English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 05 August 2017, 00:00   #21
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Did the mode 13 (320x200) worked for you? I never had luck making it work with graphics card.
not really. I did not run the emulation. i only did some configuration.
Old 09 August 2017, 01:23   #22
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpal View Post
Dear Jim, how do I quit from PCx? (returning to Workbench.) Documentation doesn't say a word about it. This question, unanswered, has been asked some 11 years ago w/o any hint. Maybe now this mistery will be solved with your help

And please, make some update on the progress of your work
Right-Amiga-Q was the OS standard method of quitting applications, so that option is available. As stated in the .guide file, you can do that or the Amiga-Amiga-ALT option.

I am currently moving to a new location. I have decided to start producing new hardware and software for the C64/128 and Amiga full-time again after I settle into my new location. I just can't seem to quit.
Old 15 August 2017, 18:01   #23
Umpal

Excellent news Jim
Looking forward to it.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:55   #24
Englyst

I had an Emplant board in my Amiga 3000 and loved it. It would sure be great to have updated FUSION and if possible an Emplant board again in my A2000. A2000 that wants a Vampire card first

Thanks for the good news Jim!
Old 14 April 2019, 09:08   #25
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

It would be awesome if we could get RTG driver for PCx, otherwise it id very limiting and can not be run on a powered up system with a graphics card that can take advantage of it.

And while PC-TASK works on RTG, for some reason you can not run text mode in full 640x400 resolution, or can you ? In this respect PCx running on AGA can do it nicely and the end result is very good hi res text output.
Old 15 April 2019, 10:14   #26
JimDrew

PCx already works on graphics cards. You can just use mode promotion to get any of the standard screens on the video card. MODE13 (320x200) is really the only mode that needs to be special to handle MODE-X (for DOOM, Wolf 3D, etc.) and that is handled by the current video driver.
Old 15 April 2019, 19:43   #27
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Spent a few hours today trying all sorts of combinations without success.
VGA and VGA_AGA work fine, they can be promoted to DBLSCAN mode.
Promoting these to RTG in P96 or CGX creates a black screen, but emulation is running fine.

Now trying with VGA_Direct and VGA_Special under P96(2.x) and CGX(4) only produces enforcer hits and a deep crash, the screen does not even open.
The ModeIDs in the listed video mode list seem to be from the P96 type.

All drivers seems to be version 1.3, were there any others?
Old 19 April 2019, 03:43   #28
JimDrew

Yes, v1.4 was the last version released (all drivers were v1.4).

VER$ = Display Driver 1.4 (11.05.97)
Old 19 April 2019, 20:05   #29
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Well, then out of luck, demo 2.1 came with 1.2 driver that also dose not work and no other driver can be found on the web now.
Old 20 April 2019, 20:13   #30
JimDrew

The demo drivers didn't support mode promotion.
Old 22 April 2019, 08:31   #31
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

What versions were available and are final ?
The DEMO is listed as 2.1 (1996) but in practice feels more like 1.0 and comes with 1.2 drivers
The release version of PCx is 1.1 (1997) and comes with 1.3 drivers and was published in 2000 as AF cover disk.

So were there any other versions made and made available to the public ?

Any chances to see the 1.4 drivers ?

Do you have any plans for PCx in foreseen future ?

The last comments written by you were about a possibility of PPC plugin for PCx, what happened to that ? A twin cpu approach would have worked nicely, 68K for main emulation and PPC for x86 code translation.
Old 22 April 2019, 17:06   #32
JimDrew

I shipped v1.4 drivers with the latest version that I released before the distribution rights (not the copyrights) were sold. The last release version of PCx was v2.0 but was only released via our website as an update. New video drivers were also released, including a direct video driver for Cybergraphics systems. Two years ago I released a new version of PCx (v3.0) as a beta to the Vampire developers while working on some optimizations for the Vampire (which turned out to be a waste of time as the special instructions that Gunnar added made no difference in the speed).

At some point I will make a new PCx package. I will NOT be supporting PPC... that would be a waste of my time as PPC is horrible.
Old 23 April 2019, 17:51   #33
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

That sounds very promising. And indeed, ppc support is very limited by nature, unless it is possible to just compile a c source into ppc version the extra efforts required have little return.

Can you shed a little bit of light as to why FusionPPC did not mature (it was close) or it did, just as always never became widely known to the public ?

Last edited by Michael; 23 April 2019 at 18:21. Reason: spelling
Old 23 April 2019, 20:10   #34
JimDrew

PCx is 1.6 million lines of 68K assembly code. I don't do C code or compilers.

iFUSION (which was the PPC version of FUSION) was something that I never wanted to do. I can't stand PowerPC and got tired of the constant changing of PPC libraries for warpos, so once it worked I sold it so someone else could deal with it.
Old 24 April 2019, 17:15   #35
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

We knew it from day 1, otherwise it would have been difficult to achieve something reasonably speedy at the time. I was thinking of just using some regularly available cpu emulation code and comping it in ppc, and see if it could be of benefit. Something like winuae did for ppc to x86, but the other way round this time.

Yes, the ppc kernel war did not help and the crowd founded iF project (an early bird at the time) did not mature enough. Still, I think that was a wonderful time for computing.
Old 09 June 2019, 17:50   #36
Grex

1. Dear Mr Drew! Nice to hear that there is life again in the development of Fusion and Pcx.
I bought the Fusion-Pcx-Bundle a long time ago. However at that point of time Haage&Partner had already stopped offering support or updates, and also the Microcode-Solutions-Website was already gone. Where can I get the latest updates and drivers for the original 68k-versions of Fusion and Pcx? Me and my A4000/060 would be very happy about it.

2. It has been said in this thread, that Fusion 3.3 is a fake. I haven't checked if the version mentioned before is identical to my 3.3-version. However back then, since all other support was gone, I contacted Joe Fenton. He couldn't help much, but he did - apart from some Pcx-Beta-Stuff - mail version 3.3 of Fusion to me. He said that it was mainly a fix for Mediator-boards. I don't own a Mediator-board, so I can't test if this is the case.
Anyway, this is why I think that 3.3 is not a fake.

Last edited by Grex; 10 June 2019 at 19:10.
Old 09 June 2019, 21:06   #37
rygar

Grex, upload you version 3.3 do "The Zone"
Old 10 June 2019, 19:15   #38
Grex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Grex, upload you version 3.3 do "The Zone"
I think that JimDrew made clear that he didn't agree to release Fusion (68k) or Pcx (68k) for free (please correct me if I'm wrong). Since this "update" is not of "patch-type" but a complete executable, I can't upload it to the zone.
Old 10 June 2019, 19:42   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grex View Post
I think that JimDrew made clear that he didn't agree to release Fusion (68k) or Pcx (68k) for free (please correct me if I'm wrong).
That's correct... I spent hours removing any versions from the "EAB FTP Server" a few months back.
Old 10 June 2019, 23:27   #40
Estrayk

We respect Jim's decision but the question is: Can we buy PCX & Fusion legally today? Where? I know more than one person that could be interested.

It's a bit frustrating that Jim tells us: No, you should not use the cracked versions from Digital Corruption and you can not buy it even if you have money and want to do it legally.

Is it so complicated to talk with apc-tcp.de for example and reach an agreement with them? Maybe you can not have total control of the units sold but that's better than nothing, right?

Jim, this is not an attack, it's just an idea, we respect your decision but you understand that it's a frustrating situation.