English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 December 2023, 09:17   #1
garyg

Do I need to re-install GuruROM software?

Hi all,

After a long time I am trying to use an external CD-ROM drive with my A3000T but it's not being recognized. SCSI Inquire just looks for .scsi items. Do I need to re-install GuruROM software or is there some other adjustment to make or problem area to look at?

Regards,
Gary
Old 25 December 2023, 12:18   #2
Jope
-

The GuruROM I'm aware of is a firmware upgrade for the A2091 and GVP Series II SCSI controllers, so as far as I know you don't need it for this.

With an A3000(T) and OS3.1 or newer, you should be able to hook your CD-ROM up to the SCSI bus and just point the CD0 mount file's unit to the scsi id that you have set the CD-ROM drive to in order to get it working.
Old 25 December 2023, 12:47   #3
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Make sure the SCSI Bus is terminated at both ends with all SCSI devices in between open. <---- This means unterminated.

Some SCSI Devices can be used to terminate the Cable. CDROM's, tape drives @ such are not good at terminating SCSI cables even if they have a termination Jumper.
Most times with SCSI, you are always better off physically terminating the Cable with Active Resistor Packs.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 25 December 2023 at 12:56.
Old 25 December 2023, 13:33   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There is no GuruROM for A3000. (A590, A2091 & GVP SCSI ctrlrs)

Make sure the CD-ROM is terminated. If necessary change the SCSI ID to avoid conflicts.

With KS3.1 you need to install a CDFS implementation. AllegroCDFS, AsimCDFS, AmiCDFS, CacheCDFS,
Old 25 December 2023, 19:13   #5
Jope
-

3.1 shipped with a rudimentary cdfs that does ISO-9660 (and maybe also Rock Ridge?), so it's enough for testing, perhaps more.

No Joliet extensions in the old 3.1 one however.
Old 25 December 2023, 19:31   #6
garyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post

Make sure the CD-ROM is terminated. If necessary change the SCSI ID to avoid conflicts.

With KS3.1 you need to install a CDFS implementation. AllegroCDFS, AsimCDFS, AmiCDFS, CacheCDFS,
Oh, I have it terminated correctly, I'm sure. Otherwise it wouldn't boot, correct?

Perhaps the error is in the MountFile somewhere.

I got the Amiga from someone else and originally thought it was an A4000 (I had a friend turn it into a tower with a Mediator kit), so I got an A4008 for it since it had no SCSI controller

And I have ASIMCDFS and OS 3.1 installed
Old 25 December 2023, 20:11   #7
Dale423

Devs/DOSDrivers or it could be in Storage/DOSDrivers

You need a CD0 entry there, there is one that ships with the OS. You will need to adjust the tooltypes to match your device driver and unit number.

If it is in DEVS it would autostart assuming tooltypes is correct. If in Storage you need to double click it to start the CDROM.
Old 26 December 2023, 00:23   #8
garyg

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale423 View Post
Devs/DOSDrivers or it could be in Storage/DOSDrivers

You need a CD0 entry there, there is one that ships with the OS. You will need to adjust the tooltypes to match your device driver and unit number.

If it is in DEVS it would autostart assuming tooltypes is correct. If in Storage you need to double click it to start the CDROM.
Thanks. The back of the CD-ROM was set to unit 2 but some of the files that reflect the unit number (like CD0 were set to 6, so I "dialed" the back of the CD-ROM to 6. So, if I just double-click on the CD0: icon the CD-ROM should be mounted and ready?
Old 26 December 2023, 01:12   #9
garyg

When I double-click on the CD0: icon in Storage/Devs/DosDrivers it asks me to insert device Asim_Buffer, but Asim_Buffer is assigned in User-Startup:

assign AsimCDFS: "Sys:AsimCDFS"
assign AsimCDFS_Buffer: "AsimCDFS_Buffer"
run > nil: DIR CD0: > nil
end AsimCDFS

Can there be something wrong here?

After retry doesn't work to help CD0: find AsimCDFS_Buffer
further clicking on the icon gets me: "CD0: is already mounted"
but the CD-ROM in it isn't recognized and neither typing "info" in
Shell nor DiskMaster shows a CD0: volume
Old 26 December 2023, 11:21   #10
Jope
-

You mention it asks for asim_buffer but your user-startup talks of asimcdfs_buffer. Was this just a shortcut on your behalf and it really asked for asimcdfs_buffer? Also it seems you copied the user startup lines manually, please in the future make sure to copy every character verbatim if so. It will help us give useful answers and will not get your helpers stuck on potential misconfigurations, which were actually omissions during the transcription process.

