English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 August 2001, 08:05   #1
Kre8oR

Question Amiga To PC via Floppy Controller

Apparently there is a way to connect the amiga to the pc via the floppy cable and have the pc make the amiga think it has a disk drive using some special software. Does anyone know where i can get the software and the pinouts for the cable as the floppy drive on my amiga is dead and this seems the easiest way to remedy it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 27 August 2001, 11:19   #2
RetroMan

Uhmmmm, only thing I know, is to connect a 1,44 MB HD Floppy Disk from any PC to the Amiga Floppy Controller, all about that you can find on Aminet !

//RCK: Please son't use sirect signature, use UserCP instead !!
Old 27 August 2001, 17:12   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Overdoc

I only know such a software for the C64's floppy.
If such a software exists then it would also have to emulate ADFs somehow so that the Amiga is loading from the ADF from your PC's HD instead of a real disk.

Do you have a second, external Amiga drive ?
If so then you could disassemble the external's drive from it's case and use it as internal drive.
Then you can put the broken drive in the external's case and try to repair it ( if it is e.g. out of alignment ).
I have had luck in realigning an Amiga drive once

Overdoc
Old 28 August 2001, 00:19   #4
Amigaboy

Quote:
Do you have a second, external Amiga drive ?
If so then you could disassemble the external's drive from it's case and use it as internal drive.
Not if he's using an A1200

Old 28 August 2001, 11:45   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Hmm, I think basically A-500 and A-600/1200 drives are the same, just that A-500 drives are bigger.
So it should work, but it wouldn't be possible to close the case completely.
Old 30 August 2001, 03:19   #6
Kre8oR

Question

I actually know there IS one of these bits of hardware because I have seen a website for it so if ANYONE can jog my memory it would make me a happy amigan again. BTW my amiga is a 600 with a 500Mb hdd NO floppy drives what so ever and i cant get floppy drives ANYWHERE here coz Australia sux.

Old 30 August 2001, 10:19   #7
Amigaboy

Where in Australia? If in NSW, Check out Unitech Electronics (www.unitechelectronics.com)...He'll hook you up

Otherwise, go to www.amiga.com . Look for the dealers (?) section. When it comes up, type Australia and it will show all the dealers in Australia who'll probably be able to help you out

Old 03 September 2001, 05:22   #8
Kre8oR

Ok, I don't think you would be able to actually buy this hardware as I saw it as DIY. I just want to know if anyone else has seen it on a website OR if anyone knows how i can use my amiga, its an amiga 600 with no internal or external disk drive, i have no terminal program on the hdd just some games and wb2, i cant use my 4000 coz it has no disk drive either. I need to know how i can get my dms files off my pc onto my amiga, or anyfiles for that sake and null modem is out of the question due to no terminal program. The only way i know to get the files across is with the special cable.

Old 03 September 2001, 18:40   #9
Amiga1992

I have never in my life heard of such a connection. Ever.

I had teh same problem as you. What did I do? I found a local place that had an Amiga terminal proggie, and he had no problem to conenct one of his FDDs to my Amiga and copy the terminal proggy to my HD. Until I got a new FDD, I had much fun playing shit I dloaded from the Aminet

Of course, why would you want to transfer DMS files, if you have no disk drive?

My suegstion is that you should buy a new FDD. Try eBay Australia, or one of the shops Amigaboy so kindly provided to you.
Old 04 September 2001, 00:53   #10
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Kre8oR
I need to know how i can get my dms files off my pc onto my amiga, or anyfiles for that sake and null modem is out of the question due to no terminal program.
Hmm, if your Amiga can boot into WB from the HD, then I think you can transfer files using AExplorer, because wit this program all you need to have on the Amiga side is a WB. AExplorer will generate a terminal program on the Amiga then, and you can transfer files using the nullmodem cable.
Old 05 September 2001, 02:18   #11
Kre8oR

Smile Speed up 600

Well this AExplorer thing just might work and the reason I want to use DMS files is because I can convert them to Action Rplay File things and I can boot them off the HDD, so i can play stored non-dos games, very handy. I also wanted to know if I can speed up my amiga 600 without having to screw around with it too much (ive only got a 500 left after that).

Old 05 September 2001, 19:00   #12
Amiga1992

Hey, that AR thing sounds very interesting.. how you do it?

You could accelerate your A600 with an 030. Is that what you want to do?
Old 10 September 2001, 22:01   #13
[idoru]

Thumbs up

@Kre8or

I've used Cloanto's Amiga Explorer and it's pretty good. You don't need a floppy drive in your Amiga if you have a hard drive so it sounds ideal for you.

All you need is a serial cable connection to your PC and the Amiga Explorer Software, then it's just a case of starting the setup and following a few instructions and prompts. You should have it going in 5 - 10 minutes. And after the initial install you can start it automatically when you load Workbench in future and then you only need to start the PC side each time, which is all of a double mouse click.

Hope it's what you're after