English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 January 2015, 08:12   #41
mc6809e

I noticed while running the visual debugger that a DMA slot that should typically be available to the CPU/blitter now appears to be unavailable.

The unavailable slot appears to be an extra bitplane one fetch slot and it occurs on any scanline that has bitplane fetches though it doesn't appear to actually be used for bitplane fetch. It is an all together empty DMA slot.

The configuration is A500 cycle exact.
Old 22 January 2015, 19:46   #42
rbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Required information (without getting "works for me" reply): winuaelog.txt, config file and better description than "does not work".

EDIT: and which version of OS3.9? No patches? BB1? 2? Something more?
Only beta 1 boot, same config, same installed OS39 with bb1, bb2, bb3 and bb4. All betas before stuck on the kickstart screen.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog(b1).txt (10.1 KB, 257 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog(b5).txt (10.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog(b1).txt (25.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog(b5).txt (8.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 22 January 2015, 20:24   #43
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
I noticed while running the visual debugger that a DMA slot that should typically be available to the CPU/blitter now appears to be unavailable.
Side-effect of bitplane updates, fixed in next beta. (thanks for noticing, for some reason I missed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
Only beta 1 boot, same config, same installed OS39 with bb1, bb2, bb3 and bb4. All betas before stuck on the kickstart screen.
You have GVP without ROM which seems to break autoconfig, will be fixed. (btw, why so strange configuration?)

100% nothing to do with directory harddrives. Nothing bootable would not have worked.
Old 23 January 2015, 18:42   #44
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_3100b6.zip

Beta 6:

- b5 input device update fix, changing to any keyboard layout didn't reset "remembered" device name.
- Cycle at DDFSTRT-1 was sometimes incorrectly unavailable for blitter. (b5)
- In some rare situations blitter stole cycle(s) from copper.
- Pre-calculated end position of scanline was incorrect in some situations causing incorrect bitplane vs other DMA cycle allocation (b5)
- If RawInput didn't find any game controller HID devices and command line didn't have any forced HID parameters, always try again when new device is inserted instead of disabling HID support completely and falling back to DirectInput. RawInput and DirectInput device identifiers are different and wrong device may have been selected in some situations.
- Master volume is now real master volume control. Paula, CD and AHI are sub-volume controls.
- Toccata Paula (AUX2 input) volume control implemented. Not tested.
- GVP SCSI without ROM didn't set any autoconfig data.
- Fastlane (and possibly some other Z3 SCSI boards) didn't autoconfigure if Z3 autoconfig space was disabled.
Old 24 January 2015, 16:33   #45
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
- Master volume is now real master volume control. Paula, CD and AHI are sub-volume controls.
- Toccata Paula (AUX2 input) volume control implemented. Not tested.
Great - tested and works.Just fired up a paula player and moved the aux2 slider in prefs. Any chance we will see that for CD volume on aux1 audio,too?

And I want to mention that if you listen to a mod in Delitracker and start/quit OctamedSS at the same time, the audio is muted.
Both programs are set to use Toccata directly. I did not load or play any sound in OctamedSS. If I select a Paula noteplayer in DT and go back to Toccata it starts playing sound again.

Is that a normal behavior of octamed to mute on quit or a flaw in the emulation of the soundcard?
Old 24 January 2015, 18:05   #46
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Great - tested and works.Just fired up a paula player and moved the aux2 slider in prefs. Any chance we will see that for CD volume on aux1 audio,too?
Will be done. I wasn't sure if it is Line-in or AUX1 that should be used.

Quote:
Is that a normal behavior of octamed to mute on quit or a flaw in the emulation of the soundcard?
I don't know. I don't have real Toccata. It probably is correct, program most likely resets all input volume registers when it quits. (Probably assumes it is the only program using it)
Old 25 January 2015, 11:28   #47
CAPTIVE_AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVH_2009 View Post
Thanks Toni to your great job here.
Time to donate again and again ...

Still there are some other friend of WinUAE shouldt do the same!
Hi Tony, thanks for your hard work on it! Why don't add (on your website too) bitcoin as payment? it would be nice for me to donate something!

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

Old 25 January 2015, 11:52   #48
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Aye, WinUAE is perfect these days and Toni seems to find ways to improve on perfection.

Toccata is a nice addition, working well under OS4.1 FE.
Old 25 January 2015, 13:08   #49
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Aye, WinUAE is perfect these days and Toni seems to find ways to improve on perfection.

Toccata is a nice addition, working well under OS4.1 FE.
WinUAE is never perfect, otherwise we wouldn't have all these betas

Not that I'm complaining, it makes for good news
Old 25 January 2015, 18:54   #50
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
WinUAE is never perfect, otherwise we wouldn't have all these betas

Not that I'm complaining, it makes for good news
Given Toni's excellence, I suppose WinUAE will be soon perfect . The core, I mean.
Then it will be always open to new features.
Old 26 January 2015, 10:24   #51
Ian
Global Moderator

I think only Bernd Schmidt has done more for us than Toni, but I hope he continues, there's not a lot wrong with WinUAE from a users prospective, but I'm sure from Toni's there's a hell of a lot left to do/fix up.