You mentioned before that you have a GVP4008 card in the computer. Are you using the GVP's SCSI bus or the A3000's SCSI bus for your CD-ROM drive? Does the device configured into the CD0 mount file correspond to the right device driver for the controller you are using?

Basically when CD0 is mounted but invisible like this, there is a problem with your mount file, it is pointing to something that can be opened but isn't there.

Last edited by Jope; 26 December 2023 at 11:28.
Old 26 December 2023, 19:55   #11
garyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You mention it asks for asim_buffer but your user-startup talks of asimcdfs_buffer. Was this just a shortcut on your behalf and it really asked for asimcdfs_buffer? Also it seems you copied the user startup lines manually, please in the future make sure to copy every character verbatim if so. It will help us give useful answers and will not get your helpers stuck on potential misconfigurations, which were actually omissions during the transcription process.

I think I was careful in re-typing the relevant part of the AsimCDFS entry. I photographed the user-startup, but the Board doesn't allow posting images

You mentioned before that you have a GVP4008 card in the computer. Are you using the GVP's SCSI bus or the A3000's SCSI bus for your CD-ROM drive? Does the device configured into the CD0 mount file correspond to the right device driver for the controller you are using?

The GVP SCSI bus (omniscsi.device), but SCSInquire assumes an ATAPI device

Basically when CD0 is mounted but invisible like this, there is a problem with your mount file, it is pointing to something that can be opened but isn't there.
Is the mount file editable?
Old 26 December 2023, 22:25   #12
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg View Post
Is the mount file editable?
Yes, it is text. Just use your favourite text editor.

If your mount file has an icon also check the icon information. Tool types, if present, override the text contents.
Old 13 February 2024, 00:36   #13
garyg

Quote:

I seem to have a useless SCSI card: the A3000 towered Mediator doesn't recognize a Zip drive attached to it. I bought the A4008 thinking this Amiga was an A4000 (it was given to me by someone in our user group).

There's a gvpscsi.device in the Expansion drawer, so I apparently installed the software at some point (is omniscsi.device only for GuruROM?). Anyway, how do I get it to work? Or do I need to buy a different SCSI controller? If so, what kind?
Old 13 February 2024, 13:10   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I don't understand the A3000 has integrated SCSI controller. But you have installed an A4008 (aka GVP Impact Series II) SCSI controller too? Strange thing to do.

All advice in this thread assumed you were using the internal A3000 SCSI controller.

The A3000 integrated SCSI controller will use "scsi.device" and the A4008 (which you don't need unless you really want it) will be either "gvpscsi.device" or "omniscsi.device" depending on whether you have installed a physical GURU ROM into your A4008

Both the integrated SCSI controller and the A4008 should work. They have to have different controller IDs.

If it was me I would remove the A4008 and try and use just the A3000 integrated controller.

Last edited by alexh; 13 February 2024 at 13:16.
Old 13 February 2024, 14:49   #15
Jope
-

There is no inherent Zip drive and A3000 SCSI incompatibility either. I have used this combination as recently as a few months ago.
Old 13 February 2024, 16:22   #16
garyg

Thanks, Alexh! As I noted, I didn't know which Amiga I had when I got this computer at a user group meeting. The owner said it had been hit by a lightning strike and the graphics card and accelerator damaged. I guess I assumed it was an A4000 from its shape.

I quickly bought a Mediator kit and had a friend put it together, so I never saw it an A3000.

What would you suggest is the best way to revert it to the default SCSI configuration, just delete gvpscsi.device and its icon from the Expansion drawer? I wonder if there any other files I have to find and delete.

Last edited by garyg; 13 February 2024 at 22:01.
Old 14 February 2024, 08:16   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Physically remove the a4008 would be my first move
Old 14 February 2024, 08:47   #18
garyg

??? I removed the GVPScsi software from the Expansion drawer and rebooted,
but the Zip drive still wasn't recognized.

Do you think I'll be able to ever get the A4008 recognized?
Old 14 February 2024, 13:12   #19
thomas

Why do you think the GVP board would work better if you remove the GVP software?

Why do you think the ZIP drive is not recognised? How do you know?
Old 14 February 2024, 13:52   #20
garyg

After finding out that the A3000 has its own SCSI controller I thought that perhaps the software I'd installed was confusing it, and since no GVP software was working I removed what I could find.

Diskmaster doesn't show a ZIP0: icon as if it knows there's a ZIP drive attached and an info command in shell doesn't show one when the ZIP drive it connected to the A4008.

> If it was me I would remove the A4008 and try and use just the A3000 integrated controller.

Isn't that an internal controller connection though? How would I connect the ZIP drive?