English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 September 2009, 23:01   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Prb with Worms CD32

Hi,

I cannot play Worm's Director's Cut CD32 with WinUAE.
At first, I thought I was a problem with emulation, but now I wonder if this has not something to do with the game protection.

First, the exact TOSEC name of the ISO :
Worms (1995)(Ocean - Team 17)(M3)[!][cp code]

This Worms game is called Worms - the Director's Cut.

I have taken the codes from a post here on EAB, and they seem to make the game main title screen load (but may be they're not the right ones, feel free to check).

I usually choose French, but I get the same error with English.
I then choose game start, and for example 'friendly'.
I choose two teams with the gamepad : 1up and Top Dog.

And then, just before the actual game loads : kaboom .
The screen "dissolves" just like
when I enter wrong manual codes
and there's a brief messages in the bottom corner :
HELL
or MARS
or JUNGLE
with a series of numbers
(I couldn't make a screenshot of this)

At this moment, the "CD32" resets.

There is a buil-in CD32 config. in WinUAE, so it should be easy to check if this issue is reproducible once you get the ISO.
Old 12 September 2009, 02:36   #2
NewDeli
Banned

Now I remember why I decided to give the Director's cut a go...

It's not a problem for me that on Team 17 site, not the freshest Worms version is offered for download but :
  • The codes are incomplete
  • The audio traxx are downsampled to 128k
  • The ISO wouldn't load in my virtual drive

(May be it would be interesting to resource this game from an original, since it seems to also be missing from TOSEC)

As for myself, I assume I can play with both/either WHDload versions since these CD32 versions seem to be excessively...how to say... crappy (let's stay polite ).

It seems from the ReadMe's that the dev. worked last minute on these, which don't bring in much anyway INMHO (gamepad support, the CD audio tracks, the dull short intro clips).

Now, I am a little confused because JOTD WHDload is called Worms, but loads the same screens as the CD32 Director's Cut version, and Psygore's loads (oh !... crashes actually, time for me to fill in a bug report ?) what seems to be the AGA Director's Cut version.

The conclusion is :
  • Only JOTD version seems to be fully playable
  • I only seem to find Director's Cut versions of this game

Since you've been nice reading all this, here is the working link to the fascinating (...) Wormtopedia.

Last edited by NewDeli; 12 September 2009 at 04:33.
Old 12 September 2009, 02:39   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

There is no Worms DC release for the CD32. It's mislabeled on several sites, however.
Old 12 September 2009, 03:12   #4
NewDeli
Banned

This is a screenshot of the CD32 game labeled :
Worms (1995)(Ocean - Team 17)(M3)[!][cp code]

You mean this is not the Director's Cut ?
Then who made this joke to write
*** The Director's Cut*** on the title screen ?!

Last edited by NewDeli; 12 September 2009 at 05:30.
Old 12 September 2009, 03:20   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have no clue. The DC was released on Disk in 1998. Maybe a custom CD32 version of the AGA disk version, who knows.

http://hol.abime.net/1781
Old 12 September 2009, 04:50   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
History repeats itself:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22769
Old 12 September 2009, 21:42   #7
[idoru]

If it's a codes problem, then the dats download on toseciso.org includes the codes for Worms CD32 (as well as Alien Breed 3D CD32 & Speris Legacy CD32), so maybe try those - they definitely match the original sheets as included with the game.
Old 12 September 2009, 22:31   #8
Muzer

Worms for Amiga was originally subtitled "The Director's Cut" by Andy Davidson himself. Quote from Dream17, the first and only Team17 fansite:

"As evidenced from the title screenshot we have of the game, Andy Davidson saw fit to add the subtitle "The Directors Cut" to the Amiga version of this original version. The reason for this is that Andy was largely in control of the Amiga and CD³² versions of the game, and added a few tweaks here and there prior to the release of the game. Thus, the Amiga version became the "Directors Cut" of the original Worms. A later version of the game, actually given the title Worms - The Directors Cut, was released, featuring all kinds of extra features and is effectively Worms 1.5."
Old 13 September 2009, 01:00   #9
NewDeli
Banned

Well, if you asked me, I'd say it's pretty confusing to have 2 Director's Cuts for the same game series.
May be they should have stick with the phun preprod title Total Wormage for the original Worms.

Please, someone to try this CD32 version* of the original Worms with WinUAE (or with a A1200).
This time, my setup (WinUAE config + virtual drive) should be relatively errorproof, so I dare to say there is definitely a problem emulating this title if I assume the rip is accurate.

@[idoru]
I checked the codes, they're identical and I trust the info from Gamebase Amiga to be correct anyway.

Oh, while I can speak to you direclty, could it be possible to move Fightin' Spirit from the Amiga CD to the Amiga CD32 category. The UG CD32/CDTV TOSEC torrent doesn't hold it and AFAIK, it's "more" a CD32 game than a CD game, if such things as hybrid CD32/CD games would exist.

