English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 July 2016, 17:43   #1
cmsj

Let's build a complete Mediator guide

Hey folks

I'm new to the world of Mediators and I've really noticed that information about Mediators is really fragmented. The official docs are not great, and most forum threads are pretty vague and inconclusive.

So, let's fix it.

https://mediators.github.io

The source for the page is in a project on GitHub (https://github.com/Mediators/UnreliableGuide) if you want to file bugs, propose patches, or join the team.
Since GitHub/git is a hard workflow for classic Amigas, I'm also very happy to take fixes/additions/suggestions on this thread, or via my email.

In case you're not able to access https:// URLs, I'll keep the latest versions attached to this post.

Let's go!
Attached Files
File Type: txt unreliable-mediator-guide.html.txt (35.2 KB, 370 views)
File Type: pdf unreliable-mediator-guide.pdf (174.7 KB, 557 views)

Last edited by cmsj; 09 November 2016 at 10:24.
Old 21 July 2016, 15:37   #2
slaapliedje

One thing off the top of my head just reading the intro, not all PCI cards are created equal. Some of them are certainly notched for 5v use, but still don't support the 5v line. Ran into this when trying to get a Radeon that'd work. I finally did, but only after hitting the forums and finding one. I'd even ordered one from Elbox, which worked because they modified it themselves, but it also didn't have the full 256mb of ram that I wanted from it.

Unfortunately I have the older 4000Di Mediator that only supports 5v cards.
Old 22 July 2016, 01:19   #3
cmsj

@slaapliedje: good tip, thanks! I'll add that to the guide.
Old 03 August 2016, 15:53   #4
cmsj

Updated the guide with lots of version information about different MMCD/MM_CD_UP releases.
Old 08 October 2016, 19:08   #5
-Acid-

I've been following your guide but as usual when I go to set up P96 it never finds my card. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I'm using Classic WB Full, all of my drives are setup everything boots fine. I have an Apollo 060 with 64mb ram in it, and i'm using a Mediator 1200 SX with a Voodoo 3 3000.

I install the original MM CD v1.05 then run the 2.5 update. I have version 11 of pci.library in Libs and reset. I run pciinfo from shell and it tells me the Voodoo is there (if I put them in it also tells me about my SB128, RealTek NIC and Spider card). So it's established that the OS sees it.

I then install P96 with default options using the CV64/3D as the card. Once complete I rename that to Voodoo and change the tool type to Voodoo for the board type. When I reboot I get an error requester saying Could not create graphics board context for Voodoo.

The checkboards tool finds no cards and running picasso96mode in prefs shows no board in the menu.

Help!
Old 09 November 2016, 10:25   #6
cmsj

Updated the guide with the start of a Troubleshooting section. Please, please, if you have ever had to fix a weird issue with your Mediator, please describe it to me so I can try and get more into the troubleshooting section
Old 09 November 2016, 10:29   #7
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
I've been following your guide but as usual when I go to set up P96 it never finds my card. What the hell am I doing wrong?
Sorry for the late reply. Did you manage to sort this out? I wonder if there is an appropriate Voodoo driver in LIBS:Picasso96/ ?
Old 09 November 2016, 22:23   #8
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Did you manage to sort this out? I wonder if there is an appropriate Voodoo driver in LIBS:Picasso96/ ?
Yes i've had a Voodoo 3 3000 and a Radeon 9200 SE working with P96 now. I started with an old Mediator CD (1.05) then updated to 2.5 and it worked. Can't get any screen modes over 800x600 working though not sure what i'm doing wrong (same applies on my CV64/3D as well in my A4000). When I set them up with default settings they all work up to 1600x1200 when I click on test but all of them fail to display when I try setting one in screen mode prefs. Oh it probably helped I am now using the P96 CWB so obviously something in the other packs was breaking P96.
Old 10 November 2016, 10:29   #9
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Yes i've had a Voodoo 3 3000 and a Radeon 9200 SE working with P96 now. I started with an old Mediator CD (1.05) then updated to 2.5 and it worked. Can't get any screen modes over 800x600 working though not sure what i'm doing wrong (same applies on my CV64/3D as well in my A4000). When I set them up with default settings they all work up to 1600x1200 when I click on test but all of them fail to display when I try setting one in screen mode prefs. Oh it probably helped I am now using the P96 CWB so obviously something in the other packs was breaking P96.
I'm not much of a fan of things like CWB, it's too many tools/patches to keep track of for me

You mentioned that the Test button works. Does the Edit button work? That's a more complete test in that it's drawing a window on the screenmode.

I've driven my Radeon at 1920x1200, but I did increase the value of ENV:Mediator/RadeonMem from 32 to 64 because P96 was claiming there wasn't enough graphics memory to do 1920x1200 at 32bit (which seems weird, 1920*1200*32 is about 9MB).
Old 10 November 2016, 12:48   #10
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ OP

Nice idea fella. My Mediator days were a struggle to start, but after messing around a while (months-worth of continuous re-installs) I finally got the the point I could almost do a Mediator build blind-folded.
Ravestar over @ AmiBay still has a fine example of the durability of these Amiga's when set up correctly. Some of the pics are missing because of non-replaced hosting. Apologies.

