English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 October 2008, 01:30   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Best gaming platform (PC, DC, PS2,wii) if you have a few hundred bucks to spend

Hi,

Following the discussion started on the "what did you buy today" thread with alexh & anubis, I propose this subject :

Between a PC, a Dreamcast, a Playstation II, a wii, which is in your opinion the best gaming platform to go for, provided you had a few hundred bucks at your disposal, and are not fully satisfied with your current main console / computer.

Why not include the PS III or the XboX 360 ? Well, anyone owning either is free to participate but I think that in order to understanding how to have someone make up his mind, and delimiting the target market between those 2 "blockbusters" today is more relevant if you're in the shoes of a marketing expert than in those of a retro-gaming enthusiast.
Old 14 October 2008, 01:48   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Why not include the PS III or the XboX 360 ?
Why not include the original Xbox though?

...or even the 3DO, FM Marty, Philips CDi, Neo-Geo, Sega Saturn and possibly others
Old 14 October 2008, 02:10   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

PS3 cuz I have one and I actually play on it daily

XBOX was cool too as it was modded!

Errr I never had a PS2 until recently (My new missus has a pink one !!) but I have not booted it hahahaha
Old 14 October 2008, 02:45   #4
pkillo

The Wii is a good choice, I think, not because of the difference in the controllers (which are great, btw) but because of the types of games. They are far more likely to be played time and time again and appeal to more people, if you go in for the ones that really take advantage of the control style. I still play Excite Truck, a year and a half after I bought it, and TW's Golf is always a favorite, for example.

It's nice to have a game system that everyone likes to play. Joystick and gamepad games just don't appeal to many people. If I'm playing Wii and some people come over, everyone will enjoy joining in. That's why I say it's good if you will have only one system. If you are a gaming nut, you probably have several, so Wii can just be one of the choices, but it definitely distinguishes itself from the rest.
Old 14 October 2008, 03:24   #5
Harrison
classicamiga.com

It completely depends on the type of games you wish to play and how much time you have.

If you have the attention span of a gold fish and think like a woman then the Wii is perfect.

If you love long RPGs (60 hours+) with some great storylines and combat systems then you can't beat the PS2.

If you want to experience some of the best gameplay and innovation then get a Dreamcast.

If you love strategy, FPS or online games then go for a PC.

Each system offers enough difference in the genres they excel at to make them all worth owning at the same time.
Old 14 October 2008, 07:47   #6
Graham Humphrey

I think the Wii is brilliant, I don't own one myself yet but I've played on one plenty of times and it's fantastic fun. And you can't beat having a laugh and a good time with your friends and that's what it's (mainly) about for me.
Old 14 October 2008, 08:02   #7
john4p
Competition Moderator

For retrogaming get a PC because you can emulate almost every gaming system that was made before 2000.

You can also emulate the Dreamcast. nullDC 1.0.3 is pretty much perfect: I've just completed "Resident Evil Code Veronica" and am currently playing "Bio Hazard Code Veronica Complete" in order to see the additional cutscenes.

The Wii has the best version of "Resident Evil 4" and you can play the Gamecube exclusive "Resident Evil" and "Resident Evil Zero" on it as well as quite a few other great Cube-titles like "Eternal Darkness". Add "Zelda: Twilight Princess" and that's about it.

The PS2 can be emulated using PCSX2 - but this emulator is still very incomplete. Currently you need a PS2 in order to enjoy this massive PS2-library of games.
I need to get me a (modded) PS2 because I've sadly missed out on the "Devil May Cry"-series, the "Onimusha"-series and the "God of War"-series.

My ranking would be:
1. PC
2. PS2
3. Wii
4. Dreamcast (although it's great, you don't need it anymore because of nullDC)
Old 14 October 2008, 08:50   #8
amiga

To me, the best gaming platform remains the Commodore 64.
No other computer or console after that got the excellent playability that the C64 games had!
Old 14 October 2008, 09:16   #9
keropi

between those choises I would go for the PS2 and then the DC.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:21   #10
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I don't like Wii, as it's only an expensive extension of Gamecube with remote controls. I know, Nintendo sells you "the experience" more than the hardware, but I'ld buy a Wii only when it will be under 100€. Anyway, I am not interested in Wii games - the only game I want to play is Fatal Frame 4, but I think I will never play it as it can't be played with joypad.
Wii can be nice if you already not have a Gamecube, but I think it's too expensive anyway.

BTW, I like both DC and PS2, and I like PC too as you can easily modify the save game file ....

@john4p
About nullDC... It works really so good? It may be interesting ...

