English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 July 2009, 21:09   #1
JakeTucker

Cruise for a Corpse question.

Hi all
First post.
I've never owned an Amiga but have memories of using one when I was at college for a couple of years from 94-95.
I've been using UAE for Windows and Linux to play the same games that I played back then.
I like Adventures and I'm trying to find the answer to something.
Cruise for a Corpse.
There seems to be much confusion regarding the existence of a talkie version of this game.
Being new here I'm not used to the finer points of the rules.
So to be safe I won't link but I've read a post on an abandonware forum saying that this game, released for PC on floppies, also came out on CD for the PC in 2 versions. One was a Kixx compilation of 40 games, the other a Delphine collection, but both were exactly the same as the floppy version. That is not a talky.
The same post believes that the reason for all the confusion is because there was some digitized speech on the Amiga diskettes.
Well I played the game a couple of days back through WinUAE. I couldn't hear any speech on the Amiga version I tried.
Is there 2 different versions for Amiga or is the post wrong?

If anybody can shed some light on this it will be appreciated.
Old 14 July 2009, 21:13   #2
Sensi
Unregistered User

I am not sure, I think PC release on CD has dig.speech.

edit - maybe its Maupiti Island PC CD

But there is no digitized speech in CFAC for Amiga.

edit 2 - and welcome to EAB !

Last edited by Sensi; 14 July 2009 at 21:18.
Old 14 July 2009, 21:21   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Didn't the Amiga version have the option to use the Amigas SAY program, the simulated speech program? I'm sure it did.
Old 14 July 2009, 21:22   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Not sure about CFAC, but there was an Operation Stealth version with Amiga Say speech.
Old 14 July 2009, 21:23   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Didn't the Amiga version have the option to use the Amigas SAY program, the simulated speech program? I'm sure it did.
Really???

Had this game back in the day, never heard of that.
Old 14 July 2009, 21:29   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Same here... never seen or heard of a say/speech in the Amiga version.

My longplay just for fun :P: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 July 2009, 21:33   #7
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Not sure about CFAC, but there was an Operation Stealth version with Amiga Say speech.
I think it was an expanded re-rerelease.
Old 14 July 2009, 22:35   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
I think it was an expanded re-rerelease.
AFAIR all Operation Stealth versions had speech if you had 1MB or more.
Old 14 July 2009, 23:47   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
AFAIR all Operation Stealth versions had speech if you had 1MB or more.
Yup.... recommended to play wirh 512kb, as the speech sucks. Also heard that ONLY way to disable speech was to have 512kb.... and also heard that with speech on, you couldn't skip text and had to listen to it all...
Old 15 July 2009, 13:13   #10
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I remember not liking this at the time but all that tells me is that i either didn't have the patience or really didn't dig the 5 disks of loading - mind you i adored Steel Sky

Maybe i need to try it again some time as i love most adventure games and being that it is also Delphine, probably should
Old 15 July 2009, 13:27   #11
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Hmm just taken a look again on Youtube and i must say it's typical Delphine regards to the high production presention and typical lush art.I will likely better apreciate this game these days it would seem

Delphine music i notice sounds like it was all composed by someone more classically trained, i know they used to have their own studio too for sound recording - certainly in Flashback anyway
Old 15 July 2009, 13:36   #12
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Hmm just taken a look again on Youtube and i must say it's typical Delphine regards to the high production presention and typical lush art.I will likely better apreciate this game these days it would seem
It looks great doesn't it.

On a related note, with the latest WHDLoad slave for the game I get a requester saying the program failed because of "the file startup-sequence". It works fine on an older slave. :-/
Old 15 July 2009, 13:40   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
On a related note, with the latest WHDLoad slave for the game I get a requester saying the program failed because of "the file startup-sequence". It works fine on an older slave. :-/
The slave was completely rewritten between 1.3 and 2.0, so I would say that just updating the slave isn't enough. Have you tried KG's preinstalled 2.1 version : http://www.whdownload.com/games/Upda..._v2.1_0108.zip ?
Old 15 July 2009, 13:49   #14
blade002
Zone Friend

I bought the original back then of Cruise for a Corpse and it definitely didn't have a speech option.