@R-N
To play Worms - The Director's Cut (the real one) from a CD32 (expanded, preferably) or from WinUAE, I was lucky enough to download this
nicely crafted Team17 best of ISO made by Tony Landais, and offered to download by TheBoss (sorry, if I put some more burden on his FTP , may be it could be transferred to EAB File Server, just a thought).
Just make sure, you tweak a bit the CD32 quickconfig to mimick a CD32 + SX ii since it takes advantage of WHDload install capabilities.

* Don't waste time with the one Dream 17 uploaded, PM me for links if you need any.

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 September 2009 at 07:47.
Old 13 September 2009, 02:20   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nah!! Psygore's WHDLoad patch for the official AGA disk DC is enough for me. I have no use for custom made CD32 games
Old 13 September 2009, 10:58   #11
[idoru]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
@[idoru]
I checked the codes, they're identical and I trust the info from Gamebase Amiga to be correct anyway.

Oh, while I can speak to you direclty, could it be possible to move Fightin' Spirit from the Amiga CD to the Amiga CD32 category. The UG CD32/CDTV TOSEC torrent doesn't hold it and AFAIK, it's "more" a CD32 game than a CD game, if such things as hybrid CD32/CD games would exist.
They should be identical codes if they were both taken from original codesheets :P

As for Fightin' Spirit, the disc is marked "Amiga CD ROM", and the game works on both Amiga & Amiga CD32 so neither are 100% correct placement but it's in Amiga CD section as that is mentioned more times than Amiga CD32 on the artwork/disc/manual. Same deal with some of the other neo games like Black Viper/Cedric.
Old 13 September 2009, 11:14   #12
Muzer

Anyone tried the ISO on here:
http://www.dream17.co.uk/softography...27&s=downloads

Dream17 are the only site with permission to host Team17's Amiga games, so this is also the only legal one
Old 13 September 2009, 11:53   #13
NewDeli
Banned

@[idoru]
thanks for making that clear.
May I propose a new definition of Amiga CDs :
Those games which would load AmigaDOS when loaded from a CD32 .

If you cannot load them from a CD32, it means they are Amiga CDs. Simple .

The reason for that is because the 2nd torrent (the one with AmigaCDs) holds games which usually needs some steps before playing (installation, most notably).

As one of the best VS fighting game on the Amiga, I think it would gain a better exposure in the other category, although I agree it's not a black or white situation.

@Muzer
Read the beginning of my #2 post, this rip seems pretty broken. I can make a quick upload if you can't get hold of the torrent, just PM me thanks.
Old 13 September 2009, 11:54   #14
viddi

I can confirm that the shown title screen isn´t a homebrew version.

I checked my original copy of the CD32 version and it´s the same.
Old 13 September 2009, 17:32   #15
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I have tested Worms CD32 on winuae 2.0.0 beta 14 quickstart config CD32 and it works.
Old 13 September 2009, 17:49   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

There are games that refuse to work if there is now audio tracks, so some iso & mp3 releases.

I would hazard a guess that is why your version isn't working
Old 13 September 2009, 18:01   #17
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i use a version with audio tracks, and it works GREAT.
Old 13 September 2009, 18:25   #18
Ian
Global Moderator

Don't mind me I got my wires crossed.

Anyway, Worms from the TOSEC dat does indeed work. Deleauvive did you enable max compatibility?
Old 13 September 2009, 18:33   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

He told me he used quickstart CD32 BUT he still uses 1.6.1 and 1.4.6. It's up to him to use winuae 2.0.0 beta 14 which works
Old 14 September 2009, 00:24   #20
NewDeli
Banned

Ah the sweet sounds of propaganda .
Well, for those who "knew" I was wrong, you may stop reading from this point on, I could make the game work with the Quickconfig and the latest beta of WinUAE v2.

I think the cycle exact option did the trick . I assume it is changing to incorporate less A500 and more A1200 cycling emulation when CPU is set to 020.

OK, a bit of trivia :
  • The floppy version of Worms I also displays ***Director's Cut***
  • The CD32 version features an intro with short (& a bit ugly) 3D movies, CD soundtrack, and gamepad support; I believe no other enhancements were made
  • The DOS versions naming was way more logical :
    Worms, its addon Worms+, then Worms United (Worms + Worms+), assuming the French biggest abandonware site datasheet is correct

So, here is another (the last ) request aimed at [idoru] :
It would be nice not to have that Director's cut mention all over the file names. If you're new to Worms on the Amiga, you would not know what the heck is that version they made 2 years later since it shares the exact same name.

We can discuss over the alleged fact that they "nearly" called it Worms 1.5, but it didn't happen, same with Worms I, which is simply designated as Worms in the HoL.

I won't post or share my "Worms" config (CD32 Quickconfig + CD32 Medieval Host settings ) here, since cycle exact needs a very powerful computer (Toni's words). Yeah, I am kind of ducking criticism, but having that many CD32 titles play fine from v1.4.6 brings me some sort of self-satisfactory contempt .