English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 December 2016, 20:39   #1
digitalx

Workbench, Kickstart 3.1 ROMS help.

Right been pulling my hair out trying to get this lot to work, cost me £50 and I can't get anywhere without it failing.

I have an OS Install, Kickstart ROMS (installed) and Workbench 3.1 floppies.

the flash cart 4gb is formatted sent from amiga kit with the adapter, cables etc with a red line.

That's in as far as I can tell. but nothing shown on the partition table however I tried install and it asked for "install workbench" then "system workbench" over and over. It was 12% complete with me swapping floppy disks every 2 seconds, then <something> 3.1 was full and I can't continue.

I have no about any of this first time trying to upgrade. I was supplies documentation but it just says "install this and once you're done, reset the amiga"

I NEED help badly. Preferably skype so its instant because I'm getting annoyed..

It's just on a ide to flash cart adapter or something? I read about master and slave and worried I need ANOTHER adapter and it's doing circles in my head. I don't wanna give up but I am 100% lost.
Old 15 December 2016, 20:43   #2
digitalx

Right, have the System disk in, workbench screen (old one) with Ram Disk and Workbench 3.1 displayed as icons.

From here, is where i need help so I don't mess it up more.
Old 15 December 2016, 20:46   #3
Daedalus

Hmmm, that sounds suspiciously like you tried installing the OS to the Workbench floppy and not the hard drive. If the hard drive is already formatted, the procedure is very simple. Boot from the Install disk, select the hard drive partition to install to and let it work away. It shouldn't have too many disk swaps, and the partition would normally be ten times bigger than you need for the full OS install.

Another possibility is that you installed to the Ram Disk, which is often the default location for installers. That would get full pretty quickly on an unexpanded A1200, after around two floppies' worth.
Old 15 December 2016, 20:48   #4
digitalx

Yeah they said on their its formatted ready to go. I didn't see an option where to install just used the OS INstall disc and went from there.

Ah the ram disk, probably. As i said I have 0 idea about this it just seemed easy

Yeah stock A1200, no accelerators.

Edit: I used the OS INstall disc,

c: setpatch failed
c: setpatch returncode 10

Do I boot with the OS install or workbench install?
Old 15 December 2016, 20:51   #5
Daedalus

Well, it is easy if you're familiar with Amigas, but I can see how it might be tricky if you're not. The installer should have given you a skill level option - the easiest one won't ask you any questions and just go with all the defaults. If that's the case, and it didn't default to the hard drive it'll have gone elsewhere. Pick the intermediate or expert options and it'll let you choose a location. To install however, your hard drive should be visible on the Workbench as well as the Ram Disk and whatever floppy you booted from.

Edit for the new questions, you should boot from the Install disk. That shouldn't give you and Setpatch errors like that - in fact neither Workbench or Install should do that.

Last edited by Daedalus; 15 December 2016 at 20:57.
Old 15 December 2016, 20:54   #6
digitalx

I picked the easiest, auto option. then I was swapping install and workbench floppies every 2 seconds almost.

Ill try again. I get the purple tick screen showing 3.1 rom so i know that at least works..

On the purple tick screen do i use the OS install, Install (bootable) or system (bootable) floppy?

Trying to get back to the installer.

Edit:

Workbench screen, ram disk and "workbench3.1" icons.

Ram disk is 100% full, 0k free 13k in use.

system bootable is in that's how I got here. just worried why my hdd isnt even showing.. amiga kit said they sent all i need. flash cart on a adapter, with a 2cm ribbon cable. red line.

Install workbench floppy in now, install 3.1 appears on the workbench space.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:00   #7
Daedalus

You should boot from the Install disk. Do you have any DH0:NDOS or anything like that? Ram Disk sounds ok, Workbench3.1 is ok if you booted from the Workbench disk, but not if you booted from the Install disk.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:04   #8
digitalx

No idea what DH0 NDOS is.. I saw a amiga dos screen but that was empty pretty much.

Checking scsi device address 0 unit 0 shows up in HDtools.

nothing shows up on the screen with hard drives in system. grr

pretty sure the flash cart is inserted probably, it can't too high up because there's a little circuit board block it, it's like a 40pin slot with a 44 pin cable.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:08   #9
Daedalus

Hmmm, if it's not showing up in HDToolbox then something's wrong on a hardware level. It's easy to offset the connector at the motherboard end by a row of pins either direction because there's no surround and it's kinda hard to see - I've done it myself. That'll certainly stop it from working but with a little luck wouldn't damage anything. The adaptors are pretty simple so there's nothing much you can do there, and if AmigaKit sold it then the card will definitely be compatible.

Edit: Sorry, if it is showing up in HDToolbox, then it might simply need partitioning. Check the Partition option in HDToolbox and see if any partitions exist already.

DH0:NDOS is what shows up on the Workbench screen as an icon for a disk (or partition) that hasn't been formatted.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:11   #10
digitalx

ill try realligning it again, thanks so far.

Oooh!

Realligned, thought "ok just as before" now on screen I have: ram disk, HDD2 (floppy icon), HDD (drawer icon) system, workbench 3.1

That's progress right..? I'm excited now lol.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:13   #11
Daedalus

To be clear: Is it, or is it not showing up in HDToolbox? If it is, it's already aligned correctly.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:16   #12
Daedalus

Yes, that's looking promising. The drawer icon is actually probably a hard drive icon Try installing now, select the Intermediate option and then choose the HDD as the destination. You're home and dry
Old 15 December 2016, 21:17   #13
digitalx

Well it's now showing WHDLoad, Dupus and IDE Fix in the HDD drawer icon. I was hoping WHDload would show up, it says "2% full. 1,613M free, 36M in use.

I think i'm getting there.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:25   #14
digitalx

oh for goodness sake.

software error red and blinking, missed the error codes.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:26   #15
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

STOP!

The Amigakit HD is SFS formatted for the A1200, Are you using an A1200?

The HD is ready to go as is. It's like CWB. You boot from the HD then Install Workbench to it.
The reason the OS-Install disk is writing to itself is because there is already an OS-Install in the ADH0:c drawer.
The first partition is ADH0:
Old 15 December 2016, 21:27   #16
Daedalus

At what stage? What was it doing before that happened? Don't worry about the error code, it wouldn't tell you much that's useful at this stage.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:27   #17
digitalx

Yes A1200.

Can't remember now, short memory. Sorry. something around partition and swapping floppies, scsi devioces. Found 1 but not another.

I rebooted and now it's on the OS Install copying workbench files. 2010 Leaman Compuyting Ltd. Think that's good.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:28   #18
Daedalus

@Arnie,
It's a stock A1200.
Old 15 December 2016, 21:30   #19
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I added more info to my post ^
Old 15 December 2016, 21:31   #20
digitalx

Gotcha thanks Arnie, learning (albeit slowly) as I go. Probably going in at the deepend for my level of knowledge but you never know unless you try.