English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 January 2024, 19:56   #41
Sim085

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Did you try BUPtest to make sure the PiStorm is communicating properly with the Amiga?

Found link here.

https://linuxjedi.co.uk/2021/09/05/t...rm-2021-09-05/

From what I read I do not think this is possible with emu68 right. It is not a problem, I can do the other setup (the one with the Linux distro) and test.
Old 12 January 2024, 20:20   #42
wiz12

Sorry I should have explained it better, simply create a text file called "cmdline.txt" containing:

buptest=2048 bupiter=1

and place this file in the BOOT directory of your microSD card, when you next turn on the Amiga it will run automatically and you should see the Emu68 screen performing chipmem write tests. If there's any problems it should report them.
Old 12 January 2024, 21:14   #43
Sim085

Quote:
Sorry I should have explained it better, simply create a text file called "cmdline.txt" containing:

buptest=2048 bupiter=1

and place this file in the BOOT directory of your microSD card, when you next turn on the Amiga it will run automatically and you should see the Emu68 screen performing chipmem write tests. If there's any problems it should report them.

Thanks for this, just a quick question, the Emu68 screen would be on HDMI output or RGB? I am assuming HDMI but just to double check.

On a separate note, I tried the same setup on a different monitor (using different HDMI cable as well). The results are better, The picture is much more stable, in a way it is the opposite as the other screen, slight move the picture goes and then comes back.

Also, when I click the right mouse button the connectivity is lost and then immediately comes back. Left mouse button is ok.

I will try BUPTest and see what I get...
Old 12 January 2024, 23:51   #44
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
Thanks for this, just a quick question, the Emu68 screen would be on HDMI output or RGB? I am assuming HDMI but just to double check.
HDMI output on your cm4 IO board.

Quote:
On a separate note, I tried the same setup on a different monitor (using different HDMI cable as well). The results are better, The picture is much more stable, in a way it is the opposite as the other screen, slight move the picture goes and then comes back.

Editing your config.txt HDMI settings to suit your monitors display timings should improve things. Have a look at the following:

https://www.scribd.com/document/5192...erry-pi-4-HDMI

In my case my monitor BenQ BL912 works best with hdmi_group=2 & hdmi_mode=16.
Old 13 January 2024, 20:09   #45
Sim085

Quote:
Editing your config.txt HDMI settings to suit your monitors display timings should improve things. Have a look at the following:

https://www.scribd.com/document/5192...erry-pi-4-HDMI

In my case my monitor BenQ BL912 works best with hdmi_group=2 & hdmi_mode=16.

Again many thanks for all the help. Just a question, is there a science behind selecting the mode (like I need to check monitor dimensions?) or it is just trying them all out until one sticks? It is my first time so sorry if the question might sound stupid
Old 13 January 2024, 23:55   #46
wiz12

You match the values to whatever your monitor's specification are by setting both hdmi_group (usually 2) & hdmi_mode to suit however you can experiment by changing hdmi_mode value to a different one perhaps to get full screen for some resolutions if the native value doesn't work right.
Old 13 January 2024, 23:57   #47
Dunny

the monitor settings in config.txt tell pistorm what resolution and rate you want to display video. Videocore stretches your amiga screen resolution to fit that. So you decide what overall resolution you want, then choose values for group and mode that fit that res.

You might have to try quite a few before you get one that works - my LCD TV is a 1080p display but will not accept a 1920x1080 screen mode from the pi. I have to specify 1366x768 which the TV is perfectly fine with.
Old 21 January 2024, 20:43   #48
Sim085

So I had some time today to turn my attention to this again. I removed group and mode config and tried on the tv. It worked, it came just a box in the corner yes, but I did not have the constant blackouts as I had before. So I guess that is a positive sign. Only think I noticed is mouse was somewhat slow. Is this somehow related?

On my monitor however, same settings does not work. I will do some more experimenting. What I do not understand is why a raspberry 3 and also a zero works ok on same monitor, but not the cm4. Is the raspberry OS on these doing something automatic? And if yes can I steal the mode from some file on these (grasping to straws but I trying to avoid having to try all those modes until one works).
Old 22 January 2024, 16:37   #49
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Not sure about my PC Rig (Z690 Asus ROG Extreme, 12900K @ 5.4Ghz) but on the latest versions of CaffeineOS, after writing the ISO, I am not seeing the EMU68 Partition?

To rectify this & at your own risk/responsibility, do the following:

Run a DOS prompt as an Administrator & type "Diskpart"

Type "list disk" & select the media you wrote the CaffeineOS to by typing "select disk #(the # being the number shown alongside the media when you typed "list disk".

Example: After selecting Disk 9 (my case for MicroSD on my card Reader) type;

select partition 1.

You will be prompted that Partition 1 is now selected.

Type assign

This will assign a drive letter to this Fat32 Partition so it shows in Windows when you put it in your card reader.

I don't know if it's my current install screwing this up, (Bill & his cronies are responsible for a lot of issues) but the above works & corrects it for those important moments where you need to address the files on the EMU68 Boot partition for your Pi device. - Examples are putting the latest nightly releases of EMU68 on your current install or editing the CONFIG.txt file for those Overclocking moments & such.....

I create a folder on this Boot partition called My Files & copy Network files & such here. Then in CaffieneOS, you can go to the top Menu on your desktop, pull down PiStorm/BUPTest and mount the Partition live to access/edit the EMU68 Boot Partition.
So glad this got implemented on the later versions of CaffeineOS & yes FOL....

Innit great!

Last edited by Kin Hell; 22 January 2024 at 16:45.
Old 22 January 2024, 17:55   #50
Dunny

Or get a cheap PCMCIA to CF Card adapter and never remove the uSD card again
Old 27 January 2024, 17:12   #51
Sim085

Did the buptest and all looks to be ok (great news).
I have tied some other settings (at random) but no luck.

I have reverted back to config without group and mode. This gives me workbench in corner of screen.
What I do not understand is this. When I switch the Amiga on first thing that comes up is the Emu68 logo on light grey background. This takes the full screen. Then why when it boots in workbench it only takes the top left corner of the screen?
Old 27 January 2024, 17:49   #52
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Did the buptest and all looks to be ok (great news).
I have tied some other settings (at random) but no luck.

I have reverted back to config without group and mode. This gives me workbench in corner of screen.
What I do not understand is this. When I switch the Amiga on first thing that comes up is the Emu68 logo on light grey background. This takes the full screen. Then why when it boots in workbench it only takes the top left corner of the screen?
Not quite sure you are in the same "Ball Park" as the rest of us here?

Can you confirm you have an "HDMI" & "Amiga RGB" connection or just HDMI?? - & if just HDMI, what monitor?

...and.... is this a vanilla install (guessing so) of OS3.xxx ??

CaffeineOS just works.