English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 July 2006, 11:40   #41
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
Just gonna PM rattus now give him a prod lol (i'll ask him to be our rep in AUS and post to fellow aussies) as one has asked here already lol (if i don't hear from rattus i'll post to jabsy!)
Thanks sarek, I'm happy to wait for Rattus.

Rattus, are you the same guy who used to post to aus.comp.amiga???
Old 03 July 2006, 15:35   #42
Bloodwych

What can I say? What an absolutely brilliant piece of work!

I can only speak for the PC side as I don’t have a modded XBOX, but I’d imagine they’re fairly similar.

This DVD is like a time warp back to the early nineties and it runs straight from the disk – no need to install anything. You can quite literally pop this DVD in your pocket, walk up to any PC/modded xbox and give someone a quick insight into what the Amiga was all about within a few seconds. Brilliant! For that alone it’s worth having.

The menu system and presentation is A* and the content manages to strike great balance between running ADFs, automatically launching straight into games and allowing the user to execute WHDload titles from the workbench. Like I said above, an all round Amiga experience, especially useful if you want to show kids what we grew up with without boring them with the technical side of setting everything up.

Adding the links is a very nice touch, as too is linking to Amiga Forever.

Congratulations Synchro, you have created a great project and I hope you’re proud of all your hard work! To make it compatible on TWO different formats was just spoiling us however! The long wait was definitely worth it!

I can see some area’s that can be improved, updated and made to work better for the classic workbench setups (version 2 perhaps), but overall as it currently stands it does pretty much what it needs to give the user a stress free ride into the Amiga world.

Well done!
Old 03 July 2006, 22:06   #43
PaulyQ

I think the only thing that this needs updating is a few configs/winUAE itself. I have bunged Classic WB P96 onto my hard drive and then added the games directory as a seperate hard-drive.....There's a couple of games that play up, but with a bit of persistence they give in and work. (this depends on the chip I have selected tho in UAE, so not the Authors fault).

again, can't comment on the xBox side of things. Still.. would love to get a cut down version of this for the Dreamcast.

This is still top banana, and definately worthy of a gold star award
Old 03 July 2006, 22:18   #44
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Thanks Bloodwych for a great review All this feedback really has made the project worthwhile....Basicly i made the kind of Amiga disk i have always wanted myself so i couldnt really make to much of a mess of it
Sort me out with your updates and i will see what i can do for a version 1.1 . To be honest that one was really filled to the brim and the next stage would really be DVD9 but i could never get that to work on xbox but it would be a huge PC version with double the games and the menu's

What do you guys think ??
Or just a version 2 on 2 DVD's is something else i had in mind again double the content and both discs would work on Xbox.

BTW!! Bloodwych You deserve a lot more credit yourself by supplying me with your Amazing Workbench's ...Hopefully i have at least Immortalised them for you on the Tribute DVD as well

Last edited by synchro; 03 July 2006 at 22:31.
Old 03 July 2006, 22:35   #45
PaulyQ

You could do 2 different versions..... one for the x-box and one for the PC. That way you could concentrate all of your efforts on each machine and fine tune them to perfection. The x-box version would be virtually the same as the PC version but with added tweaks(??)
Old 03 July 2006, 23:07   #46
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ
You could do 2 different versions..... one for the x-box and one for the PC. That way you could concentrate all of your efforts on each machine and fine tune them to perfection. The x-box version would be virtually the same as the PC version but with added tweaks(??)
Worth a thought !!

The Xbox side didnt really have that many games....or an included workbench.....Bloodwych which of your workbench's would be suitable to run on an Xbox ???
I could replicate the WHD side of things in a workbench setup so you could run all those games from an xbox i suppose....Very interesting.....you got my head working again now

Either way now i have the blueprint for the menus it wouldnt take long to do Tribute III Perhaps
Old 05 July 2006, 01:43   #47
Dexther

the pice of paradise (for my xbox )
are in my home
guy you are a great man
HAIL TO SOREK2K
Old 05 July 2006, 01:56   #48
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnox
Yeah I've got it softmodded synchro, I had an xbox before but got rid of it because I didnt play it much, but now have a good excuse to play it

Speaking of which MSC was very kind enough to send me one through, runs on the pc fine but on my softmodded xbox it wont boot or run, it sees the disc directory structure in file manager but if you look deeper in the various folders on the disc they all just look garbled instead of proper filenames, I tried running the default.xbe file manually to see if it would load via that but had no joy either. The disc I recieved from MSC was a dvd+R all my other emulator discs for the xbox are on DVD-R's and they seem to be fine. Help, please can anyone offer any suggestions. BTW synchro cool DVD
Iv'e never managed to get a DVD + R to work on any of my Xbox's as it simply doesn't recognise them it seems.I should just copy the dvd again onto a DVD - R.
Old 05 July 2006, 02:42   #49
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexther
the pice of paradise (for my xbox )
are in my home
guy you are a great man
HAIL TO SOREK2K
You could at least spell my name right