Quote:
- If RawInput didn't find any game controller HID devices and command line didn't have any forced HID parameters, always try again when new device is inserted instead of disabling HID support completely and falling back to DirectInput. RawInput and DirectInput device identifiers are different and wrong device may have been selected in some situations.
Is this to fix the windows 10 problem? If so it doesn't work for me.
Old 26 January 2015, 11:31   #52
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I think only Bernd Schmidt has done more for us than Toni, but I hope he continues, there's not a lot wrong with WinUAE from a users prospective, but I'm sure from Toni's there's a hell of a lot left to do/fix up.
Bernd and few others. Doing something complex from scratch is always very big task.

Quote:
Is this to fix the windows 10 problem? If so it doesn't work for me.
Fix does not exist. Microsoft needs to fix it or update documentation (if something has changed, but I don't think so, MS never breaks backwards compatibility unless there are security reasons.) WinUAE does everything as latest documentation says, enumeration and registeration succeeds, but all actual events are missing. Failing enumeration or registeration would have automatically forced winuae to fallback to directinput mode.

It probably is Windows bug, game controller "raw hid" rawinput mode is very rarely used. I'll need to check if other kind of usb devices (like drawing tables) also fails to report any raw events in Windows 10.

But I am now back to 8.1, Microsoft or Nvidia first needs to fix guaranteed total system hang when running most games. (My hardware config is not that common, GTX980 SLI + 3 display portrait nvidia surround, 100Hz refresh rate with lightboost. Previous Windows 10 build did work fine but I also didn't have 980s yet, only 680s and old version had another bad bug, quitting any vmware vm = instant hang)
Old 26 January 2015, 14:20   #53
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Will be done. I wasn't sure if it is Line-in or AUX1 that should be used.

Awesome.And does it really matter?
Maybe, aux1 would be the better choice for CD volume just in case you plan to implement a path-thru of the host soundcards line-in/mic, at some point in the future.
Old 26 January 2015, 18:14   #54
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post

Awesome.And does it really matter?
Maybe, aux1 would be the better choice for CD volume just in case you plan to implement a path-thru of the host soundcards line-in/mic, at some point in the future.
Connection needs to be same as is/was used in real world. Not some strange method that would technically work but would require weird cables or adapters.
Old 30 January 2015, 04:26   #55
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Great thread...brings back memories of my first hard drive...a GVP scsi 40MB drive I paid $500 for... And that was considered "inexpensive" at the time...I got the drive a short while before C= released the Fast File System for hard drives--and man, I had to use FAT...Amiga FAT on my HD...!!! It was a train wreck--constantly serving up read/write errors...but...that all stopped very suddenly after formatting with FFS...! What a Godsend that was in those days...

C= was ~15+ years ahead of anyone else in those days...I was doing stuff with program modules that I *still* have trouble with today with Win8.1/10, much as I like Win10 currently...(Mainly for its backwards compatibility.) Such a pity that Mehdi Ali turned out to be so asinine...C= never really knew what it had...
Old 30 January 2015, 15:12   #56
mark_k

Quote:
Beta 4:
- Added name to UAE Boot ROM DiagArea. (May be visible in some system info/diagnostics software)
This is probably more likely to be a bug in GVPInfo than WinUAE, but see the attached screenshot. GVPInfo shows board 2011/82 as UAJ followed by two garbage characters. With beta 3 and earlier it shows 0 there. (Are the J and following characters a 68000 opcode?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gvpinfo.png
Views:	536
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	43080  
Old 30 January 2015, 15:23   #57
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
This is probably more likely to be a bug in GVPInfo than WinUAE, but see the attached screenshot. GVPInfo shows board 2011/82 as UAJ followed by two garbage characters. With beta 3 and earlier it shows 0 there. (Are the J and following characters a 68000 opcode?)
Check what UAE debugger Te command says. If it shows non-corrupt UAE string, it is program bug.
Old 01 February 2015, 16:06   #58
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_3100b7.zip

Beta 7:

- Fixed infinite recursion (and stack overflow) when pause when uncaptered is enabled and display mode changes.
- Added AlfaPower/AT-BUS 508/2008/AlfaPower Plus IDE controller.
- Very simple low level SCSI emulator added to support Apollo software bit-banging SCSI.
- Added Apollo IDE/SCSI board (AT500/AT2008) and Apollo 1240/1260 accelerator boards with SCSI.
- Added GVP Series I SCSI controller.
- Added GVP A530 accelerator. Uses same boot ROM as GVP Series II SCSI controllers. (Uses GVP #2 SCSI slot)
- Added Masoboshi MC-702 IDE+SCSI controller.
- Toccata CD audio (AUX1) volume control added.
- Another Restart related crash fix.
- Added "framecounter" float shader variable.
- Paths panel Save All button now creates zip file that contains winuaebootlog.txt, winuaelog.txt and config file.
- Quickstart A1200 + accelerator board, A500+ and A600 with expansion never had RTC. (Wrong order of functions..)
- Possible clock sync option small stability improvement.
- Fixed memory corruption if directory harddrive with empty name was selected.

