English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 January 2010, 23:25   #181
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
a 'real' amiga is a system than can run the 'real' AmigaOS NATIVELY and NOT EMULATED.....this is the only logical answer
Like a DraCo
Old 10 January 2010, 00:35   #182
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
a 'real' amiga is a system than can run the 'real' AmigaOS NATIVELY and NOT EMULATED.....this is the only logical answer
i don't agree or the xbox 360 is not a real xbox ?
the xbox games which run on it are emulated !
Old 10 January 2010, 17:18   #183
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Interesting stuff on AmigaWorld.net: It seems likely that the X1000 ist built by Varisys and uses a PA semi 6T. (link)
Old 11 January 2010, 02:15   #184
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
i don't agree or the xbox 360 is not a real xbox ?
the xbox games which run on it are emulated !
xbox..i think you're on the wrong forumn

@Boo Boo
Old 11 January 2010, 02:32   #185
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Now I have a Amiga X86 Barebone with Icaros Distribution and it's true real amiga, just amazing

Icaros 1.2 is amazing, and for those who never tried it, it is a port of Workbench 3.1 ported to x86 which runs Aros apps. I do like the implementation of UAE / JanusUAE as you can even run Amiga Forever 09 in a window on the aros desktop for running all your classic stuff!
Old 11 January 2010, 03:43   #186
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
But there is no steady funding for OS 5 which has been in development for the past 8 years... (even Hyperion admit to this) People are not going to go out and buy a $500 piece of hardware and just wait to see if Hyperion releases OS5... OS 4.1 isn't much cop even next to XP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post

Sales of OS4/4.1 are probably less than a 1000 imo as;

A) PPC cards are rare/very expensive
B) OS4 is overpriced for what it is, you can get an XP licence for half the price which has a massive software base
C) AmigaOne/SAM hardware is also very expensive for what it is and is using technology that is obsolete

There's also no guarantee that any other software developer will come out of the woodwork either

White Elephant. Year 2010 will be the same as before, nice new hardware for classic, OS4 - maybe 4.2 with small updates.

Hands up if you were surprised by this hw announcement for Hyperion? I certainly was (my crystal ball must be faulty). They seem to be moving from a simple software house to something more……interesting.

Although I'm always happy to see hw Amiga HW a few things concern me about this X1000.

1) This new HW has been announced before it is actually available to buy which is not such a great idea, especially with Amiga's long history of non-delivered projects (eg vapourware).
2) Little thought appears to have gone into how this announcement would affect ACube and their sales of the SAM (eg they've pretty much killed it overnight).
3) As most people on this board (and even Hyperion themselves) agree that OS4 should move to cheap X86 hw if only they had the cash, it's hard to get excited about another PCC platform.
4) Lack of cash (see above), it takes a huge amount of money to launch a new computer platform (see ACube's lack of ability to create a back-plate for the SAM as an example)...and Hyperion don't appear to have this kind of cash stuffed in their back pockets.

Taking the SAM as an example of the only recently released Amiga HW, OS4.x is still in BETA, USB 2 still isn’t fully supported, there’s only limited graphic card support and you still cannot buy a case or any Amiga branded accessories and it costs a fortune. Why should things be any different with this new HW? I wouldn't be surprised if this puts ACube out of the Amiga business for good which would be a shame as they are about the only ones current in it.

I think most SAM users would prefer Hyperion (and ACube) to focus on getting OS4 working properly before moving on to a new platform.

Have any lessons learned with the dismal AmigaOne launch, I hope so for their sake.

I think most of us realise the Amiga 'market' will always be a hobbyist niche market (unless someone big like Google came onboard) and I don't think that such a tiny market will ever be able to justify a well designed custom HW and intergrated OS platform

Last edited by NovaCoder; 11 January 2010 at 05:02.
Old 11 January 2010, 04:41   #187
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post

Hands up if you were surprised by this hw announcement for Hyperion? I certainly was (my crystal ball must be faulty). They seem to be moving from a simple software house to something more……interesting.

Although I'm always happy to see hw Amiga HW a few things concern me about this X1000.

1) This new HW has been announced before it is actually available to buy which is not such a great idea, especially with Amiga's long history of non-delivered projects (eg vapourware).
2) Little thought appears to have gone into how this announcement would affect ACube and their sales of the SAM (eg they've pretty much kill it overnight).
3) As most people on this board (and even Hyperion themselves) agree that OS4 would logically move to cheap X86 hw if only they had the cash, it's hard to get excited about another PCC platform.
4) Lack of cash (see above), it takes a huge amount of money to launch a new computer platform (see ACube's lack of ability to create a back-plate for the SAM as an example)...and Hyperion don't appear to have this kind of cash stuffed in their back pockets.

Taking the SAM as an example of the only recently released Amiga HW, OS4.x is still in BETA, USB 2 still isn’t fully supported, there’s only limited graphic card support and you still cannot buy a case or any Amiga branded accessories and it costs a fortune. Why should things be any different with this new HW? I wouldn't be surprised if this puts ACube out of the Amiga business for good which would be a shame as they are about the only ones current in it.

I think most SAM users would prefer Hyperion (and ACube) to focus on getting OS4 working properly before moving on to a new platform.

