English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 June 2012, 11:27   #1481
roy bates

it is probably more than likely thats its either a timing problem or that using the higher modes makes the problem more apparent due to the custum chips individuel tolerances on each individuel motherboard.

im leaning towards a combination of both.

EDIT:but at the same time im wondering why there is a need to push the chipset to its absolute limit for display purposes.

Last edited by roy bates; 11 June 2012 at 12:12.
Old 11 June 2012, 12:49   #1482
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
ive found fblit on mine causes corruption on screen when opening and closing windows,even with a gfx card.(even without any sort of scandoubler or flickerfixer let alone an indi)
How were you loading fblit? The reason I ask is that I used to load it by calling it in the start-up sequence, and I had exactly the same sort of issues.

Thinking that I couldn't be the only person having these problems I Googled the issue and found that someone had written a blog entry about it. They solved it by simply putting fblit in their Workbench start-up folder. They were puzzled as to how that solved the problem, but they said it did.

Deciding I had nothing to lose I did the same and I've not experienced any fblit related graphics corruption since.

Hope this helps!
Old 11 June 2012, 13:02   #1483
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
How were you loading fblit? The reason I ask is that I used to load it by calling it in the start-up sequence, and I had exactly the same sort of issues.

Thinking that I couldn't be the only person having these problems I Googled the issue and found that someone had written a blog entry about it. They solved it by simply putting fblit in their Workbench start-up folder. They were puzzled as to how that solved the problem, but they said it did.

Deciding I had nothing to lose I did the same and I've not experienced any fblit related graphics corruption since.

Hope this helps!

thats right i was using it from startup in the startup sequence along with ftext and another programme i cant remember at the moment.
Old 11 June 2012, 15:05   #1484
gibs
Banned

When I found Fblit as workaround a few days ago, it was because of my "Multi-Startup-Sequence" (See my video).
So Fblit was efficient from the startup-sequence or executed from the Workbench.
Old 11 June 2012, 19:42   #1485
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
just want to let everyone know that this whole week I'll be out of office for the ANGA Cable show in Cologne, Germany - presentation of the Nequester residential gatway. I'll be back on Amiga stuff on tuesday or wednesday next week.

Jens
Well, then lucky to sell or introduce any of your not Amiga related products

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 June 2012 at 21:26.
Old 11 June 2012, 20:07   #1486
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Hi, I have question regarding the Indivision AGA MK2. My goal is to hook my A1200 up to a HDTV via the HMDI port. Will the ouput be 50 hertz? I'm really looking to have smooth scrolling for gaming. Also what would the Amiga's low resoultion mode be scalled to in order to be visible on the HD? Sorry for the dumb questions. Any info would be helpful.

Main reason I ask is because the discription on AmigaKit states "output is always over 60Hz and flicker-free".

Last edited by lordofchaos; 11 June 2012 at 20:14.
Old 11 June 2012, 22:31   #1487
kipper2k

One thing i think worth mentioning is the options for cooling, There is a method of cooling the ACA1230 without the need of fans... for those of you that are curious take a look at the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
Old 12 June 2012, 00:03   #1488
amigarlz

@gibs

Sorry for the blähblähbläh but this thread start to be a war and a mix of motherboards revs, due to this mix there is not a fix or solutions and people enter here for solutions.

Nothing against you or your fixings but sometimes this thread is a hell.
Old 12 June 2012, 00:05   #1489
Mr B

A TEC isn't magic. You need to be able to transfer more heat away with the TEC in place, then you need without it. The advantage is that you can, if your capable to keep the TEC cool, reach lower then ambient temperature. If your not going to nitpic about details, you can guesstimate that the TEC adds another 50% heat that has to go somewhere. That is, if you select a TEC that can just chill your heatsource to ambient levels.
What sort of effectiveness you actually end up with depends on what current you feed it. Usually "we" power TEC's at 12v, but they are rated at 15v, going lower means they transfer less heat, but they are actually more effective. Meaning you get more for what you put in. Less then theoretical capacity, but more for every W used by the TEC to do the job.
(By "we", i added to groups together, aquarium owners and PC overclockers. I sort of belong to both.)

B!
Old 12 June 2012, 04:54   #1490
melbourneben!

I dont have an indivision installed or any other kind of flickerfixer but when my Miggy gets hot I sometime see vertical graphical glitches when playing CPU Intensive games like Boom.

I have a 1D4 motherboard (no mods), KS 3.1 and an ACA 1231/42.

I can't always replicate the problem, it only seems to happen when I've had the miggy turned on for a while and using it lots. I could play demo's for hours and wouldn't see the glitches.
Old 12 June 2012, 08:05   #1491
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
A TEC isn't magic. You need to be able to transfer more heat away with the TEC in place, then you need without it. The advantage is that you can, if your capable to keep the TEC cool, reach lower then ambient temperature. If your not going to nitpic about details, you can guesstimate that the TEC adds another 50% heat that has to go somewhere. That is, if you select a TEC that can just chill your heatsource to ambient levels.
What sort of effectiveness you actually end up with depends on what current you feed it. Usually "we" power TEC's at 12v, but they are rated at 15v, going lower means they transfer less heat, but they are actually more effective. Meaning you get more for what you put in. Less then theoretical capacity, but more for every W used by the TEC to do the job.
(By "we", i added to groups together, aquarium owners and PC overclockers. I sort of belong to both.)

