English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 09 July 2007, 12:04   #1
sut

Amiga CD, CD32 & CDTV Feasible in Gamebase Amiga ?

Is this something that could be implemented or added ? I'm especially interest in Amiga CD games as there is a case of argument for CD32 & CDTV to perhaps have their own Gamebases in the future.

I'm mainly curious if this is a feature that could be added or if I could update my database with CD-ROM games, what 'key=values' would be required ? I understand that the CD would have to be mounted in the CD-Drive or Virtual drive manually so would it be a case of auto booting to workbench then manually loading the game ?

I'm no Amiga expert as I previously only owned a CD32 so the deeper workings of the Amiga are something of a mystery, although I have managed to run (some) Amiga CD-ROM games via Amiga Forever but I would like them implemented into a Frontend.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated or just tell me if this is impossible :-)
Old 09 July 2007, 12:12   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Well it is doubtlessly technically possible, I'm not sure about the specifics because I've never used CD games with WinUAE. The upcoming magerun (to replace the existing whdrun with a scriptable program) will be very flexible and it shouldn't be hard to make a "cdrun" script. I'm pretty sure most games could be started automatically as well.

(by the way, it just occurred to me that the *_disk0 boot disks may also become obsolete soon with a fancier "adfrun" script; maybe even games that need to be started manually could be run automatically somehow; ah well, off-topic)

I'm not sure if Belgarath is interested in officially adding CD games any time soon, I'd suspect he's not particularly interested in post-classic Amiga CD games. CD32/TV may be a different story. I don't know.

I guess I'd best wait for him to comment before saying more.

Last edited by eLowar; 09 July 2007 at 12:14. Reason: more babbling
Old 09 July 2007, 12:20   #3
sut

I'm looking forward to Project Mage even more now !
Old 09 July 2007, 12:24   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Actually, magerun, like whdrun will probably come with GameBase Amiga first, the way things are looking now. That is to say, whdrun will be replaced with a script for magerun.

That's the current plan.
Old 09 July 2007, 12:49   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I've been asked this before...And I'm not particulary interested in doing CD support anytime soon, there's enough still to do as it is.

CD Games would certaintly end up in their own database, they won't ever be in the main GB Amiga.