@Ironclaw: I owned the original to Operation Stealth and had my A500 expanded to 1meg at the time and i had no problem running the game with no speech but text only. Maybe you played a shoddy cracked version of the game that wouldn't let you shut it off?
Old 15 July 2009, 14:19   #15
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I bought the original back then of Cruise for a Corpse and it definitely didn't have a speech option.

@Ironclaw: I owned the original to Operation Stealth and had my A500 expanded to 1meg at the time and i had no problem running the game with no speech but text only. Maybe you played a shoddy cracked version of the game that wouldn't let you shut it off?
Yes, there is a thread about whdload and Op.Stealth plus speech and different cracked versions.

edit - here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=stealth
Old 15 July 2009, 20:37   #16
JakeTucker

Wow so many replies already. Thanks everybody.
After putting a number of hours into this I'm convinced there is no PC CD speech version. I believe Kixx also made the Delphine collection CD as well as the one with 40 other games.

I played through the game with ScummVM last night as it's just been added. The PC DOS version that is. The Amiga and AtariST versions aren't supported.

By the way Angus I used the KG 2.1 WHDLoad version. It could be your problem.

I've never heard of Amiga's SAY program. Looks like I'll have to do some more 'research'. Having a quick look am I right in thinking it's a speech synth? Was this done totally in software or is a hardware add-on needed.
Blade002 you say the game doesn't have a speech option. Does that include the possibilty of it using SAY?

Adropac2 I don't think the game is as good as some of Delphine's other games. Back in 94 I was 26 and was into shooters and platformers much more. The college which had an Amiga had a teacher who at weekends would let a few people in and play Doom over LAN. So much fun.
As I've got older I've started playing Adventures a lot more. Maybe it's a patience thing. Cruise is a short game though. I just don't think it matches Flashback or Another World.

Apparently there is an Atari ST version. I'm thinking about downloading something like Steem and playing it just to check for any speech.
But I'm 99.9% convinced there is no speech of any kind on any version.
I guess the only way to make it 100% would be to ask somebody who was at Delphine at the time.

Again thanks everyone for your input.
Old 15 July 2009, 20:42   #17
Sensi
Unregistered User

Flashback and Another World are Delphines best games imo.

Say is an utility in Workbench, Amiga OS.

Blade meant Op.Stealth speech option in his reply to Ironclaw.
Old 17 July 2009, 17:22   #18
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
Blade002 you say the game doesn't have a speech option. Does that include the possibilty of it using SAY?
As Sensi has stated, i was referring to the point that Ironclaw made in reference to not being able to turn the speech off for Operation Stealth if you ran it with 1meg and not 512k, of which i told him that i ran it no problem with speech off.

I haven't played the game in such a long time though that i can't go into exact detail as to what it used for to induce speech into the game!? Actually i haven't played the game for 19 years!!! lol... But it was a BRILLIANT game, and is one of my fondest Amiga memories.
Old 19 July 2009, 16:36   #19
JakeTucker

Thanks again for the replies.
I played the AtariST version yesterday. Whilst watching the cricket. So I've played all 3 now.
Interesting seeing the little differences in the colours on each platform. No speech though.

I feel convinced there is no talkie. Like I've said the only way to get a certain answer would be to ask somebody from Delphine. But after putting in a lot of time with this, and my search skills aren't lacking, I feel as though I've gone as far as I can.
Old 20 July 2009, 14:40   #20
Adropac2
Zone Friend

How mad does that sound Sensi, 19 years

I remember like it's only just happened

I guess the Amiga really is that special

Jake

Yes Flashback and Another world are certainly some of their best, FB being probably the most polished of Amiga games as well