English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 April 2009, 21:17   #1
stevecole

Need a little help getting started...

Hello. I need to tap someone's knowledge.

Here's my current setup, cobbled together over the last month or so:

Amiga 1200, 3.0 roms
Blizzard IV 68030 @ 50Mhz + 8MB RAM
Internal slimline CD-ROM
IDE CF card HDD mod, 1GB, wb 3.0 installed
PCMCIA CF adapter

I'm getting more RAM asap, either 64 or 128MB, whatever comes along first. I also plan to get a bunch of CF cards and install various systems and set-ups (3.5 and 3.9 once I upgrade the ROMs), the IDE/CF mod sticks out the back of the computer so it's easy to access and change HDD. Only problem is I need a hand to get started...

I'm an Amiga novice. I gamed on a 500+ when I was a kid (around 1990) and again for a short while when I dug the 500 out of storage about 10 years later but I have no (nada, zilch) experience with hard drives and installing stuff. What I want to have sharpish is a bunch of games installed on the hard drive and ready to play at the touch of a button, floppies suck.

From wide reading I understand the general principles of what I need to do but I haven't been able to get the level of understanding I need from the various forums and tutorials. There's a general expectation of knowledge in most discussions that leaves me playing catch up. And where I only get the odd hour or so here and there to devote to the Amiga it's hard to patch all the cracks!

So, can some kind soul give me a really basic and easy to understand lesson in getting files from my PC to my Amiga via my PCMCIA/CF card interface and getting them installed and operational?

I will be forever in your debt. And I do catch on fast, I just need my hand held for the first leap into the void...

Cheers!
Steve
Old 17 April 2009, 23:48   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecole View Post
Here's my current setup, cobbled together over the last month or so:

Amiga 1200, 3.0 roms
Blizzard IV 68030 @ 50Mhz + 8MB RAM
Internal slimline CD-ROM
IDE CF card HDD mod, 1GB, wb 3.0 installed
PCMCIA CF adapter

... can some kind soul give me a really basic and easy to understand lesson in getting files from my PC to my Amiga via my PCMCIA/CF card interface and getting them installed and operational?

Cheers!
Steve
Hi Steve,

The first thing you will need to do is configure your Amiga so that it will mount CF cards inserted into the PCMCIA adapter. Try to keep the adapter plugged into the PCMCIA port at all times and insert/remove the CF cards when you change them. The PCMCIA port pins are easily bent/broken and almost impossible to repair. Leaving the adapter in place will protect them.

Go to Aminet
http://aminet.net/search

Download cfd.lha, fat95.lha, cardpatch.lha and cardreset.lha using your PC.

Extract them using WinRAR.

Transfer the extracted files to your Amiga using a 720kB DOS-formatted floppy disk which your Amiga OS 3.0 will mount using its built-in CrossDOS
filesystem.

Insert lines for cardpatch and cardreset in your startup-sequence (see the docs)

Copy compactflash.device to DEVS: and CF0 to Devs/Dosdrivers

Copy fat95 to L:

Then you'll be able to transfer files back and forth between your PC and Amiga by using the CF card mounted in either machine.

My thanks go to BlueAchenar and Retro-Nerd for supplying some of these instructions to me originally.

Hope this helps you get started,

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 18 April 2009 at 00:30.
Old 18 April 2009, 00:21   #3
DoogUK
Doogster

Just burn all your fav games/proggys to cd and transfer em that way....1 cd holds a lot and i mean a LOT of amiga games/proggys/mods.
Old 18 April 2009, 00:23   #4
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Hello Steve, and welcome to EAB!

When choosing a CF card please keep in mind that not all of them may work. So check this thread.
As for the adapters, most of them work with no problems, try to choose one that reads only the CF format. If you plan to use other cards such as SD and so on, i would advice you to purchase the adapter (multi card reader) sold by AmigaKit.
Here goes other usefull links that will help you install stuff.
(Useful for a real Amiga and WinUAE)
http://guide.abime.net/home.htm
http://classicwb.abime.net/

WHDLoad Games and Demos
http://www.whdownload.com/games.php?name=%&sort=0&dir=0
http://kgwhd.whdownload.com/

Also check here to get aquanted with many amiga utilities,terms and basic shell commands.
http://www.ghira.mistral.co.uk/amiga/utils.html

PS:
Some games like "Moonstone" may not run, to solve this you may have to install an utility called Skick346 and register WHDLOAD.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yoto; 18 April 2009 at 01:47.
Old 18 April 2009, 10:02   #5
stevecole

Thanks guys, that's helpful, I'll have a go at it shortly.

I don't have a floppy drive on my PC, so will have to stick these initial files on a CD. Bearing that in mind, I think I'll take Doogs advice and transfer as much as I can now. I do want to have the CF card transfer malarky setup though, so much easier to transfer the odd game here and there than CD! Better for the environment too if I'm not burning dozens of CD-R every month to transfer a few hundred KB! haha.

The CF card I think will be OK. I stuck it in my Amiga yesterday and it popped straight up on screen as "Canon EOS" and I could open the folder on the card and view the camera RAW files on there. I wondered for a few seconds if there was a plug in for Deluxe Paint 4 that could open Canon 1Ds RAW files... ;-) I'll format the card in my camera but then what do I do? Guessing follow the steps above first and then stick card in and go to drop down menu and select "format" ???

:-D
Old 18 April 2009, 10:34   #6
DoogUK
Doogster

you can actualy keep writing to a cd until it is full up if you dont "close" the cd.