Have any lessons learned with the dismal AmigaOne launch, I hope so for their sake.

I think most of us realise the Amiga 'market' will always be a hobbyist niche market (unless someone big like Google came onboard) and I don't think that such a tiny market will ever be able to justify a well designed custom HW and intergrated OS platform
Very valid points. The only bright spot (other than being a really fast Amiga) is this XMOS chip. I'm no expert on this chip. All I know is this company was named startup of the year in the UK in 2007 (http://www.xmos.com/news/13-dec-2007...ins-start-year) and they won the IET Innovation Award for their work on this chip in 2009. (http://www.xmos.com/news/26-nov-2009...novation-award)

According to Xmos, their chip enables you to go from concept to working product in weeks rather than months. From the sounds of it, they claim you can create any typical hardware device in software on this chip. If it works as they claim it solves a major issue for Hyperion where they need hardware vendors to create peripherals for the x1000. In theory, the community can create their own hardware and everyone can load the code into it. I'm sure it's more than that but that is the gist of it.

I watched a youtube video of someone who used XMOS to load windows xp without an X86 motherboard. He was just using some custom xmos board. It would be a great thing for emulation but I feel the strength of this chip is in providing the community with the flexibility to do whatever they wanted to do. Now I could be wrong about this but that is what I get out of it.

Now I know it was mentioned sometime earlier that this chip was obsolete. It's not the case. This is new tech and a lot of cool and interesting projects have surfaced. And the Xmos community is interested in the X1000 as well. Some feel it could be a good development platform for their projects.

The point is, all of this is an unknown, until it comes out this year. I would wait until it is released before praising or condemning it.

Hyperion and A-Eon will be making a more formal announcement something this week I believe and www.a-eon.com will have a more standard website at that time as well. Hopefully they shed more light on their plans.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:28   #188
gilgamesh
Linux snob

If the Varisys hint is correct, then thy were designing a PPC+XMOS mobo for their industrial customers anyway . The X1000 would just be a by product, on which Hyperion can run its quite hardwareless OS.
Old 11 January 2010, 14:37   #189
ancalimon
Supernormal

I think selling X1000 with x86 emulation to PC users with Amiga as a bonus is another way.
Old 11 January 2010, 16:04   #190
mfletcher
Bawbag.

I really wish the community had concentrated on Minimig instead; its more affordable than the SAM / X1000. Would have been nice to get AGA support too. Maybe someone with deep pockets could set up a bounty?
Old 11 January 2010, 22:07   #191
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
I really wish the community had concentrated on Minimig instead; its more affordable than the SAM / X1000. Would have been nice to get AGA support too. Maybe someone with deep pockets could set up a bounty?
Isn't that what the Natami project is all about?

http://www.natami.net/index.htm
Old 11 January 2010, 22:17   #192
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Minimig seems to work just fine, but it is a toy. Can Minimig do anything that UAE can't?
(I mean, it's cool, but retro.)
Old 12 January 2010, 01:37   #193
NovaCoder

Quote:
The funny thing is that the SAM Flex would actually be nice cheap OS4 platform if only the could sell enough of the suckers (or had the funding to sell them at a loss...at least to start with).

If you could buy a Flex MB for say $100 and a (non-beta) OS 4.x for $49 then I think most non-classic users would be happy for now. For reference the Flex MB currently costs $560!
Old 12 January 2010, 02:33   #194
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
Isn't that what the Natami project is all about?

http://www.natami.net/index.htm
@Mangar, yeah, but Natami IMHO is still Vapourware. At least the Minimig is available here and now.
Old 12 January 2010, 02:51   #195
Mangar
Got the fever back

Quote:
@Mangar, yeah, but Natami IMHO is still Vapourware. At least the Minimig is available here and now.
Well, there was a time when Minimig wasn't available. And now it's here. You mentioned you wished the community did something for AGA like the minimig. They're working on it.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:54   #196
cybernoid
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

So the new Amiga will be PPC. Why Not x86??? As far as I know, PPC is not 68000, and x86 is cheap. Microsoft is rich because of the software. AmigaOS4 for x86 is all I want.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:30   #197
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
So the new Amiga will be PPC. Why Not x86??? As far as I know, PPC is not 68000, and x86 is cheap. Microsoft is rich because of the software. AmigaOS4 for x86 is all I want.
I think if people start using AmigaOS on x86, survival of human kind and our planet would be at huge risk. That's why it's decided that AmigaOS will be only for PPC.

There was something called Amithlon (AmigaOs 3,9 running natively on x86) and it was found extremely dangerous and banned.
Old 12 January 2010, 06:27   #198
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
Yeah it would be nice if it was available for x86, i would buy it immediately and have it running on an oldish second hand system
Old 12 January 2010, 12:39   #199
Retro1234
Phone Homer

x86 just doesnt seem in keeping with Amiga to me - high power consumption, high cpu temp, excessive power with little output and Aros, Amithlon ans Winuae already exist for x86 hardware but the Realy high prices of the current PPC boards also is not in Keeping with Amiga. Who Knows........................
Old 12 January 2010, 12:57   #200
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Yeah it would be nice if it was available for x86, i would buy it immediately and have it running on an oldish second hand system
Erm it is. Aros