English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 June 2002, 17:10   #1
Pyromania

Can you say free AmigaOne computers and free Amiga phones?

http://www.amiga.com/corporate/062302-mcewen.shtml
Old 24 June 2002, 23:48   #2
ToTalXS

Big grin

Now thats what I call ambition! Whos goin to be first inline to place their order raise your hand.

Old 25 June 2002, 02:22   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It seems a little vague. Which AmigaOne machine are we talking about? Any of them? Which ones are in the works besides the 1200 thingie? How close are either (AmigaONE or OS4) ready for completion and street-date?
Old 25 June 2002, 08:02   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I hope it comes out to stisfy the Amigans out there who have waited for so long. Bravo if it comes through!
As for the screenshots of OS 4...hey are butt ugly. Have a chintzy, cheap look. Bursegs's WinUAE setup and even AIAB look far beeter, and those are WB 3.1 builds, I think. But still better looking than Windoze by any means!
Old 26 June 2002, 01:00   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, you have to take those screenshots with a grain of salt. Imagine the screenshots CBM might have displaysed for 1.3, 2.04, etc. They'd have been promoting their default colors, default icons, etc., rather than the mileage we Amiga users ended up getting out of those OS's after fully customizing to our personal likes and dislikes.

This is one of the things that I have always appreciated about Amiga OS's...the ability to customize it so completely that you care scarcely identify what system you are even on. Especially now, if you browse the Aminet WB pics which are as state-of-the-art as any OS in existance (past or present!)

All hail Amiga!
Old 26 June 2002, 03:58   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Which AmigaOne machine are we talking about? Any of them?
Since AmigaOne is a hardware specification and no real hardware, I'd say anything that would run OS4. This could be even one of the currently available ARM pocket machines.
Old 26 June 2002, 05:14   #7
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Twistin':

Quote:
It seems a little vague. Which AmigaOne machine are we talking about? Any of them? Which ones are in the works besides the 1200 thingie?
Eyetech's AmigaOneG3-SE. For detailed specs check http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone. This is the only AmigaOne currently "in the works".

Eyetech announced a second machine for late 2002, called the AmigaOne-XE. Only difference to the AmigaOneG3-SE is a socketed processor (they're using a megarray connector for the processor card, that's the same connector Apple uses). There's a prototype already, but these machines can not be preordered yet.

Other AmigaOne computers are not announced yet (at least not publicly...) - apart from Bplan's "Pegasos", but it's still unclear if this hardware will be supported by Amiga Inc.

Quote:
How close are either (AmigaONE or OS4) ready for completion and street-date?
The AmigaOneG3-SE is finished. Developer machines are out there. Currently SUSE LinuxPPC is adapted to the board. The first bunch of motherboards (200 units) will then be shipped to people that preordered them knowing that they would have to use Linux first (and wait for AmigaOS 4.0 to be finished).

There are no public release dates for OS4. Quoting the project manager: "It will be finished when it's finished".

@Frederic:

Quote:
As for the screenshots of OS 4...hey are butt ugly. Have a chintzy, cheap look. Bursegs's WinUAE setup and even AIAB look far beeter, and those are WB 3.1 builds, I think. But still better looking than Windoze by any means!
Keep in mind that these were done to show what's possible with the new intuition - not to look good.
Old 26 June 2002, 06:07   #8
jmmijo

It's nice in some respects as if/when this AmigaOne-SE board is released, there just happens to be a local dealer in my hometown, so getting one should be fairly easy
Old 26 June 2002, 08:21   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

New intuition? Not to look good? Weird marketing principals, I'd say.
Twist, I agree. I think the customizing is wonderful.
Old 26 June 2002, 22:17   #10
Amiga1992

Oh boy, I'm not giving these guys a single penny until I see an AmigaOne machine on a shop. Anyway, there's no way in HELL there will be an AmigaOne reseller in my filthy country, so even if I was a completely optimisic and amiga-blinded fanatic, i can kiss those 50 dollars (nowadays, almost 200 notes of my local currency), goodbye. And I'm not in for losing money.

BTW, why G3 processors? They could have installed there a cheaper G4 and get away with it. Today, even the iMac has a G4 inside.

