English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 14 January 2019, 17:52   #41
Slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADE2019 View Post
Can't find Doom on google drive, do you have get the full link please?

Thanks.
Hi,

please reupload Doom and Doom 2 for CD32.

Thank you in advance.

Old 16 January 2019, 18:51   #42
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
Hi,

please reupload Doom and Doom 2 for CD32.

Thank you in advance.
I don't have Amigajay's original ISO, but I modded it a bit so that it runs off HDD and weapon can be cycled via joypad. In the zone:
http://eab.abime.net/zone/DOOM_CD32_HDD.ZIP

Start it by clicking startup-sequence in the main dir. I know, was too lazy to rename.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:53   #43
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
for you Amigajay, a quick comparison of this game on the TF328 with & without music, the speed still ok !
You're kidding yourself. That's completely unplayable.
Old 18 January 2019, 13:51   #44
toples50

It's playable in an A1200 with an accelerator 68030.
Old 14 February 2019, 13:41   #45
Amicol

This is like a 'proof of concept' rather than a playable game.
I went through a phase where I was obsessed with getting these old FPS PC games on my Amiga (Doom, Quake etc) and managed to get a 68060 accelerator card to achieve this.
Over time I come to the realisation that it was just a novelty and not really what I wanted from the Amiga. I sold the card (a few years ago now) and now play games 'designed' for the Amiga on my Amiga's, I play games designed for PC on my PC...
Old 17 February 2019, 14:16   #46
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Agreed, as stated earlier in the thread, its just for fun and see it running, in comparison to Alien Breed 3D its actually not that bad in low res speed wise, of course a 030 board with help with speed-up, but i would also say its not worth buying an 030 just for this game.

And i have always used Amiga’s to play Amiga games, i don’t the appeal of any of these hybrid Amiga machines since 1995 onwards to play mostly PC ports, i have a PC for that and don’t intend paying 2-3 times the cost for the privilage just because it has an Amiga badge!
I mostly agree.. though it'll still be great to play Doom on the CD32 with the TF330. It's a childhood dream for me to play Doom on the Amiga. (was soo envious back then, would've killed for the 10fps average )
Old 10 March 2019, 18:33   #47
Glen M

Testing this with my TF330 shows a garbled screen. Through the mess though it does appear to be running smoothly (well smoother). I would imagine running the normal adoom from my cf card will work as I think the issue is the akiko chunky to planar usage. Gloom se from cf card also shows corruption using the akiko routines whereas using the 030 routine is fine but it seems slower. I don't know if this is a hardware limitation as in akiko isn't compatible with the fast 030 or if its something that could be fixed in software.

If it interests anyone I'll put together a small video showing the issue.
Old 10 March 2019, 20:54   #48
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Testing this with my TF330 shows a garbled screen. Through the mess though it does appear to be running smoothly (well smoother). I would imagine running the normal adoom from my cf card will work as I think the issue is the akiko chunky to planar usage. Gloom se from cf card also shows corruption using the akiko routines whereas using the 030 routine is fine but it seems slower. I don't know if this is a hardware limitation as in akiko isn't compatible with the fast 030 or if its something that could be fixed in software.

If it interests anyone I'll put together a small video showing the issue.
disabling akiko should be as easy as removing a parameter from the launcher command line
030 should prbably outperform akiko anyway
will check sometime, hopefully this week
Old 11 March 2019, 10:15   #49
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
disabling akiko should be as easy as removing a parameter from the launcher command line
030 should prbably outperform akiko anyway
will check sometime, hopefully this week
While it is nearly impossible to see in the doom conversion due to corruption in gloom se (where the corruption is not as bad) the akiko routines seem to be faster with the TF330 fitted than using the 030 routines.

My thinking is that akiko is taking the chunky to planar conversion off the 030 which is free to render the game faster but the question is, is the corruption being caused by a hardware issue i.e. akiko isn't fast enough for the 030 hence the corruption, or is it a software issue that could be fixed to utilise the full potential of the system.

I'll put together a quick 5 minute video tonight to show what I'm talking about.
Old 11 March 2019, 11:19   #50
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Its not a question of outperforming it, its a question of the Akiko working in tandom with the 030 to give a performance boost.

