English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 April 2003, 22:09   #21
th4t1guy

Emulators are nice, but I doubt if any are at the point to where they have an advantage over the real thing. Right now, I'd say it's better to use an old DOS computer if you want to play old-DOS games. Of course, you have to put up with the fact that you have this big clunky piece of junk taking up space. ;-)
Old 09 April 2003, 23:21   #22
Drake1009

I never got bochs working.

Emulators are nice but primarily for consoles (though I'd really like one for DOS which doesn't require seperate drivers and partitions and junk). I think that ZSnes comes pretty close to being as good as the real hardware. At least in game experience. Not the "having it" experience. Hooked up to a TV with a SNES style gamepad ZSnes handles games almost as good as the real hardware did (I think), but with the ability to quickly switch games and to save and load ingame.

I'd still prefer having the real thing though if I had the room for yet another system in my room.
Old 10 April 2003, 05:38   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You know, I usually say 3D Realms made the 2 best FPS EVER in history of gaming: Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior.

Both games are fast, ask for good reflexes, are simple to play, have balanced and interesting weapons and items, and are a big blast in multiplayer mode (Much better than Quake, Unreal, Counter Strike or anything else that's "cool" today). Their level editor is also quite easy to use if you want to do simple levels, and it gets more complex only if you want to do more complex levels.

The only FPS to get close to them is Serious Sam, but I didn't play Serious Sam that much to be able to tell how good it is. I also didn't try Serious Sam multiplayer mode, so I can't compare it with Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior multiplayer mode.

It's unusual to see me praising an FPS, but I really enjoy those 2 games. If you never played any of those 2 games, give it a try (Except Twistin Ghost and Akira, who I know wouldn't try them even if God recommended them ) . Behind the crude graphics for today standards, hides the best FPSs ever done IMHO.

Oh, regarding speed issues on Duke 3D... I once made a level for it that CRAWLED in my P233. In my mate's Duron 800 it runned in just an ACCEPTABLE speed, not at full speed. I had to edit it a lot to make it run in a decent speed, and it ended up being a lot different of what I wanted to do.
Old 10 April 2003, 06:23   #24
staticgerbil

How come there is soooo much talk of great fps games and no mention of GLOOM!

This could quite possibly be my favourite. It was brilliant multiplayer with a couple 1200's.

Watch out for those angry skinheads
Old 10 April 2003, 07:43   #25
th4t1guy

Quote:
How come there is soooo much talk of great fps games and no mention of GLOOM!
Quite possibly (maybe I'm the only one who thinks this?) because Gloom was crap. The only fps I thought was good on the Amiga was Alien Breed 3d. Despite the chunky gfx, I played that one to the end, and actually jumped out of my chair a few times.
Old 10 April 2003, 08:14   #26
staticgerbil

Doh! Your probably right.

Oh well. I tried.

Just out of curiosity did anyone ever play the non-aga version of gloom?
Old 10 April 2003, 08:50   #27
staticgerbil

Was Genetic Species good?

I only played a demo once but i think i was impressed with that. I think some magazines were to?
Old 10 April 2003, 09:00   #28
kriz

yeah Genetic Species is very nice, its out for free on aminet now (if you havent tried it) ... Absolutely recomended, it got some very special features too (not just standard doom fps ...) You can morph into the enemy, and actually become the enemy ...
Old 10 April 2003, 09:09   #29
staticgerbil

I knew that one was good

I'll download me a copy now.