English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 22 January 2013, 17:25   #21
osiris37

Yup, i'd tried these steps and the disk light on my reader flashes when its trying to boot so I'm sure that it's initially reading it. When I drop the config onto the FS-uae icon it boots up with a black screen and eventually crashes, i'm assuming it's probably something to do with my setup on the CF. So i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, do you guys mount a clean partition or an Amiga formatted one, mine has FFS and WB3.0 installed as a boot drive. Also is thetre any way to utilise the LED disks activity lights along the bottom like in winuae so I can see what the disk activity is?

Cheers

Old 22 January 2013, 17:50   #22
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

You say it "crashes" - does FS-UAE crash or does the emulated Amiga crash (guru)?

My CF is Amiga formatted, multiple partitions, FFS, WB 3.1 - from my real Amiga 500.
Old 22 January 2013, 20:32   #23
osiris37

Hi Mr_500, I have 2 CF cards, both with 2 equal partitions one for WB 3.0 and the other for progs, they are 1gb and 4gb capacity, they both work inside my A1200 and neither boot in FS-uae, the Card reader light flashes for about 1.5 mins and the screen is black throughout and then FS-uae just closes down. When I attach the reader My mac doesn't recognise the disk and wants to initialise it so I know that the issue isn't a recognisable mac partition, Diskutil has always shown the disk when I list the attached drives.

I'm wondering if the following is significant:
1. my A1200 is a stock model with 3.0 chips, but to format the CF I had to use the 3.1 install disk as the 3.0 install doesnt recognise the CF in HDtoolbox.
2. The file format on the CF is FFS, should I repartition it as a SFS?
3. Err... User error, although I've done all you mentioned above. (I don't think it's the case but you never know)

Cheers
S

Old 22 January 2013, 20:42   #24
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Posting FS-UAE.log after having tried to boot the disk (and after FS-UAE has shut down) is a good idea. You could also check the OS X system log and see if there's anything interesting printed to stdout when FS-UAE stops.
Old 22 January 2013, 20:42   #25
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris37 View Post
I'm wondering if the following is significant:
1. my A1200 is a stock model with 3.0 chips, but to format the CF I had to use the 3.1 install disk as the 3.0 install doesnt recognise the CF in HDtoolbox.
2. The file format on the CF is FFS, should I repartition it as a SFS?
3. Err... User error, although I've done all you mentioned above. (I don't think it's the case but you never know)
My Amiga 500 has A1200 3.0 ROMs and I used the 3.1 install disks too, so that isn't the problem. My partitions are FFS, so that isn't the problem either.

Maybe you can find out why FS-UAE closes. Check your OSX console logs and crash reports to see if it tells you anything.

Edit: ...as Frode said, while I was typing.
Old 23 January 2013, 00:09   #26
osiris37

Hi Guys, thanks for the help, the issue was the Config file, I still had some legacy entries from an original e-uae config that I was using and it was bugging out when it was trying access JIT, I had a *facepalm* moment and made a fresh config, it totally reads the CF card now.

Many thanks guys
Feeling a bit of a numpty now, but hey, it works

Old 03 February 2013, 13:16   #27
wizzo

On Mac OS X, whenever I add

hard_drive_0 = <path_to_disk>

to config options and close it, when I click back on config options, it is removed.

If I manually add hard_drive_0 = <path_to_disk> to the config file, FS-UAE crashes when I try to start the emulator. This is with an otherwise stock config file.

Old 03 February 2013, 14:23   #28
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

If you add hard_drive_0 in "custom options" in FS-UAE Launcher, it will work, but it will not reappear there since there is a GUI control for this option. You should be able to see <path_to_disk> if you switch to the hard drives tab.

You haven't posted a log file, so I'll have to guess: You have not permissions to open the device, and FS-UAE aborts because of this (note to self: try to open file early in the boot process and print GUI warning if the hard drive cannot be opened).
Old 03 February 2013, 15:38   #29
wizzo

When I go to the hard drive configuration window, /dev/disk1 does not appear no matter how many times I stick hard_drive_0 = /dev/disk1 in custom config.