S A R E K 2 K

thanks for your email to tell me you got the dvd though m8
Old 05 July 2006, 02:58   #50
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@Adropac ahhhhh you have one of those drives that won't read dvd + guess what m8 mine dosent either so you must have a samsung drive or at very least 1 of the other 2 either a phillips or a thompson i said before this would come up as an issue!

have you got a dvd burner m8??? if so clone/nero an image of the dvdr and re-burn said image to a dvd+rw they will work on a samsung drive it's just dvdr+ that don't!
of course dvdr- is allways better the one that won the format war

A Tip for all senders of the DVD please try to stick to DVDR- they are far more compatible than DVDR+

@Jabsy can you please PM your addy cause i've heard nothing back from rattus i'll get you a copy in the post (my fave air pavion) and then when he contacts me again i'll send him on to you!

Also can other memebers of EAB who have recieved this dvd other than myself, synchro and MSC please stepup and offer to send out a copy or two thanks guys!
(of course i may have missed a few who have sent out to someone else without my knowing or noticing )

finally can some of you please try cd32 iso version of IK+ on xbox cause i can't get it working screen goes blank for ages and nothing happens thanks guys!
Old 05 July 2006, 04:10   #51
Adropac2
Zone Friend

[quote=sarek2k]@Adropac ahhhhh you have one of those drives that won't read dvd + guess what m8 mine dosent either so you must have a samsung drive or at very least 1 of the other 2 either a phillips or a thompson i said before this would come up as an issue
have you got a dvd burner m8??? if so clone/nero an image of the dvdr and re-burn said image to a dvd+rw they will work on a samsung drive it's just dvdr+ that don't!

Actually i don't have this dvd but i did want to offer a method to hopefully getting it to work for Magnox.I can understand why you thought that i had it though , should have worded it differently.

DVD + R can work for Xbox well well.
Old 07 July 2006, 01:47   #52
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

K, if a couple peeps want a copy, please PM me and I'll gladly send on.
Old 07 July 2006, 02:52   #53
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@synchro can you tell us how you got dual boot for xbox and pc i imagine it's something to do with udf but i ain't sure!

Could lead the way to other dual boot dvd's such as damiend's excellent snes dvd and macca's c64 dvd (in the making)
Old 07 July 2006, 03:07   #54
NoX1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melroc
Wouldn't it be nice to see a torrent of this DVD?
Nice idea. Any volunteers?
Old 07 July 2006, 03:18   #55
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@NoX1911 torrents are ok for very poplular stuff but after a week it would be dead in the water! Everyone will seed for a while but then they move on to other things!

The only way it would work is if you put the torrent on a ratio site like i love torrents etc and no i don't know how to do that or i would have done so already
Old 07 July 2006, 11:56   #56
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ideally it need to go to up as an NZB if everyone wants access to an emulation newsgroup i have no idea how to do this ??

The multiboot in this case was done in UDF mode and also had an autorun.inf for the pc side.....So in effect its a WinUAEX xbox DVD that reads the XBE as a normal bootable Xbox DVD would but because its burnt in UDF mode it can be read by the PC as well so the autorun and menu boots as well !!

Clever eh

Dont tell anyone though will ya......promise ????
Old 07 July 2006, 23:27   #57
MSC
Zone Friend

Quote:
I disagree. I find DVD+ gives a better quality burn on my LG burner. DVD+ was designed for DATA, which is what Synchro`s disc is.

What format war? If one side won, why does every drive support both? (Except cheapo Xbox drives). Without a doubt, i have had less compatability issues since using DVD+ and booktyping to DVD-ROM.

BUT, i should have read that it was for the Xbox. I could have then booktyped the disc i sent to Magnox to DVD-ROM and it would have been fine.

Just my two penneth.
Old 08 July 2006, 00:16   #58
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

DVD+ Was a lot more expensive when it first came out and they do cost a little more now although its only pence.

But the fact is Xbox reads DVD- better ( usually it seems ) so thats how i burnt it.
As for a war i dont think there was one really ??
DVD+ was supposed to be the newer more reliable format but then once writers that could read and burn either were produced it just became a matter of taste what media people use.

HOWEVER !! you could only get 8.5 gig in DVD+ format dont forget
Old 08 July 2006, 00:56   #59
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

@Synchro and MSC tell anyone choosing a drive at these times there wasn't a war before we had dual format we had to pick - or + some shops would say minus others plus depending on how much profit they made, of course tell the customer what they want to hear! I went with minus always becuase it seemed more compatable at the time with dvd players and said xbox and of course pioneer had the best drives at the time in my opinion!

I now have an LG and it's great does everything and works a treat but i am a creature of habbit so always get minus dvd's

Oh yeah forgot DVD+ had slightly faster burn speeds on dvdrw+ (2.4) but who cares about that lol however they worked in the xbox how weird is that!

Anyway is no argument here just personal preferences!
Old 15 July 2006, 16:08   #60
zerotolerance

Can somebody plz do me a copy of this fantastic dvd please? been looking around for a torrent but been unable to find one.