English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2008, 17:20   #1
HenryCase

Retrofitting Amikit or AmigaSYS to existing AmigaOS install

Thanks to some great help I received on eab (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=24745), I was able to install OS3.9 on WinUAE. What I am now looking into is whether I could apply Amikit or AmigaSYS to the existing install I have. Please note I only have an AmigaXL CD-ROM, not the standard OS3.9 CD-ROM.

So, can anyone tell me whether it is possible to apply Amikit or AmigaSYS settings/files to an existing AmigaOS install?
Old 16 November 2008, 20:28   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Keeping in mind that this comment is just off the top of my head (not checked) I have a feeling that AmigaSYS's install does recognise the AmigaXL CD-ROM.

Amikit (again if memory serves) installs using OS 3.1 floppy images, & you then upgrade the system to 3.9 from within the set up. Recognises your CD..? I suspect so, but a nose round the website prior to downloading should clinch it.

Um, Amithlon (& AmigaXL) work rather well from that particular CD.

If I'm mistaken on both of the above one doesn't need to give up hope:
Examining the installers for either 'distro' will likely reveal how to add them to a current 3.9 install...
...with luck it will be no more complicated than copying the files directly over 3.9 - some care may be needed with the contents of SYS:s & the specific CPU libs required...
...and you'll likely need to make sure your partitions are present / labeled as your chosen 'distro' expects.

Last edited by Charlie; 16 November 2008 at 21:26.
Old 16 November 2008, 21:19   #3
HenryCase

@Charlie
Thanks for your reply. I had tried using AmigaSYS with the AmigaOS XL CD I have, didn't seem to like it much. I decided to just install Amikit + AmigaOS XL from scratch, rather than adding the files to my existing AmigaOS3.9 install. Posting this from iBrowse running in Amikit.
Old 16 November 2008, 23:50   #4
Charlie
. . Mouse . .