English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 June 2011, 13:48   #81
roy bates

yes your right i was ranting on a bit sorry for that i dident want it to sound that way!
its true i have been out of it for over 10 years i just went by what ive seen so please forgive me i dident know it was a after thought on hyperions site.
as a side note please dont be offended but you have just summed it up in your last reply with afterthought and thats really the amiga allover for 20 years.
Old 08 June 2011, 14:55   #82
matthey
Banned

@roy bates
The 060 support for Q2 was probably not advertised at first. Hyperion has stated there would be a 68060 version of several games later if it was fast enough. They don't seem to be very good 68k code optimizers though.
I see that Q2 uses MiniGL->Warp3D where Q1 uses Warp3D directly. It's quite possible, and judging from your speed improvement from increasing the W3D buffer, that MiniGL still used indirect rendering. You really should try the modified Warp3D.library main library if it does because the indirect rendering is much (2x?) faster.
Old 08 June 2011, 15:13   #83
roy bates

@matthey
sorry its probably not 2x faster but it feels faster due to getting rid of the stuttering in game sorry for miss leading you as the timedemo fps isent accurate .
erm as a comparison of what im trying to say if you watch fitzsteves q2 demo thats playing on ppc@240mhz it says at the end thats it was about 12.7fps do you think its acurate it looks pretty playable to me and it dont play much slower than that on mine.
after looking at the timedemo on mine it said 12.3fps
ok ive went away to work out how the game comes up with the fps score here goes.the games spools the demo back from the harddrive so you have 670 frames divided by the amount of time it lasts to watch i.e 54.4 seconds equals 12.3 fps
but heres the catch its not the refresh rate of the game when your actually playing it if you know what i mean?
as the game is timed from how long it takes to spool back it cant be accurate that would depend on your drive i.e ide or scsi or whatever your using at the time but actauly playing means it loads the level and you play it in real time i hope this makes sense?

Last edited by roy bates; 08 June 2011 at 16:43. Reason: even more info to add
Old 08 June 2011, 21:28   #84
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hey All,

I tested the 68k port on my A1200 with the 060 side of my BPPC. First test was at 66mhz and gave a Time Demo Score of 5.3fps.

When I played the game it felt like 7-8fps

I then upped the speed to 72mhz and tried again, I didn't run the Time Demo again since it was quite a painful experience however playing it felt closer to 10-11fps and *almost* playable.

As always I had the camera handy and took a little Video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Steve.
Old 09 June 2011, 14:49   #85
matthey
Banned

Timedemo demo_number may not generate realistic frame rates of the game play but it does give a comparison to other systems and setups. Note that when using Warp3D, the textures are buffered the first time timedemo is run (slow on Mediator because of slow bus). Running a 2nd time back to back will be considerably faster. I use the 2nd number for comparison.

With AmigaOS 3.x, Warp3D uses exec.library/CopyMem() a lot. Using a utility like...

http://aminet.net/util/boot/CopyMem.lha

or Cosmo's exec.library which incorporates this patch can greatly speed up memory copying. The patched Warp3D.library replaces many of the copies with even faster inlined copies. Warp3D indirect mode does a lot of memory copying because it copies the commands to a memory queue as it receives them while the hardware is not locked. It then executes the command when the hardware is locked (often when the Queue is full). Direct mode works by the program manually locking the hardware, executing all the commands and then unlocking it. It's not much more difficult to support but takes some planning and is difficult to convert programs using indirect mode.
Old 09 June 2011, 19:45   #86
roy bates

@matthey
thank you if i run it a second time i get 15.5 fps as apposed to 12.3 fps.
which leeds me to assume the game is not pre-cached in any way on the second run all the models are already there hense the false reading this probably explains the stuttering in game.ive found while playing further proof of this is when you go through levels or scenes in game where its loading the next models in.
they probably did it this way to conserve memmory but apart from that i think they did a damn good job on the conversion.
does the exec.library work on os 3.9? btw ive had to uninstall all the bb updates as they play havock with any and i mean any mmu progs running in the system.
and yes i did know about it being faster in the timedemo the second time around it also works in blitzquake.i did try the warpup files the was no effect what so ever on mine im affraid but as you say moving it from memmory should make a difference and oxypatcher also made a mark.i think the game is defenitly in 060 code but workbench is not, all that translation through varius librarys takes a toll on the old girl.
Old 10 June 2011, 01:58   #87
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
thank you if i run it a second time i get 15.5 fps as apposed to 12.3 fps.
which leeds me to assume the game is not pre-cached in any way on the second run all the models are already there hense the false reading this probably explains the stuttering in game.ive found while playing further proof of this is when you go through levels or scenes in game where its loading the next models in.
That's certainly into playable speed. The "models" (object points) aren't as much data as the textures. The models are not kept on these older cards unlike newer cards with T&L (Transformation and Lighting). They are re-calculated every time the scene changes. The textures are kept on the card, as many as there is memory for. I wonder if your gfx bus speed is slower on the 1200 than mine. I thought the later 1200 Mediators improved it to about the same as the big box Mediators (~7-8 MB/s). I'm pretty sure the sluggishness at first is from the slow texture loading. Here are my times...