One cd lasts me several months of transfers.
Old 18 April 2009, 11:33   #7
Gordon
Settler

How do you get round the file name problem Doog? when i do it, it only accepts 3 character extentions, so for a .slave, it becomes .sla etc
Old 18 April 2009, 11:40   #8
DoogUK
Doogster

i dont have that problem, do you have joliet/long filenames support in your cd filesystem?
Old 18 April 2009, 12:03   #9
stevecole

A-HA! I have made progress, I think...

Prowler, I checked to see if what you said was already on the Amiga and it is! Huzzah! So, I can skip that step.

I stuck the CF card in and did "quick format" (just "format" wouldn't work) and have now put that in my card reader on my PC. It mounted straight away as a drive and the file system is FAT. Does that all sound gravy so far??

I just downloaded WHDLoad and unpacked it, then dragged the folder tto the CF card. Going to drag a bunch of .adf files on too and the matching stuff from whdownload.com. Is it as simple as dragging to the Amiga desktop???

:-D
Old 18 April 2009, 12:31   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Steve,

I see you've made some progress. Well done!

I don't use WHDLoad myself, but whenever I introduce new programs onto my amiga I use a separate partition on my hard disk, which I have formatted as a separate drive "Work:".

The documentation which comes with WHDLoad will tell you if there is a technique for installing the software, or there might be an installer program included.

Other than what the WHDLoad instructions tell you to do, you are free to drag the files anywhere you like. So, if you don't have a separate 'scratch' drive to use for this, I suggest you create a folder on your Amiga hard drive to hold these files until a more convenient approach occurs to you.

Personally, I don't like littering the desktop with such files, as it makes things look very messy.

Good luck!

prowler

PS. I'm not sure that dragging a file from your CF card to the Amiga desktop actually copies the file, but only modifies the file's icon to 'leave it out' on the desktop. I may be confusing Amiga OS behaviour with that of Mac OS here, so you'll have to try it yourself to be sure.

Last edited by prowler; 18 April 2009 at 13:17.
Old 18 April 2009, 13:15   #11
stevecole

hey Prowler. Thanks again, good advice. I too don't like cluttering my desktops, my macbook and G5 desktops are completely clear apart from the hard drive icon and a couple of folders for whatever my current photo projects are.

Well, I'm really pleased. I've got whdload installed, feel confident about transferring stuff n the card and about installing things. What made me even more happy was realising that the downloads from whdownload are ready to go, no need for mucking about with original disks! I just doubleclicked the icon and the game loaded straight away, from my pcmcia cf card!!! Sure I'll find a tidier solution in due course, but for the time being that'll do!!!

Taking my son out now but will be back later with more questions as they come to me :-D

Thanks again, this is a great community!!!
Old 18 April 2009, 13:21   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey Steve,

Did you see my edit above about dragging files to the desktop? What is your experience of this? Have you tested it / can you test it, please?

prowler
Old 18 April 2009, 15:50   #13
stevecole

I've just got back in and read that. I dragged the folders to the desktop and that moved it from the CF card to the desktop (ie; it wasn't on the card anymore). I think. I'll check again shortly...
Old 18 April 2009, 16:16   #14
DoogUK
Doogster

Here's a suggestion...get a bigger ram stick for that blizzard
Old 18 April 2009, 16:17   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Normally, dragging from one logical disk drive to another will copy the file, whereas dragging from one location to another on the same disk will move the file. I'm not sure what happens when you use the desktop.

It sounds as if the folders have been moved, but to where? If the desktop is stored on the hard drive. then the files should only have been copied. Do you see what I mean?

prowler
Old 18 April 2009, 16:36   #16
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

It does not really move the file, its only a visual aid. Dragging the file to the Desktop area "moves" the file only visually, but the file remains in its original place.
Old 18 April 2009, 16:40   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
It does not really move the file, its only a visual aid. Dragging the file to the Desktop area "moves" the file only visually, but the file remains in its original place.
Hi Yotoxionomai,

Thanks, mate. That's what I had assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
PS. I'm not sure that dragging a file from your CF card to the Amiga desktop actually copies the file, but only modifies the file's icon to 'leave it out' on the desktop. I may be confusing Amiga OS behaviour with that of Mac OS here, so you'll have to try it yourself to be sure.
What you've said confirms it.

prowler
Old 18 April 2009, 20:55   #18
stevecole

Well, I've got my transferring card about a quarter full of games now (1GB card). Been reliving some memories as well as taking the chance to play some stuff I never got round to first time. Ah, brilliant! Going to spend a bit more time tinkering with this, decide what I want to install on my HDD.

I do have another question. 1200s have 2MB chip RAM, right? Why does it only say that there is 1MB then along the top of the workbench screen? See attached picture:

I may just be being stupid. Feel free to brandish the clue stick at me.

Whilst I'm posting pictures...

Here's my baby. She's a little yellow and the previous owner was a bit ragged with the case adding the internal CD and external CF HDD, as well as changing the floppy, but I have plans to spruce her up and paint her matt black, finished off with CDTV keys. Ahhhhhh, lovely.

And here she is in situ in my den. I think she's in rather good company here!

Need to go to Ikea and buy another table though...

Steve
Old 18 April 2009, 21:00   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Steve,

What is shown is the free memory. You're using the rest of it!

prowler
Old 18 April 2009, 21:21   #20
stevecole

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Steve,

What is shown is the free memory. You're using the rest of it!

prowler
Do you know, I thought of that shortly after I sent that... So it was just me being stupid! :-D