English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 26 December 2008, 16:06   #1
cebulba

Publisher vs. Distributor

Hi there.

I'm currently reorganising my collection of originally boxed AMIGA games. I did this with the first 1000 games years ago but later didn't went on...and now have some spare time to put everything in order (about 4000 AMIGA games).

For this I'm USING HOL *yes*

I normally place games by the same publisher together. So all SIERRA games are in one shelf, all Software 2000 games in one shelf etc...

I therefore use HOL to give me lists by publisher.
And now comes the problem:

It seems that there is often a mix-up between Distributor and Publisher in HOL data entries.
From my point of view a game is published once or twice as often. This said a game could have been published in Europe by Company A and published worldwide (or often in US only) by Company B.
While publishing the games in different countries those games normally get a different box as well.

1 Example:
"PRISON" by Actionware has been Published by ACTIONWARE in US, while in Europe by KRISALIS. 2 different packages, one game.

Some games have been "re-published" in bugdet box releases, like PLATINUM Edition etc - the Budget label sometimes is by a different company, too (but again a different box). Others get up to 4 box variations by the same company (Space Quest for example comes boxed in 4 different SIERRA releases).

Now - when you look at the "big ones" in HOL, e.g. Mindscape or Electronic Arts a lot of games are stated as being "published by Mindscape or Electronic Arts".

In most cases this isn't correct hence Mindscape is often "only" the Distributor worldwide or Europe. Same applies to EA.

3 Examples:

a) "Magic Pockets" - Developed by GRAFTGOLD and PUBLISHED by RENEGADE. MINDSCAPE is only the Distributor worldwide. For US markets the game has been published by KONAMI (in different box, yes!).

b) Most Australian PAL games are often Distributed by MINDSCAPE while using the same box, e.g. FATE-Gates of Dawn. This is indicated by the typical small sticker on the left hand side.
DrBong can clarify this for sure.

c) "Aquatic Games" published by MILLENIUM. Hol Entry says: "Published by Electronic Arts worldwide - and below "distributed by Electronic Arts in Europe". Look at the back of the box "DISTRIBUTED by EA". This seems to be a mistake.
By the way I have never seen a EA published box for 10 years collecting.

I may be wrong on the examples listed here but I'm sure there are hundreds of mistaken publishers for distributors in HOL. Which background has the information on HOL?

I won't call a "sticker" on the box front as being "published", in special if you look in detail on the Mindscape sticker on the side of the box where often is stated "distributed by Mindscape".

This discussion brings me back to the "One version is common, at least one other version is rare" "Rarity guide" on HOL. If you look on Aquatic games this seems to be totally ridiculous if there isn't a 2nd edition of that game (at least you don't refer to the budget release which I'm not sure to exist).

edit: There should be a "distribution" Entry for each game to clarify these things - or the Publisher Information has to be more verified.

Last edited by cebulba; 26 December 2008 at 16:22.
Old 26 December 2008, 17:12   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulba

a) "Magic Pockets" - Developed by GRAFTGOLD and PUBLISHED by RENEGADE. MINDSCAPE is only the Distributor worldwide. For US markets the game has been published by KONAMI (in different box, yes!).
Magic pockets was coded by Renegade (Bitmap bros team), and distributed by themselves. Graftgold has nothing to do with this game.
The US publisher is indeed Konami.

Quote:
b) Most Australian PAL games are often Distributed by MINDSCAPE while using the same box, e.g. FATE-Gates of Dawn. This is indicated by the typical small sticker on the left hand side.
DrBong can clarify this for sure.
I have bought Astro Marine Corps from an aussie guy and yes it's true.

Quote:
c) "Aquatic Games" published by MILLENIUM. Hol Entry says: "Published by Electronic Arts worldwide - and below "distributed by Electronic Arts in Europe". Look at the back of the box "DISTRIBUTED by EA". This seems to be a mistake.
By the way I have never seen a EA published box for 10 years collecting.
Aquatic Games is was internally by Millenium but published AND distributed
everywhere by EA.

