English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 March 2010, 12:01   #21
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Thanks for help so far guys but I think you're being far too kind in giving me the benefit of knowing what I'm doing and being familiar with the system, my experience extends to owning a Miggy 500 from 90-93, having a shed load of games, demos and creating the odd (albeit shit) MOD and Deluxe Paint 2 image!

It's very weird that my CF reader in the side aknowledges my 128mb card but not 4gb, so you're saying IF I insert it inside via (already have) IDE, it'll show? I thought the side reader and internal were pretty much (whilst seperate) the same type of connection?

Btw, went to great lengths to obtain correct workable card type, in Sandisk II Extreme...

Also, how the HELL do you install FAT95 and the other (escapes me at the mo') file????? - remember, TOTAL idiot here and WHY isn't ClassicWB an .adf? but a bunch of weird files?

I really wish someone was based near Liverpool who could help me out!!! or could send my CF card to someone trustworthy here if you fancy the challenge and making a quick £5!

I've nearly been reduced to buying a 'ready made' kit from the Bay :'( for £40!

Last edited by ipod_sock; 10 March 2010 at 12:26.
Old 10 March 2010, 12:42   #22
Allen1

Hi there ipod_sock,

I opened the fat95.lha and cfd.lha files using winrar on my laptop and extracted the files there. I then copied the english folder from fat95 and the other files from cfd to my Ram disk on the Amiga (you can use your PCMCIA card and Amigakit floppy). These files would normally go on your hard drive in the drawers mentioned below, you could however also create a bootable floppy disk and remove some not needed files and place the files as you would in a hard drive to save your Amigakit disk from excessive use.

I have to go out so it will probably be a while before I look in here again but maybe this will help you to see where the files go OK. ;)

Installation is done by using the install icon that is in the drawer of the language you select
=====================================================================

* Doubleclick that "install_fat95" icon to install.
* Doubleclick the "MS0" (internal floppy) or "MS1" example icons to mount now.
* Or copy them into the DEVS:DOSDrivers drawer to auto-mount at system start time.

You should end up with the files mentioned in the drawers L, C and DEVS :-
Workbench l:fat95
Workbench l:install95
Workbench c:SetFileSize
Workbench c:debug95
Workbench c:dd
Workbench c:boot95
Workbench DEVS:Messydisk.device
Workbench DEVS:DOSDrivers MS0 ---> will mount itself automatically on bootup if placed here
Workbench DEVS:DOSDrivers MS1 ---> will mount itself automatically on bootup if placed here
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cfd instalation
The cfd program archive or drawer if it had been extracted contains 2 more drawers ie C and DEVS.
The contents of C need to go into your hard drives Workbench C folder ie
pcmcia speed
pcmciacheck
cfddebug

The contents of DEVS need to go into your hard drives Workbench DEVS folder ie
compactflash.device
CF0.info
CF0

To mount your PCMCIA card double-click DEVS: CF0 (Big Icon) and insert your card, if all went well you should now be able to see a drive Icon and be able to access the card.

SHOW ALL FILES is a must for nearly all of the above and all of the files mentioned are in the fat95.lha anc cfd.lha archives
Old 10 March 2010, 17:17   #23
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Ooooo, that looks good and detailed Allen1, will give it a whirl once I get in, hopefully NOT another 3am'er tonight/this morning... I feel like SUCH a NOOb just to reiterate some of the earlier issues, is it normal for the 4gb NOT to show up in the sane way the 128mb DOES? Is that because of the 2gb limit, even on wb3.1? but IF you plug it INTERNALLY everything Should be rosey right???

Again, would have liked the challenge but if one of my esteemed Amiga brothers can physically help, as in me send 4gb card via post... that'd be awesome, not lazy, just hav to get to bed before 3am!!!
Old 10 March 2010, 17:40   #24
Allen1

Hi there ipod_sock,

it is the PCMCIA socket that has problems with certain cards, this card should be seen OK though unless you have already formatted it via an Amiga emulator or the Amiga. The IDE connector on the motherboard is where the 2 GB per partition limit comes into play (so its the internal drive that needs to have partitions less than 2GB in size).

Once you have partitioned and formatted the 4GB, it will no longer be seen in Windows or the Amiga's PCMCIA slot (if you ever try it for some reason), the format is alien to Windows and the cfd and fat 95 are there to read a Windows formatted card and as the card is formatted for an Amiga, it no longer works via Windows. Just think of it as trying to read an Amiga floppy on a PC (different formats).
Old 10 March 2010, 20:47   #25
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Please note, just in case anyone else feels like contributing, we are referring to an Amiga600 as opposed to a 1200, which was the machine the original thread referred to.
Old 10 March 2010, 23:14   #26
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Ipod_sock.

It looks like you are trying to setup your CF card as a Hard drive in the PCMCIA socket, this is not possible. You need to connect the CF card via an IDE-CF adapter inside the Amiga, do you have one of these? Edit sorry I see in your original post you do have an IDE-CF Adapter, I'm assuming this is connected in your photo's where no device is showing up?

Also I see you are using an A600 and you state the rom is 37,350 as far as I am aware you'll not be able to use workbench 3.1 unless you have a 3.1 rom in your Amiga.

If you want to use Classic Workbench with the rom version you have you will need to use the GAAE version which is designed and setup for the Amiga 500/600.

I've put a 3.1 rom in my A600 and I am using the 68k version of Classic workbench which is designed for A500/600 with 3.1 rom, this option is available to you if you upgrade the roms in your A600.

I understand you want to run WHDLoad, do you have an SRAM memory card that you will use? I ask this because the standard 1mb (or 2mb if you have a chip ram expansion in the A600's trapdoor) is not enough as most games require 2mb+

I am happy to help you setup your card over MSN or over the phone but you'll need that CF-IDE adapter inside your Amiga and some extra memory to use WHDLoad. In fact I would be happy to setup your card for you if you post it to me.

Please let me know if there is anything on my post you don't understand, Iv'e tried to be as clear as possible.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 11 March 2010 at 00:35.