B!

i dont know weither you would agree or not but here goes.if anyone here uses one of these they have to be aware that they can generate condensation and use alot more power at 12 volts to be effecient.and you would still need a heatsink and fan on the other end due to the way they work.

EDIT:as for the indi maybe a firmware update is all thats needed to fix most peaples problems.

Last edited by roy bates; 12 June 2012 at 10:46.
Old 12 June 2012, 12:01   #1492
Mr B

Quote:
i dont know weither you would agree or not but here goes.if anyone here uses one of these they have to be aware that they can generate condensation and use alot more power at 12 volts to be effecient.
I really don't know what sort of energy has to be cooled away from the Indivision, or the chips in the Amiga, but typically, you "over shoot" by a lot, to get well below ambient temps, in theory as low as 70c below ambient. Anything below 0c would form not only condensation, but ice crystals, and flood the thing once you turn it of. Below ambient, to 0c has a real risk of condensation. It's a real issue your pointing at, we agree wholeheartedly, i just didn't mention it, seeing as i find it very unrealistic that anyone would use one at all... It's just not the right tool here, even if it is a nifty bit of tec(h).
Quote:
and you would still need a heatsink and fan on the other end due to the way they work.
Larger heatsink, and fan in reality. You could aim for a higher then optimal temp on the jot side, but that means you lose efficiency. It's just bulky, cumbersome, and impractical to use a TEC in the Amiga.
B!
Old 12 June 2012, 16:15   #1493
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Ahem. I`ll get my coat. (shuffles away slowly)
Old 13 June 2012, 01:18   #1494
NovaCoder

My findings so far:

I'm using Kipper's HDMI to DVI on a BenQ 21.5" HD PC Monitor. The quality picture is fantastic.

HighGFX modes (at least the 1280x720 which is the only one I've tried) cause the graphical glitches and seem total random. The new SuperPlus 800x600 mode is fine though, no issues at all so far.

I've also noticed some problems with demos which switch screen modes as the Indy2 doesn't seem to be able to keep up.

I'm sure when Jen's finally releases the core update these issues will all be resolved.
Old 13 June 2012, 01:27   #1495
gibs
Banned

So, I'm the only one that doesn't experience glitches in 720P ?
Old 13 June 2012, 01:28   #1496
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

So Nova do you think that IC won't make the "core update" updated but to work in boards without the necessary Timing Fix? So, half of what it can do?

Edit: Btw, have you tried after two-three hours with Superplus to move in the screen the "Run" icon that all (I think) the CWB packs have? Although, I believe this is a thing that perhaps can be fixed with the update.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 June 2012 at 01:36.
Old 13 June 2012, 01:40   #1497
amigarlz

@retrofan

I dont think a core update make miracles, mk1 have the same glitches with highgfx modes and after the updates the glitches still there.
Old 13 June 2012, 02:00   #1498
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
So, I'm the only one that doesn't experience glitches in 720P ?
Gibs sorry but you are not alone

Hey man did you get my PMs?
Old 13 June 2012, 06:57   #1499
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Hi, I have question regarding the Indivision AGA MK2. My goal is to hook my A1200 up to a HDTV via the HMDI port. Will the ouput be 50 hertz? I'm really looking to have smooth scrolling for gaming.
At this point, 50Hz output is not available. It will only be available with the forthcoming configtool. Also, not all TVs support 50Hz modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Also what would the Amiga's low resoultion mode be scalled to in order to be visible on the HD?
Indivision never scales. It only converts scanrates. If there is any scaling visible, then it's done by the monitor/TV.

Jens
Old 13 June 2012, 08:15   #1500
bbond007

Managed to get the RF modulator removed and got my kipper2k HDMI port installed.

I don't have it connected yet because I don't have a monitor that works with the DVI, so right now I need to use the VGA until the new core is ready...

I tested out the HDMI speaker connections and they did work, however I needed to run a separate ground wire to the RCA jacks. I'm guessing once the HDMI connector is connected to the Indivision it will have grounding, or should I ground the HDMI adapter as well? This may be caused because I put a few strips of electrical tape under under the bolts because I did not like how close the head of one was getting to a surface mount components on my MB version...

My next question is if both cables(the one that came with the Indivision and the one that came with the kipper2k) are compatible. Meaning, can I use the longer cable that came with the Indivision with the kipper2k HDMI port? I just have too much stuff getting in the way and need a longer cable.

BTW everything is super nice quality kit! Thanks!

Last edited by bbond007; 13 June 2012 at 08:23.