English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 February 2024, 16:39   #1
Amiga1992

Trouble trying to format 4GB SD card

I've done this several times with CF cards but for some reason I am being unable to with this SD card and I am going mental. I already did this on a 2GB card and I don't remember such issues.

I managed to use HDToolbox to set up my partitions and they are showing up in Workbench as NDOS. I made a 128MB partition for the system and the rest is for my data files.

When I try to format, the PFS3 info window shows up then it says "verify error". Using pfsformat also yields an error. I have no idea what is happening here but I am at my wit's end.

I'm using the latest public WinUAE on a 3.1 config. Setup the SD card as A600/A1200 IDE.

I tried now using uaehf.device, it goes through the format process, then gets stuck at "Initializing disk" and then spits out "not a valid DOS disk".

Any help greatly appreciated

Old 14 February 2024, 17:07   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

4GB SD Card....

Bin it & buy a new one.

I'm all for verification on Formats to hard drive surfaces, but in this day & age....

4GB SD Card... try a new one for the tiny cost.
Old 14 February 2024, 19:36   #3
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
I'm all for verification on Formats to hard drive surfaces, but in this day & age....

that has nothing to do with the problem at hand, the same happens with quick formatting, that doesn't do verification.
My bad for not mentioning that and assuming people wouldn't say something like the above.
Old 14 February 2024, 20:55   #4
nogginthenog
Amigan

Have you configured PFS for direct SCSI?
I don't think scsi.device from 3.1 supports > 2GB.
Old 14 February 2024, 23:42   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Have you configured PFS for direct SCSI?
I don't think scsi.device from 3.1 supports > 2GB.
My bad again, I forgot to say I am using PFS3-AIO
Now if that's still applicable to AIO, how do you do that?

I am beginning to think I might have landed again on this problem I found before, but I thought this happened only on drives larger than 4GB: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=111721
"SD adapter not allowing access to last block(s) of drive. "

How I worked around this issue is flashing an image I had of a 2GB card on the 4GB card, then extending the size of the second partition to fill up the rest of the drive. Just to be extra safe, I left the last 8MB of space empty in case this is indeed the problem, but I would like to hear any more insights if this is not at all the problem and how to fix/resolve in the future.

It might be time to get another SD card reader...
Old 15 February 2024, 08:26   #6
thomas

Well, cylinder 8 with 1040 to go is surely not "the last few blocks". If 1048 cylinders correspond to 4 GB, then cylinder 8 is around 30 MB.

Sounds more like the SD card is fake.
Old 15 February 2024, 16:11   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Sounds more like the SD card is fake.
I've been using this card for a long time, it isn't fake, I bought it off retail, and if it was fake, I wouldn't be able to fill it up ever, which I have, several times.

And now after I dumped the image on it from an old 2GB image and extended the remaining partition (thanks Thomas for your handy tool!), it is all working well, so still don't know what happened here, but given that I have had issues with this SD reader before, I would think it's that, but I cannot be sure.

In the thread I linked to, although displaying another error, Toni Wilen says that PFS3 has a "safety check" where it rejects the partition. Being that I would always get this error after the "PFS3 info" window shows up, it seems similar.