Last edited by MazinKaesar; 14 October 2008 at 09:29.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:50   #11
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

PC - it can run emulators of almost all platforms! Then on top you can have some stunning graphics...

I also like to be able to play my music collection whilst retro gaming - since I have a good sound system and speakers...
Old 14 October 2008, 10:15   #12
keropi

yes, pc has emulators sure, and stunning gfx...
-BUT-
many excellent games simply do not exist there, native or by emu (and I am talking about PS2)
games like Gradius V , Maximo series, castlevania and other classic/retro feeling games are only for the original hardware...

personally, I have a beefed pc with a 8800GTX card and C2D8500 cpu, but I have next to it my Saturn and PS2.
Old 14 October 2008, 14:03   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
To me, the best gaming platform remains the Commodore 64.
No other computer or console after that got the excellent playability that the C64 games had!
It is shame that you choose that nick.

As for best gaming platform, until 1 year ago I would say 'never get xBox', but now with softmoded xBox I found my self mostly playing on xBox. That console is closest to PC with number of emulators and with option to play games from HD it is great platform - all from comfort of living room.

DC is another great console with great homebrew community. But DC's emulators lack in speed (for example DreamSNES) and no HD.

I have also rest of 6th generation of consoles just so that I can play exclusive titles.

Last time I updated my PC for gaming was about 4-5 years ago. It is expensive to keep up to date with PC hardware and software, so I just keep one old laptop for emulation and one day I might get some nice PC to play games of today, once they are retro.
Old 14 October 2008, 18:26   #14
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
It is expensive to keep up to date with PC hardware and software, [...]
Right ... ... I think I will update my PC some months after "Gothic 4" will be released
Old 14 October 2008, 18:51   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, tough question. If I had enough bucks I would go for DC and PS2, but the XBox and GC have some interesting titles too For the older systems I agree with john (maybe except the N64 for its controller ) that a PC is a nice platform to run them on (and you don't need an expensive system for that). If I had only money for one system (except the PC) I would choose the PS2.
Old 14 October 2008, 23:35   #16
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Hmm, tough question. If I had enough bucks I would go for DC and PS2, but the XBox and GC have some interesting titles too For the older systems I agree with john (maybe except the N64 for its controller ) that a PC is a nice platform to run them on (and you don't need an expensive system for that). If I had only money for one system (except the PC) I would choose the PS2.
PS2 is a good very choose now. It is not so expensive and you can buy many nice original games for a few coins!!!
Old 14 October 2008, 23:39   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
PS2 is a good very choose now. It is not so expensive and you can buy many nice original games for a few coins!!!
And it has some nice RPG's And you can also play old PS games
Old 14 October 2008, 23:43   #18
pkillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
I don't like Wii, as it's only an expensive extension of Gamecube with remote controls.
I bought my Wii in late 2006, play all the time, and I have yet to play any game on it that makes me hold the controller like a gamepad and just push buttons. the game pad arrows and buttons are really an afterthought.

I guess it depends on what games you play; you could go out and buy all games that are basically conventional nintendo-type games if you wanted, and then you are right that you might as well have a gamecube, but there are many good wii games that don't fit that style.

like graham posted earlier, it's a more social platform.
Old 14 October 2008, 23:48   #19
kriz

A modded wii Recomended....
Old 15 October 2008, 00:45   #20
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkillo View Post
I bought my Wii in late 2006, play all the time, and I have yet to play any game on it that makes me hold the controller like a gamepad and just push buttons. the game pad arrows and buttons are really an afterthought.

I guess it depends on what games you play; you could go out and buy all games that are basically conventional nintendo-type games if you wanted, and then you are right that you might as well have a gamecube, but there are many good wii games that don't fit that style.

like graham posted earlier, it's a more social platform.
I know, I know. I tried some Wii games but definitively I did not liked them, as I don't like NDS games: most of them look like the games made in flash you can play for free on the Internet, and I felt the remote controls uncomfortable. But it's just my view... consider I have a Gamecube, but I have no Nintendo classics like Zelda or Mario, I just have all Resident Evil games, Eternal Darkness and Super Robot Wars GC (but I think I will sell it as I will buy an Xobx360: the remake on this platform is better). I tired even Metroid Prime, and I liked the control system but not the game itself (too politically correct, as any other Nintendo game).

I know Wii is a social platform, but I don't like social gaming, I prefer to play videogames alone (in facts, I never play online!!!). I don't like Wii, but I don't hate it. Well, I hate Tecmo because released Fatal Frame 4 ONLY on Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
A modded wii Recomended....
Any console must be modded, as well to play import games!!!

Last edited by MazinKaesar; 15 October 2008 at 01:00.