/dev/disk1 is read/writeable.

After I try to add it, FS-UAE will crash at launch.

Logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs.zip (6.3 KB, 171 views)

Old 03 February 2013, 15:57   #30
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

OK, yes it appears my information was wrong, and you cannot type hard_drive_0 = something in custom options in FS-UAE Launcher (I'll remove the restriction in the next version).

Regarding the crash, please attach a FS-UAE.log after it has crashed or aborted.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 03 February 2013 at 16:06.
Old 03 February 2013, 17:20   #31
nexusle
Banned

*** Deleted ***

Last edited by nexusle; 23 March 2013 at 13:42.
Old 03 February 2013, 18:09   #32
wizzo

Attached the log after crash.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FS-UAE.log.txt (8.0 KB, 196 views)

Old 03 February 2013, 19:09   #33
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo View Post
Attached the log after crash.
Ah, the .24 version is known to not start on OS X. I thought you meant FS-UAE worked, but not when you tried to use the hard drive. With .24, it will fail to start in all cases!

Please upgrade to 2.1.25 and it should work

(And btw, you should be able to select /dev/diskxx using the "Browse for File" buttons on the hard drives tab in the launcher)
Old 15 November 2013, 19:25   #34
jizmo
Registered Abuser

I successfully followed the instructions on this thread: I first partitioned my SD card on my A1200, then used diskutil to finding out my dev/disk etc and then configured it to FS-UAE which I used to copy the files over. Everything worked perfectly. After that I've partitioned the rest of the card on my A1200 and copied some stuff to another partition.

Now I tried again to use the same card on my mac with the same configuration, with no luck. It doesn't show up in Workbench, it isn't visible in the booting options and HDToolbox doesn't see it even when it's configured to use uaehf.device. Nothing should have changed that I know of. It shows normally in Diskutil (as unrecognized)

Anyone else had this problem?
Attached Files
File Type: txt FS-UAE.log.txt (37.1 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by jizmo; 15 November 2013 at 19:50.
Old 15 November 2013, 21:52   #35
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Relevant config:
Code:
hard_drive_0 = /dev/disk1
From the log file:
Code:
WARNING: could not open /dev/disk1
Either the device path does not exist, or is not readably by your user. You should check that /dev/disk1 exists and that is has sensible file permission. And maybe something has changed on your system and the disk is available by another device path now...
Old 18 November 2013, 12:53   #36
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Either the device path does not exist, or is not readably by your user. You should check that /dev/disk1 exists and that is has sensible file permission. And maybe something has changed on your system and the disk is available by another device path now...
The device path exists ("Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" notification appears on mac, and dev/disk1 appears visible via diskutil, stating it's physical size correctly).

There must be then something else in my system that's preventing the use. It's reeally frustrating since it worked perfectly so many times before
Old 18 November 2013, 18:22   #37
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I had this problem with my new Mac and it was caused by permissions. Try:
Code:
chmod a+rw /dev/disk1
It worked for me.
Old 19 November 2013, 08:30   #38
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I had this problem with my new Mac and it was caused by permissions. Try:
Code:
chmod a+rw /dev/disk1
It worked for me.
The flags I see with ls
Code:
ls -lOe /dev/disk1
are BRW-R-----.

Tried chmod, but I keep on getting "operation not permitted". Looks like there's some more investigating to do.
Old 19 November 2013, 11:40   #39
amigafreak68k

Try:

Code:
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/disk1
than insert your password

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 November 2013 at 12:16. Reason: Added a+rw
Old 25 September 2017, 23:34   #40
RussDCA

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thank you everyone. Finally found some time to dig out my miggy, scoured through floppy disks & found a disk with some of my AMOS experiments.

Following this thread (and the with your final step amigafreak68k, using the sudo command) I've been able to copy my floppy files to an SD & read the card in FS UAE.

These are some 20+ year old memories that have been locked away & they're back. Feels great. Now I just need to remember how to compile AMOS 3D progs now & get these into executable files.

Thanks everyone.