SCSI/IDE controller notes:

GVP Series I:
- Not true DMA, DMA transfers from WD to/from onboard SRAM buffer. CPU needed to read/write buffer ram.
- Driver (scsidev.device) is very old and has (many?) limits, for example only OFS and FFS partitions mount correctly.

AlfaPower/AT-Bus 508/2008/AlfaPower Plus:
- AlfaPower: no hardware interrupt (!!), AlfaPower Plus implements interrupt support.
- v6.10 ROM (Last that works with non-Plus hardware?) and v8.3 that requires Plus.

Apollo:
- All Apollo variants seems to have identical SCSI hardware. (Accelerators and 500/2000)
- SCSI is working. IDE is not fully tested, only AT500/AT2000 have full IDE driver. For some reason Apollo 1240/1260 driver still have short "is there any IDE drives" detection code remaining.
- "Software" SCSI, hardware can only do bus arbitration in hardware, everything else is done by bit-banging SCSI IO lines. Both SCSI and IDE also use non-DMA data transfers.
- 128k Apollo ROMs (68060 f00000 ROM code and SCSI driver) are currrently supported. Non-accelerator (AT500/AT2000) ROMs don't seem to be available = can't test IDE emulation.
- 128k v5.60 ROM added. Seems to be last 1240/1260 ROM with SCSI.

Masoboshi:
- Unusual design, SCSI supports both PIO and DMA, software selectable.
- IDE and SCSI (sort of) in non-DMA mode working.
- SCSI writes are not working correctly, do not use! DMA controller not yet emulated.
- "2.201" (device version) boot ROM added. ROM image does not have any version numbers or dates.
- IDE driver uses CHS addressing and seems to have problems with 2G drives, actual limit may be smaller. It tries to access first unavailable block number at the end of drive. (Driver flashes red background color if drive returns error status)

Most popular SCSI and IDE controllers are now implemented.
Remaining IDE boards that I'd like to support:
- Roctec RocHard (Need boot ROM)
- AdIDE 40/44 (Need boot ROM)
Remaining SCSI boards are 5380/53c80 based boards that need chip emulation first:
- All SupraDrives.
- Trumpcard 500/2000

Perhaps others too. As long as at least one boot ROM is found for unsupported boards.
Old 02 February 2015, 12:49   #59
Kitty

Thanks Toni for your continuous hard work, I am amazed how far WinUAE has come since I joined EAB back in 2005!

Last edited by Kitty; 02 February 2015 at 14:15.
Old 08 February 2015, 15:20   #60
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_3100b8.zip

Beta 8:

- 53c710 software reset bit emulated.
- Cirrus Logic register memory banks should not be marked thread safe.
- Show '?' instead of 'E' in harddrives list if hdf can't be opened because of access fault, for example if it is already open and emulation is running and show '!' if open failed because of write protection.
- Rewritten expansion board rom handling, expansion data is now fully parametrized, autoconfig emulation and config file handling does not need code changes anymore when new board with boot rom is implemented.
- Secondary IDE/SCSI boards temporarily removed.
- Automatically disable 24-bit CPU addressing if selected accelerator board is 32-bit.
- Existing Blizzard 1230IV/1240/1260+SCSI configurations need adjustment. SCSI Kit configuration has changed.
- Do not initialize tablet if tablet options are not enabled.
- 5380/53c80 SCSI chip emulation implemented. Surprisingly basic chip, even Apollo SCSI hardware is more complex, driver needs even more bit-banging than Apollo..
- SupraDrive 500XP (5380) emulation implemented.
- Added GVP G-Force 030 board. Same as GVP A530 but supports more RAM, located at 0x01000000.
- A2620/A2630 accelerator board RAM now adjusts 0x01000000 memory size.
- Fixed GPV Series I autoconfig product id.
- STOP instruction was 2 cycles too fast in 68000 cycle-exact mode.

NOTE: Accelerator board ROM appears also in SCSI/Boot ROM list. It will be removed later.

SupraDrive 500XP:

- v3.8 ROM (AMAB6) added. (Anyone have AMAB5 or older? I'd like to know why older versions have so many compatibility problems with modern drives. A2000 WordSync version also accepted.)
- Uses MOVEP in main data transfer loop. (My crystall ball says WordSync version does not...)
- Usual fake DMA, CPU used to transfer data, hardware automatically handles SCSI data handshake.
- Any CPU access to "fake DMA" address space when SCSI chip is not in DMA mode: access never finishes. This is also emulated, causes halt 6 state.