English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 11 July 2003, 20:28   #1
IanMac

Links to .adf in Hol?

It personally takes me a while to find adf's of some games - and the places i can get these from seem to be declining all the time. As HOL is easily the biggest database of amiga games around - wouldn't it be good to eventually try and link .adf file downloads from HOL?
Or would this be impossible due to bandwidth etc (or whatever determines how much a site can download to people from, i'm not too computer literate )
Old 11 July 2003, 22:30   #2
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
Yes, hosting all the games of the zone requires bandwidth.

But I have got an idea, maybe it's crazy, but I like it! Listen to this: every member of the board can easily and freely have 20 mb of web space at his ISP. So every member of the board can put on his space some ADFs... If everyone puts different ADFs we have a big, distributed server with a lot of games!

For example, in my space games from "aaa" to "ast". Cody from "ast" to "bae", twistin from "bae" to "cad", blackcornflake only sensible soccer... What can you say about?
Old 12 July 2003, 01:07   #3
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Incomparabile
Yes, hosting all the games of the zone requires bandwidth.

But I have got an idea, maybe it's crazy, but I like it! Listen to this: every member of the board can easily and freely have 20 mb of web space at his ISP. So every member of the board can put on his space some ADFs... If everyone puts different ADFs we have a big, distributed server with a lot of games!

For example, in my space games from "aaa" to "ast". Cody from "ast" to "bae", twistin from "bae" to "cad", blackcornflake only sensible soccer... What can you say about?
Possible, but a bit tricky...
I suggesto to use the EAB FTP with a kind of "firewall" to prevent leeching from some lamer... I don't know if it's possible but... find a way to download for example a maximum of 3 files a day for each person...
Old 12 July 2003, 01:19   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

I personally hope that HOL stays just a DB of information.

Although it probably wouldn't happen, I wouldn't want HOL to get shutdown by some over anxious pencil pushing copyright lawyer.
Old 12 July 2003, 01:32   #5
IFW

No it would be reported by some jelaous/selfish person/zealot first, shutduwn only would come after that.
I suggest you read carefully your isp contract regarding public use of your websapce and the fines associated with copyright infringement/damage/costs. And then remember your isp has your banking details.
Old 12 July 2003, 02:33   #6
Amiga1992

NO LINKS TO ADFS ON THE HOL

This could jeopardize the integrity and future of the database. It's just asking for trouble.

The HOL is a database of games and it';s not intended as a place to L33CH 4M33G4 57UFF
Old 12 July 2003, 11:45   #7
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
NO LINKS TO ADFS ON THE HOL

This could jeopardize the integrity and future of the database. It's just asking for trouble.

The HOL is a database of games and it';s not intended as a place to L33CH 4M33G4 57UFF
Well, I've thought a lot with this, and finally I went to a decision:

I agree with AKIRA. Now the main goal to HOL is to be the best database in the world for all amiga games. End. Don't ruin all this effort (effort of EVERYONE involved) with this stupid thing that can quickly force HOL to close (well, it's not so stupid, but ISDA is! ). I know that links not directly involved with this server should be safe, but in any case, we'll provide to make the other sites disappear (and this can be only the first step, God knows how could be happen after this...), and this is NOT our philosophy...

If you are searching something rare, certainly someone will be so kind to post it in The Zone...

No, leave HOL as is, please...
Old 12 July 2003, 11:56   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Hosting of ADFs or links to them will never happen on the HOL!
Old 12 July 2003, 13:32   #9
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
I have not any problem finding ADFs, and I must admit that HOL was born as a database, not as a stupid roms site. It was just a idea, not tied to the HOL. Don't you like it? I do. And I don't believe that ISPs loose their time looking for ADFs in the folders of their customers And it's impossible to leech, cause there are too many servers But, again, out there are already ADFs, there are P2P programs, there are IRC servers... If you have bandwidth, you also have games.
Old 13 July 2003, 16:28   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

Adf sites come & go-I'd rather a DB site where I'd have a chance to research & find the name of what I'm looking for-I'm with Akira, Cody etc., keep the men-in-suits & their dreaded bots as far away as possible.
Old 14 July 2003, 04:18   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

