English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 31 May 2019, 12:27   #1
petarku

blue screen on connecting cf hard drive

Hi guys, recently i bought amiga 1200 which i had in childhood. Amiga is working fine using gotek floppy to play games. It is on kickstart 3.0 . Recently i tried to connect one of those preconfigured licence workbench on cf card as a hard disk. It should be plug and play but it is not. At first when i would connect it , it will not boot from it so i thought it is because of cheap connector and reconnected and connected it again. Now it shows blue screen on the boot. If i disconnect drive amiga is booting normally. I was reading about blue screen and it is stated it is custom chip error so i am little puzzled , is it something with amiga that is wrong an or it is just cf hard drive thingy. And why that didnt happen first time when i connected it ? Just to mention that cf card that i am using has workbench 3.1 but it is stated it can be booted on any kickstart higher then 2.05.

Any clue or help it will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 31 May 2019, 13:02   #2
Daedalus

It should just work. are you sure you have all the pins lined up correctly? It's very easy to be 1 row or 1 column out on the IDE port, since it has no guides on the connector. Also, have a look for bent pins on both the CF part and the IDE part. A blue screen at boot happens very early in the boot cycle, so it's not likely to simply a drive compatibility or software issue - it's a more fundamental issue somewhere.
Old 31 May 2019, 14:42   #3
petarku

thanks for the reply. The pins were bent on the ide part after i connected it for first time and after then i push them back to be straight and inline. It could be something you are suggesting as first time when i connected cf it connected very easy, next time i had some problems because of those pins that i needed to get straight and align.
I might just do photos next time and post it here after I check it myself for those pins.
Old 01 June 2019, 19:17   #4
petarku

Hi Daedalus, you were right there was a bending pin on the IDE port. I just straighten it and it is working.
Thanks for tip