@Glen its probably the Akiko code that is causing problems than the actual chip itself, as you say its working but something is causing corruption to the code, but unless someone knows Akiko routines inside out and can take a look, i doubt its something that will get solved and it would run the same as on a A1200 with a comparable accelerator.
It probably is the code rather than the hardware and I know its easy to sit here and say (errr type) that it just needs fixed when muggins here doesn't have a clue about such things.

Work has been done before to fix the akiko routines used in wing commander for example so perhaps something could be done here to. Perhaps not so much for doom though but I'd like to see the gloom se akiko 030 routines fixed.

I'll show you the differences later when I get a chance to record it but to my eye through the corruption the 030 and akiko on the CD32 is faster than using the 030 routines and faster hen my aca1233n in my A1200. Granted the aca accelerator is only 40mhz but it does benchmark faster (in terms of mips) than the TF330.
Old 13 March 2019, 18:01   #51
wairnair

Quote:
It probably is the code rather than the hardware and I know its easy to sit here and say (errr type) that it just needs fixed when muggins here doesn't have a clue about such things.

Work has been done before to fix the akiko routines used in wing commander for example so perhaps something could be done here to. Perhaps not so much for doom though but I'd like to see the gloom se akiko 030 routines fixed.

I'll show you the differences later when I get a chance to record it but to my eye through the corruption the 030 and akiko on the CD32 is faster than using the 030 routines and faster hen my aca1233n in my A1200. Granted the aca accelerator is only 40mhz but it does benchmark faster (in terms of mips) than the TF330.
Do you see an fps counter top left in the game? If you can see it despite the corruption, you can compare akiko vs 020 c2p performance more easily. It can be enabled with passing the
Code:
-fps
parameter in the command line. (It was already set in my DOOM CD32 zip, look in startup-sequence in the main dir)

Also, have you tried to set c2p routine to "c2p_akiko2"? It can be configured with DoomAttackPrefs, it's under the DA08Beta4 directory.
Old 14 March 2019, 10:25   #52
Glen M

Between other things I haven't had a chance to get a look at this again but I will make a point of doing so tonight. The corruption is significant on screen but I'll do what I can to try and make out an FPS counter.

I'll also have a go at changing the c2p routine.
Old 15 March 2019, 09:46   #53
Glen M

OK so I tried this last night. It is absolutely impossible to see the screen due to corruption so I have no idea exactly how fast it is running.

I tried to edit the C2P routine but I cannot get the game to boot from CD after doing so. I unfortunately do not have a keyboard for my CD32. Well I have a PS2 port on my riser card at the rear but it does not seem to work.

I'll give it another go over the weekend and try to get some better CD-Rs. Tesco discs don't seem to be the best.
Old 16 March 2019, 18:42   #54
SKOLMAN_MWS

68030 has twice the cache size of 68020, and the c2p procedure is only for 020+akiko.

disable datacache CPU, to see that there is a problem in this.
Old 17 March 2019, 09:39   #55
wairnair

Quote:
I'll give it another go over the weekend and try to get some better CD-Rs. Tesco discs don't seem to be the best.
You can just run it off hdd, no wasted cdr's, also much faster. That's how I experimented with joypad controls. (also that's the only way to save game)

changing c2p can be done with mouse only. In fact I don't even have a mouse attached, I just use joy2mouse in my startup-sequence so that the cd32 joypad can control the cursor under workbench.

Good luck with experimenting
Old 22 March 2019, 23:56   #56
Wachi

I had the same problem with c2p_akiko for TF330, with c2p_020_blitter it looks good, but I have the feeling that it is a bit slower....
Old 23 March 2019, 00:03   #57
trixster
Guru Meditating

Which is faster - 020 optimised or blitter?
Old 25 March 2019, 19:11   #58
SKOLMAN_MWS

that c2p Akiko to work, you must disable the data cache.
Old 26 March 2019, 02:24   #59
NovaCoder

From memory, it basically goes for 020 use Akiko or Blitter assisted C2P for best performance, with an 030 there is no advantage to use Akiko or Blitter assisted C2P (performance parity).

And with 040/060 then using the Akiko or Blitter would actually slow things down

Last edited by NovaCoder; 26 March 2019 at 06:11.
Old 26 March 2019, 10:03   #60
SKOLMAN_MWS

c2p test

A4000
68040/25+fast - 18.6 ms

CD32 with SX32Pro
68030/50+fast - 22 ms
68030/50+fast+akiko - 13.3 ms