English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 August 2014, 12:42   #21
ajk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
But is it better/different than the regular rgb-scart cables like the ones amigakit is selling?
SCART is not an option in the US and other places that do not use it. This device is mainly for those areas.
Old 30 August 2014, 13:34   #22
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
SCART is not an option in the US and other places that do not use it. This device is mainly for those areas.
is that not why they sell the Scart to Component converters in the US, to make Scart a viable option. I know people in the US who have retro systems that use them.

I'm not in the US and I use a converter due to lack of Scart video capturing available on the PC "within a reasonable affordable price range", I wouldn't be surprised if Scart is gone in the EU before Component. Also Component as a connection of choice is on borrowed time too.

It is unfortunate as those Scart to HDMI converters are the worst.

You really only have two options

Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1
Micomsoft XRGB-mini Framemeister

Both are very expensive, so for most people they are not an option.

Last edited by Whitesnake; 30 August 2014 at 13:42.
Old 30 August 2014, 15:05   #23
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
is that not why they sell the Scart to Component converters in the US, to make Scart a viable option. I know people in the US who have retro systems that use them.

I'm not in the US and I use a converter due to lack of Scart video capturing available on the PC "within a reasonable affordable price range", I wouldn't be surprised if Scart is gone in the EU before Component. Also Component as a connection of choice is on borrowed time too.

It is unfortunate as those Scart to HDMI converters are the worst.
In Canada/USA the RGB scart to HDMI is a very good option for those TV's that have HDMI inputs, i haven't seen an issue with video displays
Old 30 August 2014, 22:50   #24
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
In Canada/USA the RGB scart to HDMI is a very good option for those TV's that have HDMI inputs, i haven't seen an issue with video displays

No offense kipper but white snake is right, the rgb-HDMI adapters are awful!

They stretch the picture from 4:3 to a 16:9 frame and they introduce quite a few motion de-interlacing and scaling artifacts.
Old 31 August 2014, 01:51   #25
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
No offense kipper but white snake is right, the rgb-HDMI adapters are awful!

They stretch the picture from 4:3 to a 16:9 frame and they introduce quite a few motion de-interlacing and scaling artifacts.

Sorry, dont agree it works fine for me, no artifacts and no noticeable lag
Old 31 August 2014, 06:21   #26
kjmann14

I agree with whitesnake as well. that is why I kept working on this. the un-even scaling, graphics breakup with fast moving objects on the screen, the Scandoublers/RGB to HDMI units really suck in my opinion.
Old 31 August 2014, 07:34   #27
ajk

@Whitesnake

Yes, any analog input is going to be rare in the future. But if kjmann14's device provides good image quality in a single device rather than a clunky chain of cables, and is even optimised particularly for the Amiga, I'm sure it's a nice option.

I use a Startech card to capture RGB. It's only about €100 or so. [ Show youtube player ] captured with it. Original is 50fps of course but YouTube does not allow that yet.
Old 31 August 2014, 08:02   #28
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
The incompatibility is more likely related to the Amiga's (non-standard) non-interlaced video signal.
Could be, but the Amiga's non-interlace video signal was no more non-standard than that of the C64 or Atari 2600 or Intellivision or NES or pong or any of the many other home computers/game machines that were meant to interface with a television.
Old 31 August 2014, 08:13   #29
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmann14 View Post
i agree with whitesnake as well. That is why i kept working on this. The un-even scaling, graphics breakup with fast moving objects on the screen, the scandoublers/rgb to hdmi units really suck in my opinion.

+1
Old 31 August 2014, 08:21   #30
esc

Agreed with whitesnake here. I'm in the USA and have had issues with my cd32 and old a1200 and a4000.

Old 31 August 2014, 13:43   #31
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
@Whitesnake

Yes, any analog input is going to be rare in the future. But if kjmann14's device provides good image quality in a single device rather than a clunky chain of cables, and is even optimised particularly for the Amiga, I'm sure it's a nice option.

I use a Startech card to capture RGB. It's only about €100 or so. [ Show youtube player ] captured with it. Original is 50fps of course but YouTube does not allow that yet.
I assume you mean this card?

http://www.startech.com/AV/Converter...onent~PEXHDCAP

I believe that is is one of Micomsoft's cards re-branded, but it does work well from what I've read and it is good for the price if you have an an extra internal PCI-E slot to accommodate it.

Although the video and audio capture sector is definitely trending more towards external devices, I'd guess due to the benefits of noise isolation and the popularity of Mini-ITX builds only having 1 PCI-E 16x slot.

It would be nice if StarTech did a version of the XCAPTURE-1.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ < A good website for information about video scalers.
Old 31 August 2014, 15:38   #32
x56h34

Excellent idea on making this adapter and it's a step in the right direction for sure.
Thank you.

Question: Does this adapter eliminate the need for PAL/NTSC conversion of any kind, when using a component-enabled TV?
Old 31 August 2014, 20:57   #33
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmann14 View Post
I'll look into that. =)

Can you put up a video of the adapter showing superfrog ?
Old 01 September 2014, 19:59   #34
kjmann14

Quote:
Originally Posted by x56h34 View Post
Excellent idea on making this adapter and it's a step in the right direction for sure.
Thank you.

Question: Does this adapter eliminate the need for PAL/NTSC conversion of any kind, when using a component-enabled TV?

PAL and NTSC are still an issue (So to speak). you still have to have a TV that supports 480i for NTSC and 576i For PAL when using the component video. if your TV only Supports NTSC 480i, then you will only be able to run the amiga in NTSC mode.

@kipper2k

I will make a video of superfrog this week.
=)
Old 01 September 2014, 20:42   #35
pandy71

Additional limitation is that most of TV's (if not all of them) use (or "recognize") only limited video modes at YPbPr and they can limit resolution of Amiga video signal (to 720 pixels in line and 13.5MHz sample clock and this not match Amiga video clock thus samples are not inline with pixels ). Also bandwidth for chrominance signal is reduced by half (usually). So unless TV use own video standard then most of Amiga graphics will be limited by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._601