3000T CSMK3 060@75MHz, 50ns SIMMs, 3000T/4000T Mediator, Voodoo4
AmigaOS 3.9 with updates, Mu/Thor's 68060.library and MuFastZero MOVESSP ON, CopyMem, BlizKick to FastRom, No Oxy/Cyber/Redox

BlitzQuake/GLQuake @ 640x400 timedemo demo1
1st run 2nd run
19.8 fps 23.8 fps original Warp3D libs
21.5 fps 26.4 fps modified Warp3D libs

BlitzQuake/GLQuake @ 640x480 timedemo demo1
1st run 2nd run
18.9 fps 22.5 fps original Warp3D libs
20.4 fps 24.7 fps modified Warp3D libs

BlitzQuake/GLQuake @ 800x600 timedemo demo1
1st run 2nd run
15.3 fps 17.6 fps original Warp3D libs
16.3 fps 18.9 fps modified Warp3D libs

The modified W3D libs make a bigger difference after the textures are loaded (about 2 fps improvement here). I tried MuRedox (equivalent of OxyPatcher) which didn't give me a significant speedup (+.1 fps).

Quote:
does the exec.library work on os 3.9? btw ive had to uninstall all the bb updates as they play havock with any and i mean any mmu progs running in the system.
Yes, the exec.library is made for AmigaOS 3.9. It seems to still have some bugs and problems with certain configurations though. It might be better just to run the CopyMem patch. I've tested it a lot (since I wrote it and it shouldn't cause any problems like the BoingBags might. Do the "official" BoingBags cause problems too?

Quote:
i think the game is defenitly in 060 code but workbench is not, all that translation through varius librarys takes a toll on the old girl.
AmigaOS is mostly optimized for 020/030 but almost all of the 060 trapped (missing) instructions (mostly integer 32x32=64) were replaced with utility.library calls which are about twice as fast on the 060. There were a few late or 3rd party libraries that didn't get the treatment in AmigaOS 3.9 like the picture.datatype. There are no FPU instructions, except for test purposes and the math libraries, in AmigaOS. I read the MuRedox docs and it does patch 32x32=64 and other missing integer instructions so Oxypatcher probably does the same. If a program was not compiled for 060, it would likely have a lot of these in it.

Last edited by matthey; 10 June 2011 at 02:30.
Old 10 June 2011, 10:28   #88
roy bates

@matthey
yes i agree totally. as far as the boing bags go i mainly installed them for the kickstart update so you know where im going with this, oxypatcher/remapollo sends it into a loop at startup plus remapollo stops the mediator from working in mmu mode.
so i had to make a tactical choice use it or not i voted not.im thinking about getting out one of my spare 20gb harddrives and installing a fresh copy of os 3.1 and all the files neccesary to get it running.to see if its something ive got in os 3.9 on my install thats causing problems, as there are alot of different configurations being used with different results something for later i suppose.
not really for this thread but reminds me of when i had an a500 a very very very long time ago with 2mb of chip 8mb of fast on a 030/68882@54mhz based machine with a homebrew zorro breakout board and piccaso 2 running on os 2.04 and a massive 428mb harddrive
this was when most peaple where watching quatex demos in 1mb and playing hired guns and monkey island oh the memorys,not much has changed there then.
but anyway i suspect its more todo with the way the pci bus co-operates with the modified zorro2 bus on the amiga 1200 than anything i think the same goes for ppc based accelorators as well,and on the a3/4000 its probably only going to be a tad faster in real world tests.lets face it the pci and cpu/ram dont communicate directly, but im happy with the result.
ok i did more testing on another amiga DO NOT CHANGE your buffers in workbench if you have a cf or normal harddrive on the native ide you will get read/write errors if you go above 80 buffers

Last edited by roy bates; 14 June 2011 at 23:13. Reason: more testing
Old 23 July 2011, 21:53   #89
arti

I got it to working on WinUAE using miniGL.
Works great, plays smooth in 1600x1200.
UAE is awesome.
Old 24 July 2011, 20:17   #90
delshay

Quake super smooth on my system 800x600 + Bvision
Quake 2 very smooth 800x600 + Bvision

try Shrak mission pack for quake.
Old 24 July 2011, 23:44   #91
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by delshay View Post

try Shrak mission pack for quake.
Malice is really nice too
Old 25 July 2011, 00:56   #92
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
X-Men is not quite so nice, but it is free now:

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/portfolio0601.php

Rubicon 2 (released this year!) is also worth a look:

http://celephais.net/levels/rubicon2/
Old 25 July 2011, 01:29   #93
delshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
iv got most mission pack for Quake & Quake 2

mission packs

Quake: Aftershock
Malice
Scourge Of Armageddon
Dissolution of Eternity

Quake 2: The Reckoning
Ground Zero

and a few other mission pack for Quake & Quake 2.

other games mission pack some not support by amiga.

Sin
Freespace & Freespace 2
Hexen & Hexen 2
Heretic & Heretic 2

Last edited by delshay; 25 July 2011 at 08:01.
Old 22 May 2014, 02:12   #94
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

could someone upload again the 68k exe of quake 2 ???