And I still don't get this thing of tying up AmigaOne to a specific computer. I thought my PC would be AmigaOne compliant. I was expecting to try AmigaOS on my PC. Will this ever happen?
Old 27 June 2002, 03:37   #11
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Akira:

Quote:
BTW, why G3 processors? They could have installed there a cheaper G4 and get away with it. Today, even the iMac has a G4 inside.
Availability/price. The G3/600 were the cheapest version available in the low quantities Eyetech needed. Besides, a G4 is not the slightest bit faster than a G3 at the same Mhz rating - as long as the software isn't optimised for the G4's Altivec units (if the software is optimised, it gives quite a speed boost for certain operations though). AmigaOS is not yet optimised for G4, so it's no loss atm.

Quote:
And I still don't get this thing of tying up AmigaOne to a specific computer. I thought my PC would be AmigaOne compliant.
That was the old plan (when AmigaOS considered dead and AmigaDE should have become the new desktop OS).

Quote:
I was expecting to try AmigaOS on my PC. Will this ever happen?
With OS5 maybe. But OS5 is more than vapour atm. Nobody (probably not even Amiga Inc. themself) knows what/when/how it will be.
Old 27 June 2002, 05:22   #12
Amiga1992

Ah nice, now they 'll force me to buy an AmigaOne. no thanks, I dont have that money to spend on such a platform
Old 27 June 2002, 07:58   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Look, I want to try an Amiga OS . Will one of you apes please explain the difference between an AmigaONE, Amiga DE, Amithalon, and Amiga in a Box?
Old 27 June 2002, 11:38   #14
blackcornflake

lol, Fred.

OK. An ape replies...

AmigaInABox is just a preconfigured WinUAE WB environment, with lots of apps and stuff already installed, for lazy people.

Amithlon is an Amiga emulator, part of the AmigaOS XL package. Distribution has been interrupted, due to legal problems. Here is the author's statement.

AmigaDE is the Amiga 'Digital Environment'. This is separate from the traditional Amiga OS. It is based on Tao Group's elate system, and is Amiga's digital age solution - different digital products all communicating and working together, thanks to hardware-independent software. All very Trekky.

The AmigaOne is a hardware specification for machines to be able to run AmigaOS4. Current Amigas may be upgraded to meet this specification. This is the one you and I are waiting for.
Old 27 June 2002, 15:16   #15
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Frederic:

Check this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=3581 for info about AmigaOS4, AmigaDE and Amithlon.

Your best chance for trying out AmigaOS (only AmigaOS 3.9, but that's better than nothing) is Amithlon. Amithlon 2.0 will be available for download at http://www.amithlon.net soon (a demo version which needs a keyfile to enable HD access).

@Akira:

Quote:
Ah nice, now they 'll force me to buy an AmigaOne.
Nothing has changed, you'll still be able to try out AmigaDE on your x86 Box. AmigaOS4 was never promised to be available for that platform.

Quote:
no thanks, I dont have that money to spend on such a platform
I feel sorry for you Didn't you plan on buying a Mac? If you feel adventurous, you could buy the AmigaOneXE later this year (which will ship with a G4 processor) and install MacOS X on it (which is illegal but will certainly be possible)

P.S.: How do I turn on HTML code for my postings?
Old 27 June 2002, 16:17   #16
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
P.S.: How do I turn on HTML code for my postings? [/B]
you can't ! :eek what a security hole !
use vB code instead...
Old 28 June 2002, 20:28   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
Didn't you plan on buying a Mac? [/B]
Yes I did, but I had t oconform myself with a PC, because I have no dosh And if I am to spend money on a new computer, I rather spend it on a big brand name like a macintosh and not on a computer made by ?Eyetech?.

Is it possible to run AmigaOS on a macintosh?
Old 29 June 2002, 00:10   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Akira, you make complete sense there. If I wanted an Amiga, I'd buy the Eyetch AmigaOne, no question. But If I wanted a G4 Mac and bought its software, OS, etc, why in the hell would I go with a small, shaky company that could never offer me customer service Apple could?
Stick with Apple hardware for the software.
As for running Amiga OS4 on a Mac, thats a great question.... :O
Old 29 June 2002, 01:38   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Akira, you make complete sense there. If I wanted an Amiga, I'd buy the Eyetch AmigaOne, no question. But If I wanted a G4 Mac and bought its software, OS, etc, why in the hell would I go with a small, shaky company that could never offer me customer service Apple could?
That's ironic. That is the exact same arguement IBM users (and Mac users, too) used against buying Amigas from CBM back in the day. It's come full circle. Is history repeating itself?
Old 29 June 2002, 01:51   #20
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
That's ironic. That is the exact same arguement IBM users (and Mac users, too) used against buying Amigas from CBM back in the day. It's come full circle. Is history repeating itself?
Perhaps it is, but we have to ask ourselves, is it for the good or the bad