Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 May 2015, 23:24   #41
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueraven View Post
tricky one too call Gunship 2000 maybe

Most underrated would be Golden Axe
Are you kidding? GS2000 was awsome! Game made you work for that purple heart

I'd say those big arcade conversions (particularly SEGA) always came with more hype than quality.. I mean.. OutRun.. Thunderblade, Shinobi, Afterburner.. All pretty crappy on Amiga (and a lot of other platforms to be fair)
Old 06 May 2015, 22:10   #42
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Rise of the Robots and Capital Punishment.

Disgusting !
Old 07 May 2015, 02:18   #43
rare_j
Zone Friend

Probably Zool was the most disappointing. To complete the hype train it even had a brilliant demo on CU Amiga, but the full game was rubbish.
Paid money for that game on the strength of the demo... and still sore about it!
Old 07 May 2015, 09:43   #44
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
Nobody mentioned Shadow Of The Beast yet??
The game was pretty much a system seller, I don't know how you can call that overrated.
Old 07 May 2015, 13:57   #45
Nosferax

Overrated in the sense that the game play wasn't up to the level of the graphic presentation. It was a great tech demo, but not necessarily a great game at least not up to what the game rag of the time said it was.
Old 07 May 2015, 15:57   #46
Amiga1992

Rise of the robots was hands down the most overrated pre-release hype shit ever. I remember all the excitement all around it and then it released and all the reviews were like "wait, what??".
Old 07 May 2015, 16:00   #47
s2325
Zone Friend

My local pirate was so kind he copied for me few Rise of the Robots disks for free...
Old 07 May 2015, 16:14   #48
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Are you kidding? GS2000 was awsome! Game made you work for that purple heart

I'd say those big arcade conversions (particularly SEGA) always came with more hype than quality.. I mean.. OutRun.. Thunderblade, Shinobi, Afterburner.. All pretty crappy on Amiga (and a lot of other platforms to be fair)
When the main problem is that SEGA AM R&D teams used Nec PC9821 to develop the coin-ops..... Outrun, Thunderblade, shinobi, Golden Axe to name fews used chunky stored & displayers sprites and tilemaps.

Since the devs for conversion never got the original assets, you got crap conversions..... But brought out with the Sega marking..... shame....
Old 07 May 2015, 17:51   #49
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
Overrated in the sense that the game play wasn't up to the level of the graphic presentation. It was a great tech demo, but not necessarily a great game at least not up to what the game rag of the time said it was.
That is true although I don't find it fair to only rate up the graphics - its the entire atmosphere that is brilliant which also includes the music and the overall design and mood that is set in it. Near perfection, too bad there wasn't much room left to put in some more variety.

But did Psygnosis ever try to sell it as anything more than that? I don't think so. I don't know about you but I got the game because it audio-visually impressed me and I got what I asked for. That makes me overrated, not the game
Old 07 May 2015, 18:52   #50
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That is true although I don't find it fair to only rate up the graphics - its the entire atmosphere that is brilliant which also includes the music and the overall design and mood that is set in it. Near perfection, too bad there wasn't much room left to put in some more variety.

But did Psygnosis ever try to sell it as anything more than that? I don't think so. I don't know about you but I got the game because it audio-visually impressed me and I got what I asked for. That makes me overrated, not the game
Most of the time the overrating was done by the press, not by the studio. Many time they based their impression of a game on some early code and marketing blurb. There wasn't any "trust but verify" in gaming journalism back in the day or even today if you take into account reviewers sleeping with game designer for exclusivity and good rating.
Old 08 May 2015, 19:10   #51
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What? You mean you didn't buy it on the strength of the poster and T-shirt???

I suppose it was the local game shops that were running the title screen continuously in their windows, while a dozen gooey-eyed school-kids gazed in awe at the multi-parallax scrolling going on.

Oddly, I still find myself going back to it again and again....
Old 09 May 2015, 10:09   #52
lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Just a correction since sooo many spells it wrong.

its = the one, one in particular etc...
it's = it is....

Like, it's a nice weather today..... not, its a nice weather today....
!!
First you said "Just a correction since sooo many spells it wrong."

This is wrong it should be "Just a correction since so many spell it wrong"

I would even change it up further by adding "Just a correction as so many people spell it incorrectly."

You then said "It's a nice weather today." and "Its a nice weather today.".

The "a" should not be in the sentence. ;-)

At the end of the day not everyone is perfect, just post about the topic and leave this sort of thing for work. :-)

But anyway, Ocean games were fantastic and I would not put them in the over hyped section.

Gunship 2000 was another good game. Some people mentioned the First Samurai but I enjoyed that too.

It came from the Desert was over hyped, graphics and sound were great but game play was so so.
Old 09 May 2015, 12:07   #53
trydowave

Shadow of the Beast gets a bad rap. Even though it only has one life the game isn't cheap. No unfair deaths. Just takes a little patience and you can complete it. I finished it in a few months. I enjoyed it immensely back in the day. The one thing that pissed me off was not being able to skip the death sequence. I saw that a lot

Shadow of the Beast II is a different story
Old 09 May 2015, 17:13   #54
danwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueraven View Post
tricky one too call Gunship 2000 maybe

Most underrated would be Golden Axe
i liked gunship 2000

its probably in the top 10 of the amiga games i played the most!
Old 09 May 2015, 17:16   #55
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I think Zool is the correct answer. From the little that I saw, it wasn't the Amiga's answer to Sonic.
Old 09 May 2015, 18:25   #56
Nosferax

I don't mind Zool. I even have it on my Genesis too. It's an ok game with a nice lively presentation. But it was overhyped by the gaming rag of the time.
Old 12 May 2015, 22:24   #57
DisposableHero

Reviews of Zool were for the game they wanted, not the game they were playing. Pretty quickly people were murmuring that it didn't deserve the hype and high ratings. Rise of the Robots was another story, all the reviews were either raves or ultra-critical - seemingly dependent on whether the reviewer played it for a bit at Mirage's office, or bought it themselves after release (no pre-release review copies were sent out). Both mediocre games at best in my view, but at least with RoTR the graphics were amazing so I can see why it tempted people at the time.
Old 15 May 2015, 16:33   #58
spiff
Oh noes!

Rise of the robots.

When I finally played it, I thought I was doing something wrong, it couldn't be that bad??

And on a personal note, the preview of Streetfighter II in CU amiga showing the 256 colour VGA as amiga.. man I was hyped.
Old 15 May 2015, 17:42   #59
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
Yeah I'd agree with that - arguably the most impressive game graphics for its time, but nowhere near the gameplay of Mario.