@ Acid

As I recall, you have to add new Screen modes in the P96 Settings, but you will need to know your Monitors Horizontal & Vertical Refresh values: Maximum & Minimum.

Tread very very carefully though.... Get this wrong & you can destroy your monitor as soon as you click to try the screenmode you've just created.

I didn't ever need to run CWB to get P96 working.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 10 November 2016 at 12:55.
Old 10 November 2016, 22:39   #11
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
@ Acid

As I recall, you have to add new Screen modes in the P96 Settings, but you will need to know your Monitors Horizontal & Vertical Refresh values: Maximum & Minimum.

Tread very very carefully though.... Get this wrong & you can destroy your monitor as soon as you click to try the screenmode you've just created.

I didn't ever need to run CWB to get P96 working.
I used CWB simply cos i'm lazy and didn't want to have to set up all the datatypes and dopus with all those archive formats supported etc

Anyway the monitor is a later SVGA pc monitor, i once had 1600x1200 working on it from the CV64/3D... I just cannot work out what settings i am not doing right.

When I use p96mode to create the screen modes, I can edit all of the settings and when I make a resolution I keep the rest the default values. This is when the test screen works but like I said not for real in WB. I can get in the loft over the weekend and get the manual out for the monitor if that would help? I'm reasonably happy with 800x600 but obviously knowing it can be double that I would like those modes available to me. I might even mode up to 1024x768 for WB if it was there but would prefer to get it working on my CV first as I use my A4000 more than my A1200 though it's probably the same remedy for both.
Old 11 November 2016, 11:08   #12
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
My Mediator days were a struggle to start, but after messing around a while (months-worth of continuous re-installs) I finally got the the point I could almost do a Mediator build blind-folded.
It would be great if you could take a look over the guide and let me know of any pearls of wisdom you have, especially if you have one of the A1200 mediators - I've only got a 4000Di3, so there are probably lots of nuggets of info I'm missing still

(and my Mediator doesn't even work, it's been replaced by Elbox once already, and the new one seems to work even less well than the original!)
Old 14 November 2016, 14:53   #13
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

@ Acid

Definitely check the specs of your Monitor before trying to create a New Screen Mode. I can not Emphasise this enough. You may find a Manual on line, but at worst a Spec sheet somewhere.

@ cmsj

Not sure about pearls of wisdom @ my age m8, but I'll look over it the next few weeks for sure.

RE your 4000Di, is your PSU replaced/re-capped along with everything else on the Mobo/CPU card, etc etc....??
Old 14 November 2016, 15:14   #14
cmsj

@Kin Hell - oh the adventures I have been on. My main A4000 motherboard was bought in a recapped/tested state from Mech, my spare was acquired in a recapped/tested state from bebek. I have three PSUs, all of which are ATX supplies. My main CPU card is a CSPPC (which hasn't been recapped, not sure how important that is for them?), my spare is an A3640 from Mech, etc, etc.

The only common elements I haven't switched out in my Mediator testing hell, are the physical A4000 case, and the Chip RAM stick (which also came from Mech).

Software-wise I've tried a bare bones 3.1 install and my normal 3.9 environment.

I'm pretty sure I've done everything I can to isolate my hardware/software as causing my issues
Old 14 November 2016, 22:18   #15
trixster
Guru Meditating

Blimey! That's putting me off looking for a Mediator!
Old 15 November 2016, 01:59   #16
-Acid-

I looked in the manual for my monitor the specs are

H: 30-70hz
V: 50-120hz

It says max res is 1280x1024, so I don't know how I think I saw 1600x1200 on it... i'm sure I did though lol
Old 17 November 2016, 23:07   #17
trixster
Guru Meditating

Well, I've managed to find a Mk3 4000Di so I've taken the Mediator plunge!

I've got a 16MB Voodoo 3 3000 for it, a ratte switch to get the voodoo working nicely alongside the Indivison AGA and I've ordered a pci network card from amigakit, so I should be all set.

Exciting! I hope it bloody works!

Now, my A4000 only has 16MB fast ram. Is that going to be an issue? Do I need to get hold of a BigRam or ZorRam too?
Old 17 November 2016, 23:51   #18
cmsj

@trixster: when you install the Mediator drivers and run MedConfig to configure it all, say yes to using spare Voodoo memory for the OS. It's not as fast as the motherboard RAM, but more memory is more memory
Old 16 January 2017, 23:43   #19
cmsj

Just to let everyone know, I'm stepping back and have marked myself in the guide as being inactive.

If someone else would like to take up maintainership of the guide, please contact me and I'll be happy to transfer it over.
Old 04 May 2017, 12:25   #20
kriz

Really great guide, too bad you step down @cmsj but the information is still up and i hope someone continue Thx and respect for your work