Yes you saw one, Aquatic games is one of those, counting Desert Strike,
Road Rash, Black Crypt, Centurion of Rome and finally Risky Woods.

There's no mistakes whatsoever.[/quote]

I may be wrong on the examples listed here but I'm sure there are hundreds of mistaken publishers for distributors in HOL. Which background has the information on HOL?

I won't call a "sticker" on the box front as being "published", in special if you look in detail on the Mindscape sticker on the side of the box where often is stated "distributed by Mindscape".

This discussion brings me back to the "One version is common, at least one other version is rare" "Rarity guide" on HOL. If you look on Aquatic games this seems to be totally ridiculous if there isn't a 2nd edition of that game (at least you don't refer to the budget release which I'm not sure to exist).

Quote:
Aquatic games exists only as retail version. I'm not personally aware of a budget edition.

But like all the games published AND distributed by EA on amiga, the language is indicated on the side sticker of the box.
Old 26 December 2008, 17:24   #3
Another World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulba View Post
There should be a "distribution" Entry for each game to clarify these things - or the Publisher Information has to be more verified.
I think the important thing is the Publisher Information to be verified,
since the Distributor is not so important, infact variations
on boxed games are due to different publishers, no matter how the distributor is

Old 26 December 2008, 17:52   #4
cebulba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Magic pockets was coded by Renegade (Bitmap bros team), and distributed by themselves. Graftgold has nothing to do with this game.
The US publisher is indeed Konami.
my fault - got confused with some other games.
"Fire and Ice" e.g. was the GRAFTGOLD thing. There is a "Mindscape" label on the front. With that Sticker Mindscape is often refered as Publisher on other HOL games.
and you haven't stated why Mindscape is being named as Publisher then on Magic Pockets..

Quote:
I have bought Astro Marine Corps from an aussie guy and yes it's true.
from Bob obviously ;-)

Quote:
Aquatic Games is was internally by Millenium but published AND distributed
everywhere by EA.

Yes you saw one, Aquatic games is one of those, counting Desert Strike,
Road Rash, Black Crypt, Centurion of Rome and finally Risky Woods.

There's no mistakes whatsoever.
My EA Box comment was referring to an EA release of Aquatic Games.
How do you verify that EA is DISTRIBUTOR AND PUBLISHER (if said on the box to be distributor). Millenium is also quoted as Publisher.

@AnotherWorld: correct.
@dlfrsilver: please correct your quotes. The last comment needs to be clarified. I wasn't after the language. So if there is no 2nd version of Aquatic Games. What the heck should the "rarity scale" say?

Last edited by cebulba; 26 December 2008 at 17:59.
Old 26 December 2008, 18:07   #5
cebulba

2 more correct examples, while I'm at THALION and Electronic Zoo:

1) Thalion games have been republished by Grandslam. Using the same cover art with a Grandslam Label on it.
Two Publishers. One Game. One box (more or less).
Chambers of Shaolin Boxscan

btw: the Thalion box may just a replacement of an Atari box with AMIGA sticker on it...

2) "Khalaan" by Rainbow Arts / Electronic Zoo.
Two Publishers. One Game. One Box (instead of a PRINTED Logo on the back)
Khalaan Boxscan

btw: there is a third edition of the box, smaller than the standard European Box.
Old 27 December 2008, 01:40   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

About Khalaan there is a third version you're not aware of, the french version.

Khalaan was licence to rainbow arts for europe and electronic zoo by Chip (the french company that made Jeanne d'arc).
Old 07 February 2009, 12:44   #7
cebulba

Quote:
There should be a "distribution" Entry for each game to clarify these things - or the Publisher Information has to be more verified.
is this being discussed in the "hidden" section? any other ideas?
Old 26 August 2009, 11:37   #8
cebulba

Quote:
is this being discussed in the "hidden" section? any other ideas?
while moving on with other publishers...there is still no solution to the distributor entry.
Old 26 August 2009, 12:59   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Of course there is a solution. We're correcting entries when they are incomplete or incorrect.

Is there other pbs ?