDNet using RoadShow.

One thing you might want to check, make sure your password for Amiga Explorer is the same on the Amiga and the PC.

One the Amiga right click the icon and select information - you'll see the password in there. Also check the connection type is not serial.device and isntead your TCPIP.device. On the PC do the same except schoose properties of course (make sure it is set to TCP/IP) and type the PW in appropriate place.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:08   #3
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
Only thing i can POSSIBLY think of it Amiga Explorer isn't supported by Amitcp v3? Can anyone verify this? While i know some replies might be, use Miami or Genesis, i'm happy enough with AmiTCP even if it is an older version.
The requirements says “AmiTCP 4.x or higher”.
Old 23 September 2017, 13:45   #4
IvanEBC

Yeah all that's been done and even written int he OP, i made the password a dead simple 4 numbers so there wasn't any real chance of screwing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
This maynot be helpful to you at all except to know that I have not had great success with AExplorer over TCP/IP. for small files yes but anything 1-2 MB or larger, it always times out. I have an A500 with Vampire and SDNet using RoadShow.

One thing you might want to check, make sure your password for Amiga Explorer is the same on the Amiga and the PC.

One the Amiga right click the icon and select information - you'll see the password in there. Also check the connection type is not serial.device and isntead your TCPIP.device. On the PC do the same except schoose properties of course (make sure it is set to TCP/IP) and type the PW in appropriate place.
Old 23 September 2017, 13:51   #5
IvanEBC

Actually .. it doesn't really..... it says that for example, amitcp has a bsdsockert.library along with genesis and miami, and since amitcp 3 uses bsdsocket library as well, it should be compatible. It certainly doesn't say that you need a mim of amitcp v4, that's just their example suggestion, likely based on that being the current version.

Unfortunately, despite Amigakit being the official distributors since 2013 of a product made in 1994, and me purchasing two different networking items that both get supplied with software, on both occasions, they supply me with an even older outdated v3 and expected to pay for the "1994 version" now ... a tad frustrating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
The requirements says “AmiTCP 4.x or higher”.
Old 23 September 2017, 17:28   #6
patrik

As the AmiTCP team were the creators of the bsdsocket.library API, it’s version followed the AmiTCP version. So AmiTCP 4 equals bsdsocket.library v4.

The rest of the TCP/IP stacks on the Amiga were released after AmiTCP 4 and did therefore make their implementation compatible with the v4 bsdsocket.library API.

A bunch of features were added with v4, so if they say “AmiTCP 4.x or higher”, it is not unreasonable to assume that they mean that bsdsocket.library v4 is required.
Old 23 September 2017, 20:35   #7
McTrinsic

I also have issues with AExplorer and Roadshow. I might get the drives to show in the Explorer in Windows. No transfers, though.
Old 24 September 2017, 06:45   #8
IvanEBC

Patrik - true, i do get what the site is saying, left kinda left the door slightly open for interpretation.

Either way, i've made queries to Amigakit to purchase an upgrade to AmiTCP 4 since i wasn't aware that it was something i was going to need, and even if AE still kicks up a fuss, i assume i'll get a better performing product.

Worst case scenario, i'll just have to run Serv-U on the PC and share flies like that i guess..... not as perfectly ideal, but might be better than AE.
Old 24 September 2017, 13:58   #9
Sinphaltimus

I ended up using AmiFTP FWIW.
Old 24 September 2017, 14:52   #10
ptyerman

No idea about AmiTCP but AE works fine with MiamiDX, I use it frequently. Could it be a ports problem or similar? Not opening the correct port or something? Maybe it could be done manually if so.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:52   #11
IvanEBC

Very likely since my post says that when i open the ports according the instructions, amitcp no longer works, but maybe that's cause they are for amitcp 4 instructions.

I'm looking at purchasing easynet pro that comes with amitcp 4 in the hopes of solving.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
No idea about AmiTCP but AE works fine with MiamiDX, I use it frequently. Could it be a ports problem or similar? Not opening the correct port or something? Maybe it could be done manually if so.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:55   #12
IvanEBC

Yes, i actually got very close to this solution, the shares are working on my windows 10 machine, it wasn't ideal but i could make it work... except.

Its the only FTP client i've ever seen that only shows a SINGLE window, the info i want to share goes back and forth and would be fine if i only grabbed files. I checked out Amitradecenter and another one (forgot the name) that both had dual window for easier back and forth transfer but for whatever reason, they could connect to my PC but the directories were empty, only AmiFTP would show my actual files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I ended up using AmiFTP FWIW.
Old 25 September 2017, 19:57   #13
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I'm looking at purchasing easynet pro that comes with amitcp 4 in the hopes of solving.....
Did you try RoadShow? It's very good and I think there is a demo available.
Old 26 September 2017, 06:20   #14
IvanEBC

I hadn't.
No GUI isn't a killer, but its nice to have.
Also 25E compared to 5E (Upgrade cost since i have amitcp3)
For mostly people say roadshow and amitcp are on par, roadshow maybe having the edge, but for me, having the fastest isn't really the priority here, its just about creating a stable connection between my amiga and PC. I don't even mind the slow serial transfers if it wasn't for the timeouts.
That's why i'm researching the TCP method via Ethernet now and now serial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Did you try RoadShow? It's very good and I think there is a demo available.
Old 26 September 2017, 11:35   #15
McTrinsic

Roadshows doesn't work for me. The firewall on my PC is completely disabled.
Old 26 September 2017, 11:36   #16
McTrinsic

By the way I looked into AmiTCP but didn't find a bsdsocket.library on the install disks.
Doesn't it have one?
Old 26 September 2017, 11:41   #17
patrik

AmiTCP creates bsdsocket.library in memory when it’s running. Roadshow is the only TCP/IP stack which has it the other way around - first OpenLibrary() of bsdsocket.library starts Roadshow.
Old 26 September 2017, 15:36   #18
McTrinsic

Can you get it out of the memory, i.e. dump it?
Old 26 September 2017, 17:46   #19
patrik

Not really, in that case it is basically just a list of function pointers to the AmiTCP process running.
Old 27 September 2017, 07:03   #20
IvanEBC

Just wanted to let you know.... while i wait for AmiTCP 4 to arrive, and with what i just did, i no longer need it amitcp4, but hey, i'll upgrade it anyways, but with AmiTCP v3 / AmiTradeCenter and Filezilla Server on the PC, i just transferred a 30mb file in less than a minute.
I'm used to Amiga Explorer taking 4-5 minutes over null modem for a SINGLE meg. So completely night and day here. Thanks to everyone for their comments and feel fee to continue to discuss this is you feel like it

So i won't be taking this route anymore.