English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 March 2015, 23:00   #41
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

This looks good. I look forward to playing the finished product
Old 14 August 2015, 00:44   #42
amigapd

There was a preview of this game mentioned in this months "Retro Game" which contains a link to this thread so I thought I had better provide an update - the aim was to have the final game available for release at the end of July - this didn't happen due to me getting distracted by making Kingdoms of Steam - which is a shoot em up made with reality.

With regard to Dylan the Spaceman - I plan to amend the outcome of the puzzle which frees Robot Five (all makes sense when you watch the game intro) and end the game at this point. This will enable a siginificant playable version to be released hopefully in the next couple of weeks- the last part of the game involves flying to Mars and capturing the evil Alien - This part may take a bit longer to complete as I also want to help push along Grahams latest Maxwell game by helping to produce some background tiles.

For more updates and pictures of the game please visit our facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/amigapd
Old 14 September 2015, 23:18   #43
amigapd

Dylan the Spaceman and the Smelly Aliens from Mars - WIP

After a very long wait - attached is a demo version for the Amiga 1200 and possibly Amiga 600 of Dylan the Spaceman and the Smelly Aliens from Mars - a dizzy clone game. There will be an Amiga 500 version but I need to change the in game music to a tune provided by the talented Simone Bernacchia which I hope to upload this coming weekend.

The game is made with Reality and ends when you find Robot 5 (all will make sense when you watch the intro)- the full game would include obtaining items to board an alien space ship to fly to mars where you capture the evil Alien mastermind -

To enter a door move towards it and place fire - you also press to pick up an item and to talk to the in game characters.

The game has hit a buffer for two reasons - firstly lack of free time (to create some extra graphics for the space section) and secondly a bit of a creative block regarding puzzles for the last section -

The game has been made using the Reality game creative software with the adventure skeleton disk - this is without doubt the best of the skeleton disks I have tried followed by the shoot em up disk (see my other game Kingdoms of Steam )

Anyway hope you enjoy the demo in its current state.

With regard to when the final version will be available - I am unsure - I really want to help Graham with his Maxwell game which is mainly being held up over graphics as the puzzles / story and game engine are all in place.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dylandemo2.zip (443.3 KB, 325 views)
Old 15 September 2015, 00:29   #44
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@amigapd

Got an annoying problem where if i got burn on the fire pit Dylan respawn in the same point, is something that can be fix?
Old 15 September 2015, 00:56   #45
amigapd

I ve been to the fire pit and walked into it 3 times and each time I was either respawn on the previous screen or next to the fire without dying - you know you need to find the spell to cast rain clouds to put out the fires to walk over?
Old 16 September 2015, 21:06   #46
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Any news about the A500 version, amigapd?
Old 16 September 2015, 22:43   #47
amigapd

Attached are two ADFs which should work on an Amiga 500 - unfortunately I don't own an Amiga 500 anymore and my Amiga 600 has died on me so I can't test them on real hardware and have to rely on Winuae -

The Amiga 1 meg version should work on a standard Amiga 500 it has music provided by Simone Bernacchia who did a great job producing a tune with tight memory constaints.

The other version has the smallest music file I could find which fitted the mood of the game and I think may enable the game to work on an unexpanded Amiga 500.

Overall there are now three versions with 3 different music files -would be interested to know which tune people prefer

The Amiga 1200 version
The Amiga 500 1 meg version
The Amiga 500 version
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dylandemo500.zip (432.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: zip Dylandemo500_1MEG.zip (430.6 KB, 291 views)
Old 17 September 2015, 00:24   #48
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Thanks, mate! I will run them on my real hardware and come back with the feedback. Hang on!

EDIT1: OK, here's the feedback. Tested on real hardware.

The first version you uploaded above, aimed at 1MB A500, crashes even with 1MB of RAM. Does exactly as the previous version did. The game loads fine, the intro unfolds completely but when the game music starts, it crashes back to the CLI.

The one marked as 512kb friendly works very well on a 1MB A500. The game is great, very playable and professional looking and the only thing I could wish for would be an option to use the second button to jump instead of "up". I hope you get to finish the game some day, it's really good.

However, this version crashes on a 512kb A500. It crashes right after the intro music starts. Both my Amigas are rev.6 boards (ECS Agnus blitter and standard Denise). Both have 1MB but I disabled the RAM expansion on my original one to try your game in it. I also copied it to a real floppy because my original Amiga doesn't have a Gotek (nor will it ever have). I'm saying this because the transition to the floppy may (or many not) have something to do with it not working.

Hope I could have been of help, somehow. Many thanks for the working version, though! It allowed me to, finally, test this on my real A500 (which is always much more enjoyable than UAE).

EDIT2: Odd. The 1MB version worked well on my original Amiga with the expansion turned back on. It must not like the Gotek drive, then.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 17 September 2015 at 00:57.
Old 17 September 2015, 01:40   #49
amigapd

Thanks for testing - it may be the game requires at least 1 meg to run - would be interested to know which in game tune you liked best.
Old 17 September 2015, 02:07   #50
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Personally, I think they're all cool and all of them fit the game well. My personal preference, though, is this:

1st: the original 2MB version
2nd: the 1MB version
3rd: the 512kb version

I would sacrifice the best music for a 1MB version, though, just so I could load it up on an Amiga 500.
Old 17 September 2015, 02:14   #51
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@AmigaPD

Look like you don't have put the latest version of the music (maybe by error), am going to put it up on the zone;
Old 17 September 2015, 02:18   #52
amigapd

Thanks Saimon - I will try to convert the music to the required format and amend the ADF and re post

Update - Thanks for the message - I ve just downloaded the latest music file and listened to it and I really like the improvements.

Last edited by amigapd; 17 September 2015 at 02:28.
Old 17 September 2015, 08:38   #53
Graham Humphrey

Played this last night - really very enjoyable and clearly a lot of fun to put together. Love the Maxwell section! Got a bit stuck with the lava but it seems I have the solution now Will see how far I get tonight.

Graphically I think it's really good and can't wait to see Maxwell with some brand new graphics.
Old 17 September 2015, 10:24   #54
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Just played the 1MB version. This is really good and professional-looking. There was some graphical glitching in odd places, but I think this is most likely due to the version of FS-UAE running on my mac. I'll try it on real hardware and see how I get on.

Keep up the excellent work

EDIT:
Completed the demo on my A1200T 040/25. Ran perfectly. In fact, there were some graphics missing from this version when using FS-UAE, so it was even better on the real hardware. It's quite a fun action/adventure game, with a bit of humour thrown in for good measure. Looking forward to the full version
Just one thing.... Any chance that the 2nd fire button could be used for 'Jump'? My Sega Gamepad is not too hot at responding to 'Up-for-jump'. Thanks.

Last edited by LuMan; 17 September 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Update