English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 October 2019, 22:51   #1
systmcrsh

Help! Melody 1200 5v clockport pin

can anyone familiar with the melody 1200 confirm that the clockport cable is lined up correctly in this picture? that is, that the red line is where the 5v should be.

i'm confident that the cables connecting the pcbs is correct because there is a red dot on both pcbs... but there is no red dot for the clockport, unless the single red dot on the pcb is to signify that both the connecting cable and the clockport 5v should be lined up there too.

thanx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	melody1200.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	64894  
Old 23 October 2019, 23:58   #2
Daedalus

The problem with the clockport is that it doesn't have a pin 1 - it has a pin 19 and a pin 40, and different manufacturers take different ends to be pin 1. So, a good way to do it is to find a manual somewhere for that board and see how it lines things up.

How do you know that the pin with the red line is 5V? Is that marked somewhere? On the A1200, pin 20 is 5V - that's at the end nearest Budgie of the normal 22-pin clockport header (where pins 1-18 are vacant).
Old 24 October 2019, 05:23   #3
Damion

Assuming this is going in an A1200, the way you have it appears to be correct, if following the orientation given in the manual. (To clarify, I plugged mine directly on the clockport using the bottom female pins, with the board sitting over the chipram, exactly as the manual states. So, using a cable instead, that would put the red stripe at the left most pin (19), you facing the front of the machine. If I recall, the upper male pins were intended for using another clockport device along with the Melody, but I suppose this should also work fine.)

BTW, fantastic card, I used mine for many years streaming net radio inside a desktop A1200, and have it now on the clockport of a DENEB where it still works awesome.

You can find the manual in the wayback archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20050222...el1200_man.PDF

Last edited by Damion; 24 October 2019 at 05:33.
Old 24 October 2019, 18:14   #4
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

The Melody should not be connected by wire! The headers are meant for a Twister 1200 or similar.
Old 24 October 2019, 21:50   #5
Damion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
The Melody should not be connected by wire! The headers are meant for a Twister 1200 or similar.
Indeed, while the header appears 1:1 with the receptacle, you should use the female end (with a "riser" if needed) as the only mentioned use of the header is for Twister.
Old 24 October 2019, 22:14   #6
McTrinsic

Help! Melody 1200 5v clockport pin

I have it running on wire for like 3 years now.

Works like a charm.
Old 26 October 2019, 01:55   #7
systmcrsh

thanx everyone, i was able to confirm that the picture is correct...

for you fellow owners, i'm curious, does the melody board show up in the expansion board diagnostics in the early boot up screen? or does it show up in showconfig?

i have mine plugged into a clockport adapter and i'm %100 sure i have it plugged in correctly, and the board gets power, but i cant get the drivers to load.

im unsure if its a compatibility problem with the adapter, or if something with the board isnt working. so im curious if there is a simple way of verifying if the board is functioning without the drivers loaded (showing up in sysconfig, etc)
Old 26 October 2019, 10:14   #8
McTrinsic

The board will not show up as an individual board due to the clockport.

Clockport devices rather use memory addresses than full autoconfig.

What card or clockport do you have it attached to??
Old 27 October 2019, 00:37   #9
systmcrsh

i'm connecting it to the primary clockport on an indivision a604n, which "should" be compatible...

i know i have the cable plugged in correctly because the pins are clearly marked on the bottom of the a604n.

i've tried several different drivers that i've found on the internet, including one here in the zone, but i always get an error from melodycontrol that it can't find melodyaudio.device at unit 0.

i also tried changing the unit number in melodycontrol commodity to 0, 1, 2, 3

so i have another question... does the led on your board light up and stay on when you power up your amiga?

mine does. i assumed that it was a power led but i had another look at the manual and it states:

"13 Error or Peak-LED
The LED shows misbehaviour of the board and things like overloading the inputs (clipping)."

that implies to me that the led should only light if there is something wrong (or clipping)
Old 27 October 2019, 01:21   #10
McTrinsic

Sorry I have my system dismantled currently and can’t speak about the LED. From top of my head I thought it would turn on the Amiga is switched on but I can’t say.

First question regarding the clockport: does the melody get hot? If not it should work.

Unfortunately I can’t say anything about the A604n. Does the manual say something about the clockport-address is used or if it’s just using the standard A1200 address?
Old 27 October 2019, 01:26   #11
McTrinsic

If all else is fine you should look for a like ‚melody resource.library‘ or similar.

In my case it worked when I replaced the string ‚card.resource‘ with ‚disk.resource‘ within this file.
Old 27 October 2019, 01:32   #12
McTrinsic

Oh and by the way. I just checked the manual of the A604 online.

Is it an A604 or A604n ?

Which of the two or three clockports do you have the melody attached to?