After all, you can't download mpegs or divx files of movies from IMDb, right? Information is all we offer at HOL. Also, it's not specifically an emulation site, so keep that in mind.
Old 14 July 2003, 09:42   #12
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
After all, you can't download mpegs or divx files of movies from IMDb, right? Information is all we offer at HOL. Also, it's not specifically an emulation site, so keep that in mind.
You can watch trailers at IMDB, so a demo of the game could be a solution. But I don't think it's worth it. Better to have some review of the games and mayby the scoring from diff mags.
Old 15 July 2003, 11:31   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
You can watch trailers at IMDB, so a demo of the game could be a solution. But I don't think it's worth it. Better to have some review of the games and mayby the scoring from diff mags.
True, but unless I am mistaken, those trailers are hosted by commercial sites (Video Pipeline, etc.) Likewise, IMDb itself is a commercial site (in that it contains what is, most likely, expensive advertisements on its pages) and the money generated helps to diffuse the bandwidth. Whilst disks may not be downloadable from HOL, it is more than made up for by the absence of advertisements.
Old 15 July 2003, 15:16   #14
mtb

For games that are legally downloadable it could be good imo.

For example, for let's say Zool, a link to the home of bttr ( and the same for the whdload version if it's legally downloadable ); for Soccer Kid a link to the site where it's hosted, for Apidya whdload a link to ... .So it would be possible to have a list of legal downloads. ( a partial list of sites here ).

If they are legally downloadable, there should be no problem for hol.
Old 15 July 2003, 15:49   #15
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by mtb
For games that are legally downloadable it could be good imo.

For example, for let's say Zool, a link to the home of bttr ( and the same for the whdload version if it's legally downloadable ); for Soccer Kid a link to the site where it's hosted, for Apidya whdload a link to ... .So it would be possible to have a list of legal downloads. ( a partial list of sites here ).

If they are legally downloadable, there should be no problem for hol.
I don't think bttr would like to be leech through HOL. If people want games they can find it diff places (privat-ftp, edonkey/emule, alt.binaries.emulators.amiga and a lot of other places) So if someone wants a game they must "work" for it... This is easy for must games, and if its not then make a request here..
Old 15 July 2003, 15:58   #16
mtb

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
I don't think bttr would like to be leech through HOL.
My idea was to insert a link to the home page of the site, not to the game itself. I don't see any problems.
Old 15 July 2003, 23:12   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

This would be a maintenance nightmare as links often change and the HOL team would be chasing the validity of the links all the time, which would mean broken links...something we vehemently despise. Most links from other sites to specific games on BTTR that I have clicked on usually end up directing me to their front page anyway, so their internal linking must undergo changes as well. Google already exists, so I cannot imagine someone not being able to find legal downloads. The HOL team's time is better spent researching and updating the data portions of HOL than duplicating the same links a search engine could produce.
Old 16 July 2003, 02:56   #18
Amiga1992

mtb, that's what Jambo is there for.

The fact here is that you can find an ADF even if you are a total shmuck. Well, is not IanMac's case it seems, but I digress...

Adding ADF links to the HOL is way unnecessary IMO, and it might bring troubles, even for those that are legal, so why add more problems to what already is a colossal helluva job?

I don't even see demo links on Gracenote's CDDB. And that's one of my favorite sites.
Old 16 July 2003, 13:59   #19
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

See this is the job for my games archive, HOL is purely information.

Also try this while you are at it -

http://atomnet.co.uk/amiga/dir?game=

And then write the game name after the = sign. i.e. Flashback or whatever, but note it is case sensitive.

As was already said, this could damage HOL's integrity, which you wouldnt want to happen, where as I have no integrity so its not a problem
Old 16 July 2003, 16:20   #20
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by NightShade737
See this is the job for my games archive, HOL is purely information.

Also try this while you are at it -

http://atomnet.co.uk/amiga/dir?game=

And then write the game name after the = sign. i.e. Flashback or whatever, but note it is case sensitive.

As was already said, this could damage HOL's integrity, which you wouldnt want to happen, where as I have no integrity so its not a problem
I get this message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /amiga/AmiGames////W/ on this server.

Integrity......

You should have made this link, then it works http://atomnet.co.uk/index.php