English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 March 2009, 14:40   #521
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
I`m lookin foward to our little ami/mac section on the ftp when we get the disks sorted out prowler
That's a good idea, cosmic, I hadn't thought of that.

Everything we've uploaded to the Zone has gone into "The Zone!" folder so far. Let's wait until TCD has finished sorting that folder, and see what we can do about that.
Old 22 March 2009, 14:55   #522
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Let's wait until TCD has finished sorting that folder, and see what we can do about that.
It's done (actually hours ago ). So feel free to move your files to a more appropiate location or tell me what should go where
Old 22 March 2009, 15:04   #523
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's done (actually hours ago ). So feel free to move your files to a more appropiate location or tell me what should go where
Thanks TCD,

I'll have to look at what's there, first. Several versions of some of the files were uploaded, and only the latest are worth keeping. IIRC, each new version was given a unique filename, but some of the old versions were deleted before they dropped out of the Zone, whilst others were not.

Now that you've finished categorizing "The Zone!" uploads, I'll try to get in there and separate those files we wish to keep into a new folder in the Emulators area, and delete those which are no longer required.

Can I assume I have your permission to do this?

prowler
Old 22 March 2009, 15:11   #524
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Can I assume I have your permission to do this?
Not that you need my permission, but nice that you ask Since it's your project and the files are better kept at one place, it's really a good idea to move them to a new folder. I guess some other files from 'The Zone' can already be found somewhere else on the FTP and I think they should be deleted aswell. So if anyone has toomuch free time...
Old 22 March 2009, 19:59   #525
exoticaga

First thank you to Magix for the extra hdd space thats is great news at least no deleting for now

Second for Tosec uploading better access than http for all we need.
Old 22 March 2009, 20:00   #526
exoticaga

To the ftp movers and shakers when moving renaming files. Is it possible to keep a record of the moves and renaming in a file in the root directory, a rtf or txt document.

I have a copy of ftp on hdd for my personal use, like most of us have.

When you reanme or move there is a chance we will download those files again wasting bandwidth for us all. With such a list we could then keep track of any changes and ammend our hdd the same.
Old 22 March 2009, 20:04   #527
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
To the ftp movers and shakers when moving renaming files. Is it possible to keep a record of the moves and renaming in a file in the root directory, a rtf or txt document.

I have a copy of ftp on hdd for my personal use, like most of us have.

When you reanme or move there is a chance we will download those files again wasting bandwidth for us all. With such a list we could then keep track of any changes and ammend our hdd the same.
I'll try to do this if you wish, but the files I shall be moving form a pretty eclectic selection.

prowler
Old 22 March 2009, 20:11   #528
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sorry exoticaga, but I won't log every move or rename action, since that would be really too time consuming. I see your point, but I think most of us just use the FTP as a resource and don't download everything that's on it. So the main goal will be to keep the FTP easy to use
Old 22 March 2009, 20:34   #529
exoticaga

Thnaks Prowler

@TCD How about for any changes done in directories main or sub. At least add the changed dir path/name to the list. Because i appreciate it would be a pain to name ever file that is changed.

I also have it as a resource, a resource thats going to last for many many years. The amiga is for life it seemingly
Old 22 March 2009, 20:45   #530
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I have a better idea Since we have problems with copyrighted files lately, it would be an idea to make a upload document, in which everybody lists the files that were uploaded and to which folder. This would also make it easier to spot wrong folders and stuff like that. If a new file get's moved, I would edit the doc

Okay, you all should now use the file 'Upload Log.txt' in the root folder to keep track of new uploads. If anyone finds a new file that is not mentioned in the 'Upload Log.txt' please PM me (or Graham ), so I (or Graham ) can check if the file is valid and make the appropiate entry in the file. Thank you for your cooperation

Last edited by TCD; 22 March 2009 at 20:53.
Old 22 March 2009, 20:50   #531
prowler
Global Moderator

Should existing files which are moved (like the ones I will be moving to a subfolder in the 'Emulation' folder) be added to the 'Upload Log.txt' list as well?
Old 22 March 2009, 20:55   #532
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you feel like doing so, do it This should only help people like exoticaga to see what is new and us to see any problems
Old 22 March 2009, 21:00   #533
prowler
Global Moderator

OK, but I'm not going to fiddle with anything else until a decision has been reached about how Magix's FTP server is to be moderated. All I've done so far is create a new subfolder.

exoticaga sure has opened a can of worms...

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 22 March 2009 at 22:13. Reason: Put my comments into better perspective.
Old 22 March 2009, 22:02   #534
exoticaga

No i haven't and i have posted here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43594 in the discussion thread for this.
Old 24 March 2009, 03:11   #535
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi All,

I've just completed moving the files relating to the A-Max Disks thread which have dropped out of the Zone from "The Zone!" folder on Magix's FTP to the "Emulators/Amiga Macintosh" folder.

I have deleted my original Emplant Disk Converter uploads, which had the libraries and font files missing.

I have also included the Cygnus File Editor for Windows, which I uploaded in connection with the A-Max Disks thread, as it is extremely useful for manipulating ROMs and disk images.

It now looks as if there will be a consultation/discussion period before any decision is reached about how Magix's FTP server is to be moderated, and I couldn't wait for that to continue developing the thread.

AFAIK, there is no problem with having uploaded any of the files which I have moved to the Emulators area.

I shall, of course, prepare a list of the files concerned if there is still any interest in this.

prowler
Old 24 March 2009, 10:14   #536
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I`ve also upped some stuff to my folder. some AmigaShopper cover disks and some files from Digital when I was beta testing for them
Old 24 March 2009, 15:01   #537
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
FTP Server has turned to Web Based File Server.

Please look at here for details.
Old 09 April 2009, 21:59   #538
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

And isnt it good.. what s/w generates these pages I wonder?

Off topic slightly but how can I use those BootBlocks with WinUAE (the bootblocks on the server).. I recall NOMADboot with some fondness as it was great in that it disabled the Rom of my GVP HDD and allowed me to play some games that otherwise crashed.
Old 10 April 2009, 16:00   #539
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Well... There is some news here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
As I see, the new site is not useful for uploading. Small files are okay but as for the big ones... not. Because there is no status bar or something like that and we can not sure if the upload is completed or not (actually, if we will wait enough, there is no problem but, nevertheless...). Consequently, I created a new account. So, you can use FTP Clients again. But, remember, this is just for the uploads. All of your files will move to your user folder (or elsewhere) after checked by moderators (or will be deleted).
Upload Rules:
  • DO NOT upload "IPF Images", "Workbench Disks", "Kickstart ROMs/Disks" & software or music files still supported/for sale.
  • DO NOT upload NEVER EVER APC & TCP Software.
  • Upload your files to folder called your EAB User Name.
Code:
Address : ftp://eab.whdownload.com
User    : eabftp
Password: Upl0ad3r
Cheers,
Magix
Old 11 April 2009, 04:05   #540
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Magix,

I have some Aminet CDs Im sure everyone would like me to share.

May I use these details upload them, please?

Address : ftp://eab.whdownload.com
User : eabftp
Password : Upl0ad3r

As yet, I don't have a user folder. Would one be created for me when I have uploaded my first file?

Thanks,

prowler